Cali T Deadly Crash Houston TX | FerrariChat

Cali T Deadly Crash Houston TX

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by SLViper1, Jul 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
  2. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I talked with some of the guys from our local FCA chapter, and they think this was a rental car. Sad to see.

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    When I first saw the picture, for a hot moment, I thought of you.....then I saw you were on FChat 7 minutes before so I felt some relief.

Really sad for the lady in the Hyundai....

VAF84 likes this.
  4. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    My wife sent me a text when she heard about it. She didn't see the color of the car and knew I was out in that area. It really is unfortunate in deed. It said he was only going 60 miles an hour. While that is over the limit for that area, that's not really crazy fast. I wonder what the cause was.

5. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    This is precisely why my family travels in a 3/4 ton GMC Denali crew cab pickup.

If we get hit by some nut in a sports car like this they are going to die and we will most likely suffer little (if any) injuries.

JTSE30 and VAF84 like this.
  6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    While I agree with you, 60 Mph on Westheimer isn’t very dangerous normally, if it WAS a rental car, so many other things come to mind.

russellmcg likes this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I doubt we are looking at 60 mph. Stuff like this usually happens when things get wild. The Cali T is a very safe car, and as long as you use the seatbelt, it takes a very severe impact to be fatal, especially for two. Both cars are Euro NCAP 5 rated cars, so it's not like that black car was,a death trap.

It may or may not be a rental which is not really important, and it excuses or explains nothing. There are plenty of owners who has no business driving their sportscars and sports gt's the way they do, and way too many drive their cars beyond their abilities. In other words, let's not start getting too comfy on our high horses if its a rental, because we have plenty of inconsiderate and irresponsible drivers in our own ranks.

It's a sad shame to see someone in another car was also killed, and this is the worst of this. More often than not, sports car accidents hurts bystanders as it is often a case of lost control Feel so bad for that lady and her family. The Cali T driver? I rarely feel anything but disdain and contempt for murderers - because dead or not, that's what he is.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Mickyd329 and Texas Forever like this.
  8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Word is he brought the car from Lambo of Houston. It was his first "fast" car. His wife is saying he must have had a a medical condition. We'll probably never know, but I'm guessing the traction control was turned off, and he must have floored it. Dry multi-lane road. To cross over, the car had to be completely out of control.

VAF84 likes this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Medical condition? Heh, what ever makes her sleep at night.

I doubt it was due to him turning the TC off. Even with the biggest fools, that actually seems to be rare. I think he drove way too fast, was manoeuvring around the other motorists in his lanes to overtake, and then lost control.

Also SPORT won't save you if you floor it and act stupid.

But the worst part is by far the wife trying to excuse it with a medical condition. Leads one to believe that they are both pretty inconsiderate *******s. People need to accept responsibility, pure a d simple. She's obviously not directly responsible, but she needs to accept her husbands responsibility in this tragedy.

I make no bones about it, I'm fiercely unapologetic towards people who cause the death of others due to irresponsible driving. I have known people on both sides of the fence and know how it feels to be related to the responsible party as well as the victims.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Wikdstrate and Texas Forever like this.
  10. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I was commenting on the rental car part since I live in Houston and was wondering if it was someone who was part of the local FCA.

Shark01 likes this.
  11. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

My first guess was rental car. From what I can remember, there's a couple of exotic rental companies in that area. Not to mention Turo. Not that owners aren't capable of mistakes, but I feel like it takes somewhat of an amateur to create that outcome in the specific location that it happened. I'm having trouble picturing how it would have gone down. Maybe he gunned it, and someone pulled out of a driveway, causing him to lose control during a hard swerve.

IF the medical condition is true, which is doubtful, could be a seizure. However, people prone to those shouldn't have been driving in the first place. I once watched someone with passengers pass me driving erratically and hop onto the median until the car got stuck because the driver was having a seizure. When I pulled over, the car had stopped, and the guy had the accelerator to the floor (redlining the car). Had to cut the ignition. Anyway, his friends begged me not to tell the cops because he was prone to seizures and he was not supposed to be driving. Again, unlikely to be the case, but who knows.

russellmcg and Texas Forever like this.
  12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Grady says no.

russellmcg likes this.