Monterey/Pebble Beach...are Europeans having a hard time coming to the US due to COVID? | FerrariChat

Monterey/Pebble Beach...are Europeans having a hard time coming to the US due to COVID?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ExcelsiorZ, Jul 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I spoke to a well-known designer based in Italy a week ago and he said he was not able to gain permission to enter the U.S. for weekend of Monterey/Pebble Beach. Have others in Europe had difficulty gaining admission/permission to enter the U.S. for the event(s) in Monterey?

technom3 and Texas Forever like this.
  2. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    There are some exceptions; but in general

“It is not possible for most British nationals to enter the USA if they have been in the UK, Ireland, Schengen zone, Iran, Brazil, China, South Africa or India within the previous 14 days.”

ExcelsiorZ likes this.
  3. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    International attendance will be very low this year. Maybe the crowds will be slightly less, one can hope.

4. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded" :p

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    All Europeans are still banned from entering USA. This ban has been going on since March 2020. Just today I spoke to the US Embassy in Switzerland again.
    Europe lets Americans in since many months. America doesn't let Europeans in...........

Marcel Massini

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Marcel, truly you are the exception to the rule.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

That’s correct: only way to come to the USA is via a 2 week stay in a non Schengen era such as Costa Rica, DUbai (that’s how the idiot Shmee got in)…
    NOTE that even that doesn’t guarantee entrance: rhe customs officer has the last word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That is exactly why I have not been there is some 10+ years while I regularly travel to the area to race and fish.

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Hmmm really? A couple friends of mine and their little kids flew to US two months ago from Germany and just flew back last week. My friend is American, wife German, kids (under 4) born there. Never heard about them having issues getting in.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

#11 Natkingcolebasket69, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2021
    Because he is American. The rule lets wife and kids come if married to an American but that’s it

Nembo1777 likes this.
  11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The answer is simple: you said "my friend is American", so he DOES have an American passport. That is ALL he needs and even includes wife and kids.
    I do not have an American passport, I have a Swiss one. Hence I remain banned. Despite being fully vaccinated with all paperwork, test certificates, etc etc etc

The whole American procedure is totally unfair. I have been in USA more than 150 times in 44 years and never even killed a fly on American soil.

Marcel Massini

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Yeah and that’s even more unfair for people like my parents - same boat as u but they can’t come see their sons (me) and their grandchildren born during Covid. The all thing is so aggravating it’s beyond upsetting me.
    U could come if you travel via Dubai, turkey, Costa Rica, Mexico so long as u stay there 14 days.

ExcelsiorZ likes this.
  13. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Sounds about right!

But then, why would we want to go to the states???!

tritone likes this.
  14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Well, to go to Monterey/Pebble Beach, for one thing. That’s the thread topic.

ExcelsiorZ, Nembo1777 and BJK like this.
  15. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Please keep the posts strictly limited to dispassionate advice of a practical nature on travel arrangements and keep the thread free of political commentary. This is not P&R.

Some posts have been removed. No bans issued at this time.

Many thanks,
    Andrew.

Lusso123 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  16. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The UK has just announced opening its borders to US citizens who have been vaccinated without quarantine, so I still might be able to go to Goodwood Members’ Meeting in October after all.

To the sentiment expressed in #14 above: You Brits have the best car events in the world....and not just Goodwood. Appreciate those and don't sweat missing Monterey too much.

ExcelsiorZ likes this.
  17. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    This is so bizarre, un-American and unfair. Whatever happened to reciprocity? Over half of the entire US population has been vaccinated. America, the land of the free, and the home of the BRAVE. Time to turn off the torch light atop the statue of liberty. Seriously, it is hard to imagine Pebble Beach without Europeans.....an event where the vast majority of cars celebrated were built by Europeans. This also means cars normally shipped in from Europe and elsewhere overseas will not be at Pebble Beach, the Quail, etc. When world famous car designers and others from Europe cannot gain admission to the USA it is a sad day for America.

Lusso123, Nicolas21, LVP488 and 3 others like this.
  18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I am a Swiss citizen. This week I did apply (again) at the US Embassy in Berne, Switzerland, for a NIE National Interest Exception.
    Denied.
    (Since 1977 I have attended Monterey Car Week every August, every year, more than 40 times in a row, seriously.)

Marcel Massini

of2worlds, ExcelsiorZ and Nicolas21 like this.
  19. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Travel rules at the moment are uncoordinated, irrational and constantly shifting. The US is by no means unique, almost every country has measures that are unjustified to other nations (and curiously lenient to others). It's the same for most people trying to travel to Australia, New Zealand, China, Singapore. The lack of reciprocity (noted by Marcel) demonstrates a massive failure in diplomacy, around the world.

It's a mixture of politics, fear, demagoguery, incompetence and reason (there are good reasons for closing borders right now, from anywhere to anywhere).

Let's not single out the US. Try being an actual New Zealander, with NZ nationality and passport, working in Europe and wanting to go home to your country right now. Much sadder than a European, however blameless, trying to get to the US.

Though I feel Marcel's pain. At the moment my usual business trip to Hong Kong, Shanghai and Singapore from London, six nights plus two on a plane, would take seven weeks, including six weeks in hotel quarantine, if I were allowed in, which I likely wouldn't be. Massive loss in business, but flip side is I get to see my family more, no jet lag, and more time to drive my Ferraris.

Jack-the-lad, Boomhauer and Lusso123 like this.
  20. Natkingcolebasket69

National Interest Exception lol

Boomhauer likes this.
  21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Maybe but NOT before the 16th August 2021.

Marcel Massini

Nembo1777 likes this.
  23. Natkingcolebasket69

U could have gone to Costa Rica, Mexico, turkey, Dubai (like shmee) to enter USA… so long as I stayed there 15 days.

24. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Even if I did any of that I wouldn't have a guarantee that I can enter the U.S..
    Plus, what please should I do 15 days in CR, MEX, TUR or DUB? Some of these countries are the worst places in the world.
    Makes zero sense at all.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.