FF - First Ferrari?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FF - First Ferrari??

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Adm010, Jun 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adm010

Adm010 Rookie

Jun 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alex miller
    Hi all. Initial short report from me having finally got the FF yesturday. Like it, dont love it. Cant quite put my finger on why. Partially a number of things: the purchasing experience has not been particularly enjoyable with various issues and delays, and still needs to go back to have the roof resprayed,, and the dashscreen menu im not sure is working properly, and i think that really deflated me. Done probably 100 miles in the uk rain. Its a lovely car, handles so well, surprisingly light and sooo comfortable. The interior with endless carbon is lush and even without full leather is lovely. The exterior now detailed and coated is spot on and changing to silver wheels was totally worth doing. It can be super quiet just pootling about with the double glazing, but the noise when you rev it is to die for. Its not as planted id say as my RS3, in that i can feel its not as 4wd as the audi, which is something i loved so definitely need to treat it with a bit more respect/ caution unlike maybe an rs6. Visibility as good although the reverse camera screen is in such a stupid place! And being able to see that long bonnet helps. Big ol car though. Yeah, its an amazing machine, it really is, but something just isnt clicking even this soon and not sure what to do. Thoughts welcomed

Kaspars Upmanis likes this.
  2. Wazzer

Wazzer Karting

Jun 23, 2020
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Waz
    I believe that the FF will grow on you as you cover more miles. Play with different drive mode settings as these make a big difference. The engine is glorious so try some drives with the windows open and some throttle.
    I have heard that the tires make a big difference to the handling. Switch to Michelin PS4S.
    Take some friends and kids for rides. Sure to be lots of smiles all around

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    its an amazing machine but its not an f40, because its not supposed to be one. most of your review is high praise. if you want something softer, go Lusso.

Nospinzone likes this.
  4. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    Well, the FF is somewhat of a bizarre kind. Its a 'supposed to be daily' but not a daily in the end at all. And why is that? Bc its not built by a company, that build's cars for daily users.

I was in a similar situation when I got mine. I have little kids, road bike and sport hobbies and wanted the space. Initially I wanted (since ever) a Scuderia but the use case would have been close to zero.
    However, I can say the FF grows on my every single day. NA V12, the best sound on earth for me and its definitely getting better down the road with hybrids, omp and downsizing.
    ITS NOT AN AUDI. I had 10+ Porsches before like many others here and there are in my observation 2 kinds of Ferrari owners. One type, that sells right off within months and never comes back. And than the others that, depending on the money, get hooked for live and own multiple.
    Its a fckn diva, its not a perfect, German space ship. It was built by italians, sticky buttons, leather shrinking, electronic gremlins over and over. But thats part of the ownership experience.

An FF seems to be a 'temporary' Ferrari for manys that come with the same background (kids, pets, sport stuff) and you see many flipping. Also, the sport back design is not everyones taste.

I made my piece with mine, as mentioned growing on my every single day. And I have an audi rs6 on the way for the daily stuff..

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    totally agree. ive owned mince since new 2012 and i still dont love the looks. it can get hung up in the shop for weeks for sure. it does everything a daily needs to do. my only gripe that has been well documented here is the number of bent wheels due to our ****ty roads.

Manish C and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  6. Carl A

Carl A Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2021
    Surrey U.K.
    Full Name:
    Carl Abernethy
    Weather has been **** over here last couple of days so I'm not surprised your initial outings were a little jaded. Wait until you give it a clean on a glorious UK summer day and take it for a blast on a long flat road. As those revs lift and the sound fills the cabin the edges of your lips will greet your ears (in line with the revs). I've had mine for 7 months now and travel mostly around the M25 borders, rarely going into the city of London. Suffered two blowouts in my ownership over 2K miles due to potholes on poor B roads but I'm now more careful, the FF carries a lot of weight over those skinny fronts. It took me a while to get used to how long the front takes to hook up compared to other 4WD cars i've driven so give it some respect :). You could daily an FF as I convinced myself I would be doing but for small trips I more often swing to the E93, mostly because I can't stand the though of small scrapes on her (car parks, speed humps....) her just for popping down to Waitrose.

One observation, I bought the car with P.Zero's on and I found them to be lethal on even the slightest of damp roads. After 2 potholes I switched to Aplins an put the PZ's in storage. May have them swapped back soon but the Aplins inspire a LOT more confidence and fun.

I hope it works out for you, they are lovely cars and somewhat of a dying breed.

Good Luck

7. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    I was kindly loaned a Roma for the day recently and whilst it’s a beautiful car i found pretty much everything else about it was a step down from my 2012 FF.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Loxo, otakki, sandstrs and 6 others like this.
  8. Outrun

Outrun Karting

Well done pulling the trigger, they are great cars. Don't let the dealer experience taint the machine, it's not the car's fault! Like all great cars, it will shrink around you as you learn it and soon you will wonder what took you so long.

I'm off up to Skye in mine on Saturday with friends and although there will be some other exotic metal there, I wouldn't swap my FF for any of them.

ANOpax and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Great car, a bit heavy though for spirited back road driving;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    It’s a niche car in Ferrari’s line up… it’s not an F40 or a TDF or a Speciale or Scud. But I bought mine initially to enjoy with my kids, NA V12, and daily usage without worrying too much about it.
    It’s very unique and like others say, it’s a relationship that grows on you. It doesn’t stir my emotions like the TDF or Speciale. I don’t love it, I like it a lot. It does what it’s supposed to do - utilitarian.
    At first, the design was appalling to me, and now I oddly admire the shooting brake. Funny how Ferraris do that.
    Handling is mediocre through the canyons. I do feel the weight, and it is heavy in the turns compared to TDF/Speciale.
    I’ve opened up the V12 with Kline 200 cell sport cat, Novitec X pipe and exhaust to increase the symphony.
    Tomorrow I’m taking my little ones to school in it, and I’m really looking forward to it. It’s just a cool car .

11. Natkingcolebasket69

Well summed up.
    It’s a Ferrari for those who have another Ferrari. If it’s your only one it’s also fine but I think one would be missing on the true Ferrari fun and handling

plastique999 likes this.
  12. FerrariAE

FerrariAE Rookie

Jun 10, 2021
    Stockholm
    I bought mine about 5-6 weeks ago, also first Ferrari. Have done about 300km since! Totally in love.

13. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    Hmm not sure about that-it is my only Ferrari currently.Have previously owned 365BB,550 Maranello,612 Scaglietti,308 GTB-this one holds its own against them all and is way better than the Cali/Portofino/Roma.

14. Natkingcolebasket69

I am just like plastique. I liked my FF but it had to go as it didn’t move me In any way shape of form inspite the awesome sound I invested in. Great car but for me I realize I have to have rear engine and nimble so I kept 355 and tr.
    I might get a lusso but just for the extra technology.
    That being said if i had just one Ferrari I’d prefer mid-engine.
    I would have the same comment about portofino, Cali, Roma-great second Ferrari but I don’t think they represent the best of Ferrari in regards to fun to drive.

15. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    I’d like to know we’re you can drive to get the enhanced performance of a rear engine ferrari..

16. Natkingcolebasket69

Certainly a 355 in our Cali canyons is way more fun than the FF ever was.

Bahb7 and plastique999 like this.
  17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Cant do that for 2 or 3 hours though!

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Of course but If I want fun that’s the car I have I take;)
    Then if it rains probably the roof won’t come back up and I will regret it

19. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    I’d like to see two good drivers comparing 15 min drives would be interesting

20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Funny I have a couple of V12’s and I really really miss the nimble agility of the V8’s I’ve had in the past… so much so that I’m going to pick up a Speciale again.
    Through the canyons, the V8’s dance amazingly well.

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    id almost go for a regular 458 - even in the canyons im guessing you have some sort of speed limit. i bet the 458 with the right exhaust is more gratifying.

Loxo and plastique999 like this.
  22. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    100% agree. But coming from an FF I wouldn't be happy with anything, less potential than a Scud for instance.. In the end, an FF plus a potent NAV8, or maybe something newer like F8 or 296GTB sounds like the right combination to me. On man one car? I need the FF for the space and Lusso or Roma wouldn't do it for me.

Bas and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  23. Adm010

Adm010 Rookie

Jun 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alex miller
    Hi all, just a quick update….

So ive just had the FF serviced by Bob Haughton ltd in the UK and they were spot on. Happily no major issues but i wanted peace of mind after not the greatest purchase experience and so it was worth paying out for a formal annual service and overall health check. However…..the dealer says they gave it a proper oil change service, but Bob Haughton says that the oil didnt look like only a week old as it should have been. Also the car says rear discs 100% worn, but didnt have time to remove and verify - the car had to go back to original dealer today for roof to be resprayed as its cracked, so theyre going to check the brakes and replace if needed. Hopefully just a computer issue. The wheel respray they did before purchase was total garbage with no clear coat and theyre pealing already so will get those redone locally - Was evening thinking bronze with black car?? Thoughts? So far, just spending a lot of money on things id have expected to be right the first time or to give me peace of mind that i should have had, which again, is really denting my first week of owning. Still not sure im going to keep it, but happy to spend the money to make sure its spot on for the next buyer and hopefully recoup any coats.

24. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Hi Alex,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having problems with the supplying dealer. Is it GVE? Their reputation isn’t great.

if you’re going to repaint the wheels, how about a nickel finish? It has a silver/bronze tint but is much more subtle than bronze.

25. Natkingcolebasket69

Yes- exactly what I’m saying, FF works great as complement with a 2 seater