Maserati MC20 | Page 19 | FerrariChat

Maserati MC20

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TheMayor, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    decent raw footage

Alcav5 and Pawilly like this.
  2. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    At least the transmission will be well tested and reliable. Yes it's getting the tremec the C8 uses.

3. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Turbos mess with induction noise, GPF and mufflers with exhaust noise. When you have both it's quite a challenge to get a car to sound good. Not impossible, but challenging.

That footage of the cars driving made me thing of the old Castriota Birdcage concept, and how the MC20 sort of carries that design language all these years ahead. Makes me feel happy.

F1tommy and boralogist like this.
  4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #455 TheMayor, Jul 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Ferraripilot likes this.
  6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Seems, that I am the only one on this forum who really drove the car!
    For sure Maserati will develop the MC20 to more "stiffer" versions to come. They will for sure work on the sound of the car - but let`s be clear: the days of the raw, hard barking sound of the GranTurismo are over! International noise restrictions do not accept that kind of sound anymore! But I am quite sure, that the after market supplier will offer a noisier exhaust.

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    No - the Alfa 4C is a lot smaller than the MC20. Corvette is bigger than the Maserati and more "edgy".
    Almost all mid-engine cars from Ferrari, McLaren, Rimac, etc. show the more of less the same basic design lines. Lamborghini, Pagani, Bugatti and Koenigsegg are a mit different.

Ferraripilot and 3500 GT like this.
  8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

SMC == Sheet Molding Compound. This is what the Alfa 4c is made of as well as the Corvette.

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Makes sense, easy to mold not too expensive and not much weight gain over cf panels which are way more expensive, plus easy to change shape with new molds..

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

What are your driving impressions compared to other cars for example hurricane or the enw corvette. Its been described more than once as a bigger faster alpine, which is a really good place to start.

Yes noise regs especialy in europe are limiting, but others do better. Its not necssarily volume but also sound. The aftermarket usualt turns up the volume but the tune of the sound is not much improved. The key is great sound at just the right volume, ferrari daytona as an example, not too loud sounded great.

11. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So where's the brushed SS roof? Every Tom, Dick and Harry does the black roof schtick. So passé. And ... Maserati should get down on all fours to grovel before VW for the Bora moniker back!

If they can't make that work then name it it the Merak-MC, it is a V6 after all.

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    And a fender bender doesn't cost a fortune.

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I bet a rear quarter panel hit is still a huge bill?

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Quite literally "shades' of Lamborghini and I like green a lot! Aqua verde would be my preference but I would have to see it first.

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    At the opposite end of the spectrum I was looking at a bare carbon weave Zonda in the UK, they had lined up the grains of the cloth perfectly even on seams, it was art or the art of ocd.. Cant imagine what effort that took, and one mistake and the panel is toast(or used for a painted car)

Ah classic GM, they had a amid engined metal framed car with sms pannels in the 80s, the Fiero, then put x car suspension and a crappy motor in it, then finaly they fix the suspension and put a better motor in and production ends, same brilliant formula as the allante, make the car so flawed that by the time you fix it its dead.

40 years later we get the mid engined vette built much along the same lines as the fiero, but thankfully very well executed.

Over at Stellants, Alfa fiat maserati whatever, we had the alfa 4c, a brilliant car missing only a wishbone suspension and possibly more Hp.

Maserati takes that formula and does it bigger and maybe right.

Truth be told a 4c with wishbones and a quadrafoglio motor would have really hit the spot for me, small swb car 2800lbs 505 hp. Te maserati while bigger and a bit heavier still seems excellente. The more I think about it, the more it appeals, esp as we read there are proper sport seats, lighter spec and somewhat more power(dont think it needs more power). coming. Is this not the car spec many of us have been looking for.

Yeah a NA V8 might have been better still, but thats nitpicking when the rest looks so good.

Hopefuly reliability and physical durability are baked in to a degree better than the germans have acheived, thats certainly true with the Gulia post 2018.
    Would one rather have a Gt3 or a cracking sportier version of the MC20 for 50K more. I know which way Im leaning esp if they get the tough and durable part right..

We're in the sawnsong of the Ice era. You've got one last chance, what would it be.

wbaeumer, Nembo1777 and Ferraripilot like this.
  16. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
  17. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i would like mc20 over gt3 IF the maserati had regular doors. cannot see myself using this around town and getting in and out of swan doors. plus i had previous gt3 and its out of my system. 458 is still my fav but covid pricing of extra 30% is too crazy. z06 would be great if it can hold together without exploding motor.

18. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I drove the car on Varano circuit near Parma, Italy 4 weeks ago - jumped in and out about 6-7 times. No problems with the door(s). Why? Because the sills are not too wide.

19. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    No worries about how they work, its just I would feel funny making a scene in my neighborhood every time get in and out. Plus my wife really hates them. Same for me w McLaren

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I like cool doors. The only issue is if the car is upside down.
    To me its not what these cars cost to buy so much as cost to run ontrack. Thts directly related to how good(as poopsed to how powerful) the braking system is, how reliable the motor is and weight cause thats tires and pads. Plus all the little bits liek wheel bearings etc that track will qucikly destroy if not suffciently robust.

On the vete thread a poster was giving us the lowdon on runnin g aGT3, basicaly tires and pads come to $1750 per day. I have no idea if you can change oil on the Pcar at home, ie acess drain plug and filter relatively easily. He was payng a delaer $500 every few days to go though the car do fluids etc.

The exige is running $100o per day but that includes $400 in race gas, I think the pcar can sue pump gas which if you tow tot he track and fill up on the way is more like $ 4 er gallon.

It all adds upm the Mc 20 shws greta pormise, biut moste xotics are not really sifficiently resolved to run all day on track without yuge bills. I think the 600lt is the worst, to maintain warranty its a 5k dealer bvist each time plus tires and brakes, so 7k,

21. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    My biggest worry is that the car sounds, in the real world, as uninspiring as it sounds in the multiple videos I’ve watched. Has anyone heard of the rumored to be coming sport exhaust is a simple retrofit onto the early production cars? Also, how soon will we see the heavyweight aftermarket exhaust companies have options for the MC20?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Running a Maserati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Porsche, Aston Martin etc. was NEVER cheap! You have it - you can it...! ;)

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Track is a very different enviroment, normal maintance and the thing that bothers road car drivers is almost irrelevant. Youre not doign oil changes evry 5k miles its evry 5 days of runtime, so acess is important. Hoses used is important because theres going to be lots of heat, a power steerign pump in the v is fatal, cause it will fail and you cant get to it without remobign the intake(audi)

A older ferrai like a 308 or 348 was great because they are mechanicaly strong and robust, the big peices dont break, the suspesion and steerign gear is strong enough, the frame is strong enough, the motor/gearbox not over stressed, coolign adequate at speed(which is different to at idle in traffic) thats all far more important than whether a dealer needs to attend to the electric widows, or whter the ac can work in traffic.

A corvette because of its weight is not cheap on track. the two big consumable costs in that envirement are tires and pads, plus afyter the c5 z06 untill the c7 Gs they came with cheap melty brake lines and ate up motors and other bits.. The MC 20 is significantly lighter than a C8, so its tire and pad usage should be well less meaning it can cost less in daily cosumables. If they have installed the apropriate brake calipers(brembo is just name there ware various levels within that) with steel rotors(no on runs cermaics on track) the brakes should last and rotors are easy enough to replace, once again less cost than a vette. The transmission comes from a vette so should be robust. Preferably the track orientated version has non electronic shocks from a great brand like Ohlins(weve seen this from maserati recently on the coupe) or you retrofit. That just leaves things like suspension pieces and attach points being strong and robust enough, plus the biggie, is the motor and its subsystems/electrics up to it. Lastly can you change fluids some whateasily.

Vettes probably tick many boxes if you dont mind such a large car, but that extra 5-600lbs is going to significantly drive up the daily cosumables cost on track..
    Maclarens turn out to be fragile on track so require lots of going over. Ferrai brakes are not great for track and the cost of replacing brake components is prohibitive, plus the grearbox etc.

Gt3s seem to have hit a sweetspot, but theyre still $1750 in tires and pads per day( Mc 20 wouldnt be less) You still have to deal with subsystem failure like the rws on a Gt3 and undersized wheell hub bearings, idealy replace the braking system with ap calipers and rotors. Porche also puts lots of diffcult stuff on their cars like centrelock wheesl which really limits what you can buy for the car in terms of track wheels and makes changing wheels at track a pita. But in this league a GT3 is as good as it gets, so far.

the MC 20 is goign to be raced, so weak links will show up there and if maserati makes a road/track version and are serious about it, then they will migrate the pices that need migrating.

Lambo Hurricanes have susbsytem failures just in the street, so how they would work on track is frightening, plus its a bit too heavy.

Alfa 4cs seem to work fine except for the DCT. If the MC 20 is like a bigger $c with corvette DCT then it may be really good. Being able to work on track is something that should be baked into a design. I think the mC20 shows promise in this regard, and there is no reason a car in 2021 shouldnt be robust and reliable, other than the manufactuerer doesent care and takes the lazy option, cue ferrari.

I would argue that in the 21st century the true home of the sueprcar and uderpinning of brand cred is the track, its the place where fast cars go to excecise. The only upscale fast car that works out the box there is a porche, and while its not perfect is really good and imprves with each itertation, they actualy care. Even more than racing, the track and trackday is where reputaions for manufactuers are built amongst enthusiasts. And as important as "Brand and hertigage" are, its the enthusiast cred and their telling freinds etc that underpins a lot. Thats how BMw became a thing after the 2002, its why a Gt3 is built becaus it underpins all the cred of those other volume luxury 911's which in turn underpin the cred of the SUv's. For sure brand and heritage coutn for a lot, but as aston and jaguar can attest, that alone does not do it. Ferrai can fall back on F1, but the other racing series, they dont really sell cars.

A durable car for road and track with all the right bits, thats the most recent ford Gt. Maserati can do the same.

-K1- and lzplayer like this.