308 GT4 front subframe question | FerrariChat

308 GT4 front subframe question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by steven_ew, May 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone could help with some pictures of a GT4 to help me with some restoration work.

I'm looking at fixing the rust involving the front subframe of my 308 GT4. I've had a look at it today by taking the spoiler off and it looks slightly different to the diagrams in the parts book. Specifically, there are two box sections going across the front subframe in front and behind the spare wheel well. These are connected by two short box sections running fore-aft. The frontmost transverse box section sits directly below the radiator.

All these parts look a bit home made - bad welding, poorly fitting etc so I suspect they might have been added by a previous owner at some stage although I really don't know why. Any ideas?

I would like to put it back to standard so I was wondering if anyone who has done a front end restoration had some pictures showing what it should be like?

Thank you very much for your help, Steven
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    wow that is not correct

3. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Indeed! Do you know what it should be like though?

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    #4 absostone, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    I’ll post some pics later. I have 2 Gt4s at my house

5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I’m wondering was the car I accident

6. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Brilliant, thank you! I wonder if it is a bad repair for rot - it looks like the curved forward parts have had 1'' cut off the bottom of them them and patches have also been welded on below the front bottom wishbone mounts, which are rusty. Needs it all cut off and put right properly really!

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I went out and looked but can’t get a good pic right now the front valance is on the car. But I’ll try and post something in The next hour

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Where are u located

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Interesting from your pics the chassis forks and inner bushes look new. Is this car new to you?

10. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Yeh - only had it for a year or so. Previous owner rebuilt and set up the suspension.

11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    The front valance is on both my cars so I can’t get a pic. But it should only have two angled braces kind of like the steering rack area

12. magnesium

magnesium Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    Yes to all of that. Fortunately it's all quite easy to fabricate though. Here are some pics taken a long time ago prior to digital - not great quality but you get the idea.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Absostone, thanks anyway for looking. Magnesium, that’s really helpful thank you. Looks reasonably straightforward to fabricate.

Does anyone know the size of the box section material??

absostone likes this.
  14. marklintott

marklintott Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    Taipei Taiwan / Somerset UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Lintott
    Sorry just noticed your post - I had my frame "gone over" last year - there was some quite surprisingly bad rust in the front frames especially. These pics are after shots before cleaning up and re-fitting the undertray but give a good idea of the layout at least. It would be interesting to know how yours worked out - Hope it all worked out alright.
    cheers
    Mark

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Hi Mark, that looks lovely! Sorry for the slow reply - I only just saw your posts. Got the bonnet off today and will start to disassemble shortly - will post some pictures along the way.

16. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Hi again, just wondering, does anyone know about the different covers for the AC / servo / pedal box? The one on my car is made of plastic, and flat on the top. It also has two small wings that come out of the side with screw holes that don’t line up with those on the car. It also doesn’t cover up the bonnet catches. This one, from superformance UK has depressions in the top and covers up the bonnet catches ... presumably the one from superformance is ‘right’, but what could my one be from?

17. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  18. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Interesting - that’s exactly what I’ve got; except it’s a uk car. Maybe the one with wings is for the USA and the other one being sold by superformance is for the euro?

Nice paintwork by the way!

19. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Thx. Car is real dirty

20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    A friend of mine has a US Gt4 with the SF cover and it covers the bonnet latches. Also the brake reservoir cover is on the wrong side. Be advised

21. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    So, finally got back to this in the last couple of weeks - I’ll post some pictures. Managed to source a ‘new old stock’ complete front subframe for GT4 so that’s going on. Also found this - loads of pictures of a stripped and dipped GT4 chassis here. Any one seen this before? Really useful! https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1fi03uwi0mkv4d4/JgyNDyu5G6

absostone likes this.
  22. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Stephen,

I have been away for a while and just saw this. I have a bunch of pics but it looks like you have a new subframe. If you still want to see some let me know!

Rob

23. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Here's what was hiding behind my front undertray...

24. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

It should be a lesson to you all if you don't want this to happen. I know many will disagree with me but never wash your car with a hose, use the three bucket method, never drive in the rain or wet conditions. Every year I have the panel off in my heads up in there so I know what's going on under my car! ha

Rob