Do I Stay or Do I Go | FerrariChat

Do I Stay or Do I Go

Discussion in '348/355' started by fjb, Jul 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fjb

fjb Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 12, 2006
    Full Name:
    UNK
    1992 348Tbss - dropped a valve in Cyl 6. have acquired NOS service engine heads (head - > cam covers. NOS piston, rings and a liner. Do I fix it or move it on? I have had the car 14 years, have put over 30k miles on it and have performed the engine our twice + other needs as they have arose. Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You mean a valve failed and sheared and the seat dropped into the cylinder? It the whole valve came loose and dropped in. My that is unusual was the valve clearance in spec, must be a reason it failed? This sound's very odd. Got me worried now.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Ouch. I would consider repairing it if the car means enough to you, because the hit you will take on resale will likely exceed the repair cost. Seems a rare occurrence for this to happen??

4. fjb

fjb Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 12, 2006
    Full Name:
    UNK
    i have not taken it apart. I have removed all sparkplugs on the the 5-8 bank and scoped the piston. I can see dings in the piston on #6 plus the damaged plug. No damage in any other cylinder. I was moving along at a pretty good speed. all of a sudden felt a flutter, nothing else. exited the highway still just a flutter. as i slowed i think the valve dropped into the cylinder. I do not see a hole in the piston or the liner (that I can see)

5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Fix it

johnk... and allandwf like this.
  6. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    Repair it, you do't move on your offspring when they get ill ! ( I hope lol.)