Bleed Bosch ABS | FerrariChat

Bleed Bosch ABS

Discussion in '348/355' started by gatekeeper, Jul 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gatekeeper

gatekeeper Rookie

Jun 8, 2021
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi,

During my removal of the engine, I at the time thought the quickest method to stop the rear brake lines from dripping was to remove the fluid from the reservoir. My intention was that I'd need to re-bleed the brakes and clutch anyway after refitting the engine.

Downside is that I believe I've introduced a lot of air to the ABS unit and whilst I've managed to bleed the system with a pressurised bleed kit, I suspect I still have air in the ABS unit. The symptoms are that the brake pedal is a bit spongy and has more movement than I expect (although I'd never driven the car prior to engine removal). The car is drivable, but I want to tighten up the movement. Maybe its meant to be like this.

Does anyone have any tips/procedures to removing the air? I'd read that you need a diagnostics tool to activate the ABS actuators, which I don't have and is another job on the list....or to find somewhere slippy, which I'd rather not do.

Thanks
    Paul

2. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    2 person process to do this.
    Turn key to on - just not started.
    This turns on the ABS system.

One person in drivers seat.
    One person works their way around the bleeders.

Drivers seat pushes pedal while bleeder opens. Push all way to floor hold.
    Bleeder closes.
    Driver pumps again to build pressure.

Do next bleeder.

Don't forget to do the clutch as well.. they are on same system.

Check fluid reservoir often.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You likely have to bleed the master cylinder itself too since you ran it dry. Search "dead head".

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    You will need to bleed the master without a doubt. I did same thing. I also after bleeding still had spongy brakes and the only way after that was to hook up to an SD or Leonardo.
    That is the process though and it may work after bleeding the master

5. gatekeeper

gatekeeper Rookie

Jun 8, 2021
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks all. Some great advice and looks like I'll be busy at the weekend.

Will let you know how I get on

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I did not and still do not understand why it would not bleed by sucking oil with my motif bleeder but after multiple attempts I gave up and used an SD

SoCal1 likes this.
  7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Yuup best way with the SD. The abs needs to pump out all the air in its modulation loop. Or you can go lock up the brakes activate the abs then bleed again LOL

8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi Tim could a person just apply power to the abs motor or does the system have solenoids as well. When the Leonardo is bleeding them it seems like it is opening and closing solenoids as well.
    This doe not happen if you plug lines so that is a CRITICAL step for diy engine outs with out an SD Just for the brotherhood