Removing gas tank on 550 | FerrariChat

Removing gas tank on 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dersark_painclinic, Jul 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Sorry guys it appears time consuming work but it is worst than that, I have gone this far picture # 1 . Every thing disconnected and ready to pull out but I do not think it will happen. The right side of the tank two ports sticking out is not going to allow the tank come out. Any help from the ones done this appreciate. I am very carful don not damage the trunk rubber trims.
    2- the valve edges glued by the mechanic to stop the gas smell but still I was getting it.
    picture 2 And 3 Is the front valves with tubing, the part catalog table # 13 for US may 99
    Pictured a different diagram for the valve and tubing, mine is more likely for non US may 99 part catalog 12, I am going to submit a picture of valves to Daniel at Recambi.
    Any way any tricks to pull this monster out is a blessing. I will get back when I start removing the pumps for repair. Sark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    tank will not come out because?

3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I tried to get mine out but there was no way it was coming out without removing the trunk gasket so I replaced the valves with the tank pulled back as far as I could. it was a biotch.

4. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    In case you have not bookmarked it yet, have a look at moorfan's thread which includes detailed steps on how to remove the fuel tank.

5. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Dave the right two ports protrusions are the main reason not allowing to come out, I don’t know how Moorfan or others pulled the tank out. I thought about removing the rubber trim for more room , I may try today to see if that gives more room. It would be much more easier to work on it on the bench , but if does’t then I have no choice.
    Timmo , it checked Moorfan’t documentations too, thanks

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The rubber trim pulls right off and you can replace it no problem. The trim is U channel and self grips the metal trunk rim. The trim has metal base and rubber against the lid so pull from the metal rubbercoated base of the trim.

7. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I dont know for 550, but the 456 tank is glued to the frame underneed....so maybe you need some force to loosen it up.

8. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    The problem is getting the tank out of the trunk, I will try remove the trim first to make little bit more opening for removal.

9. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Okay, all it needed to remove the rubber trim, the tank came out in less that 2 minuets honestly less than 2, picture 1. The valves all three are same part # 175937 which listed as Not USA May 99, USA 2000 in parts catalog.
    Thanks FBB, Dave and others for help.

Attached Files:

Bas and Qavion like this.
  10. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    Good job.
    Doesn't removing the "disareator" at the top of tank allow to reach the front valve leaving the tank in situ?

11. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Timmo, disareator is separate from front valves, the valves are 3 “ tall, ( in situ do not have clearance to pull out) you have release the fastening metal belts one on each side to pull the tank couple inches forward, (leave all other connections on ) towards you to gives you enough room overhead to remove the valves , good luck

12. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Okay I got this far, after removing the gas tank the. Next project is removing the 0 ring supporting the fuel pumps. I found this variable pin spanner on Amazon for $10 . The pins are removable and can be replaced by different pins or screws, Surprisingly it is very strong and solid tool , I did little modification to expand more. Picture #1, it takes no time or effort to remove the 0 ring.
    Next project to remove the pump itself, I used a 3 “ x 1” one eight thick plate and drilled in the middle to get on the middle screw between the fuel hook up lines with lose screw on it so your fingers can get behind it and with little jiggling comes out very easy picture # 2 .
    In order to pull the whole thing out you should losses the bolt on the metal rail and separate the fuel pump then with some maneuvering g removing the whole thing. Picture #3
    The rubber pump supporter it’s already started deteriorating but still in one piece picture # 4. Instead the Anti vibration plate at the bottom hard to find so badly crashed, picture #5. that needs to be replaced what FBB recommended before.
    I removed and cleaned as much as could but still there are debris’s in the tank
    I am thinking to flush this clean before I put things back together, considering tank is made from aluminum what are my options flush with water or diluted simple green ? As always appreciate colleagues help. Sark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  13. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    How critical is these hairy crakes around the bottom of the neck of the retaining screw and fuel entry ports, I have it on both face plates. I believe they happens when we pull and wiggle to pull the face plate out. I examined very closely and can’t make the crack larger. The new metal ones are extremely expensive. Any one. Consider putting back them in service . Sark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian