Ferrari F12 Armytrix Titanium exhaust | FerrariChat

Ferrari F12 Armytrix Titanium exhaust

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by nguyennhatquang, Jun 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    Hello, I put an Armytrix catback exhaust with X pipe on my Ferrari F12, now if u run at 10 20mph in city, the exhaust drone alot, if u cruise at 65mph it is fine, very quiet...
    I wonder how to fix an exhaust drone at low rpm and city drivring? it drive me nut for that stupid exhaust system and I can't return it :(

other than that.. when we rev it.. it sound amazing

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Does it drone even with the valves closed? If not, can you control the valves so that they stay closed?
    Droning sound is a resonance issue. You can only affect the frequency/amplitude by modifying the shape/weight of the exhaust. Did you change the CATs as well? If so, reverting to some less flowing CATs will surely reduce the overall noise level, and therefore the drone. But to the expense of the good sound as well.

3. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    Yes, I close the valve all the time.. I didn't wire the remote, I let it control automatically by Ferrari so it close all the time..
    Only open while start up...
    I use original CAT because I hate the smell,
    Do u think it is because of the X PIPE? I change it also because it come with the kit..?

4. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    I dont think the drone is because of the x-pipe. I'd say it's because of the mufflers which are resonating.

5. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    #6 sunghyun7, Jun 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    It shouldn't drone like that with the valves closed especially with that baffled muffler. I have ryft titanium exhaust, with smaller muffler, and it doesn't drone. really shouldn't drone esp the stock catalytic converter. do you have the remote valve controller? f12 opens the exhaust valve automatically at certain rpm and you would know when it opens... if that's the issue, manual controller should fix your issue. I also would check over all the connections to make sure everything is connected properly.

6. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #7 Frank_C, Jun 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Drone- exhaust and chassis resonance frequencies are those same. IOW your chassis is now resonating at the frequency as the exhaust pipes. (per Jamie Dundon of Dundon Motorsports) Ever hear a truck drone when it starts at a stop sign/light.......

Can’t fix anything other than to change the exhaust pipe length to make it resonate at a different frequency.

I've read about "side branch resonators" which are blind end cap pipes off the exhaust which will cancel the noise, but not applicable with the limited real estate on an F12.

In a Porsche easy to do when you pull the side mufflers - “long pipe” (they put a curl to lengthen) exhaust will not drone due to a different resonance frequency.

Kinda stuck with what you have.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    the problem I got only at low RPM like idle or 2K rpm.. after that it doesn't drone as well... so I don't know what is the real issue is :( ...
    sorry for slow reply I didn't watch up the email

8. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It may be worth trying it with your old Ferrari back boxs on?
    I have the same system but a Capristo one and its perfect, not loud and low speed or 80mph on the motorway but open the valves and it sets off car alarms

9. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    @Wheels1 :I put back an original one.. it was a POS exhaust...
    so is your capristo quiet in off mode? same as original?

10. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    yea I'm looking at the armytrix pictures and it even looks cheaply made. another thing I noticed was that the valved portion is the straight pipe, and the muffler portion is always left open. maybe that's the reason why you thought it was loud. that straight muffler (probably perforated) probably isn't enough to tame the sound with such short length. In few others including mine, it looks like the valved portion is instead the muffled pipe (main exit). the in the "quiet" mode, it's actually pipe that comes off from the side of the main muffler can where it gets air from about 1" diameter hole from the inside the muffler at a sharp right angle. so when it's in "quiet" mode, you're basically breathing out through a small 1" baffled hole rather than ~3" "muffled" hole.

nguyennhatquang and ryalex like this.
  11. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Check all the mountings to ensure they are tight as well. Ultimately it may be the resonance frequency of the pipe that is at issue.
    Without changing the pipe that is difficult to solve. A cheap fix might be to wrap the pipes with exhaust performance tape- it decreases heat to the surround but also will change and probably dampen the resonance frequency. And should not be visible unless you are under the car

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    Here is the Junk Chinese crap exhaust I took off..
    I hope anyone will never put a junk chinese stuff like this in our italian car..

Image Unavailable, Please Login

350MH83 likes this.
  13. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
  14. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
  15. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    you can always put a exhaust silencer to the muffled portion of your exhaust. it basically makes outlet diameter to 1-1.5" or as small as possible. it will cut down exhaust noise (when valve closed on yours) significantly. pretty easy to make exhaust quiet. takes time to make it sound good. doesn't matter on ours because with valves open, it's essentially a straight pipe!