Hayashi Racing Wheels on a 308 QV? | FerrariChat

Hayashi Racing Wheels on a 308 QV?

Discussion in '308/328' started by SE328, Jun 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SE328

SE328 Rookie

Jul 25, 2019
    Munich / germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Eicher
    Dear all,
    I have an offer to buy this set of four Hayashi Racing wheels for 1600 USD.
    I am currently overhauling a 308 QV that I bought a month ago and I am thinking of different options concerning the wheels:
    1. recondition the currently mounted original 14 inch metric wheels and buy new TRX - but the TRX are expensive and out of date
    2. Buy 16 inch ferrari style remake aftermarket from superformance
    3. Buy this set of Hayasgi Racing which I understand is pretty rare...

Let me know what you think concerning options and the price for the Hayashis

Attached a picture of the Hayashi set, a picture from a 308 that has the hayashi mounted (found that on google -hope I did not steel anyones jpg) and my 308 QV with the 14 inch originals

Kind Regards

Stephan

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

miketuason likes this.
  2. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    SE328 likes this.
  3. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    $1600 is a great buy if they are in good shape. You might consider rebuilding them like I did if they show signs of road rash or bent lips on the barrels.
    The center caps are unobtainium and I’ve seen one for sale on eBay for $650!

bernieb likes this.
  4. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    my vote worth a penny....Buy 16 inch Ferrari style remake aftermarket from Superformance. The design is so balanced paired with the body. My eyes go straight to the wheels in the third picture.....a little overpowering the body lines. But it's purely subjective!

5. SE328

SE328 Rookie

Jul 25, 2019
    Munich / germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Eicher
    Are you talking about the yellow Ferrari caps or the whole center caps?

6. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    The Hiyashi center caps. My gold painted wheel set does not have them so I had to fab my own to get a decent finished look.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferraripilot and SE328 like this.
  7. Tustin308

Tustin308 Rookie

May 20, 2019
    Tustin, CA
    Full Name:
    Arthur Trejo
    I have a set of original Hayashi Palace on my QV with 16x8 front 16x9 rear. They were refurbished recently with a clear coat to keep them shiny. Just a rinse with soap and water is all they need.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I have 17 inch Compomotives on my 328 , they look similar to yours, if I were you, buy all that you mentioned , and you will have a nice variety to switch on and off from.I paid 3500.00 for my wheels, so 1600 is a great price.

Thank you

9. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I don't know if I'd choose option #2 or #3 if I was in your shoes. Both are good options in my opinion. I wouldn't - and didn't - choose option #1. If you are going to go for concours points then #1 is the correct option. For anything else it's a poor choice.

(The metric wheels are not 14" BTW)

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It depends on the rubber thats available. TRX ones are silly money. At least the superperformance wheels open up a lot of rubber options

11. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    In the third picture by the original poster, the wheels are 17 inch Compomotive (you can tell by the center caps and spoke width). The Hayashi (HRE) are pretty rare. I looked for five years and couldn't find any, so I got the Compomotives, which are close.

Are all four Hayshi the same width, or are there wider rears?

If they fit your car, get the Hayashi now. Get the Superperfomance later on, since they are readily available, then you will have two nice sets, before they are all unobtainable.

miketuason likes this.
  12. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mule, if you ask me I would say the Compomotive 17 are the rarest of them all. It took me several years before I finally found a set when was hunting for a set of the Compomotive 17s, during those years of searching, I would Occasionally see and find a set of the HRE 505 for sale, I didn’t buy them because I really wanted the Compomotive TS-17

13. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Mike, I don't ever think there were HRE for my 1989 328 with the different offset, now that I think of it. Might have been...? I got my Compomotive in 2002 when they still made them. New from the factory, made to spec for my car. Little did we know they would disappear.

miketuason likes this.
  14. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Arthur
    What size of tires do you put on the 8" front and 9" rear? Do you have to use spacers to make them fit right? Thanks.

15. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    A few photos of my old 308 with 16" HREs. I had bought the wheels off eBay maybe circa 2011, sent them to HRE to be refinished and had HRE powder coat gold the centers. I also bought a bunch of barrels in different widths from HRE so down the road I could make them wider if I wanted to.

The new tires I had mounted on them were larger than stock, and I would have done that different as I wasn't thrilled with the look - too much sidewall, but the wheels themselves I liked.

After I sold my 308, some months later I sold the wheels to a really nice guy on this forum, along with all the spare parts I had bought from HRE.

The 3 piece wheels are flexible in terms of setups, widths, offsets and paint schemes. Cleaning them and all those bolts were another matter. I prefer the look without the center cap, but that's subjective. I recall having to buy aftermarket (maybe VW) bolts to get them to bolt on without interfering with the hub.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

miketuason likes this.
  16. Tustin308

Tustin308 Rookie

May 20, 2019
    Tustin, CA
    Full Name:
    Arthur Trejo
    The tire sizes I am using are 225/50/16 front with 245/45/16 rear. These sizes are very close in overall size in diameter and side wall width. I really like the 245 on the rear which fills the wheel well nicely. No spacers are used with the offsets on the Hayashi’s

17. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks for the info. It looks like your car is not lowered per picturfe. I have the same Hayashi wheels and tire size, 245/45/16 rear and 225/50/16 front. I just lowered my 85 QV with Varishocks and springs. Now I have problems with the front tires rubbing the top to the fender. I either have to raise the clearance or go back to 205. I've been toying around raising the front end 1/4 inch and doing test drives.

18. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    My small contribution to this thread...many years ago I bought a set of HRE 505s from a guy who was running them on his '85 BMW 535. He had adaptors made for 5x120mm to 5x108mm conversion. The most interesting part was....... they were 17".... I contacted HRE and they still had 17" barrels and lips at that time. Ended up using the rear barrels and fitting new front lips. Here are a few pics of them on my 328 GTS however they will fit my 308 GTB...

miketuason likes this.
  19. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    My bid is always for the thinner tyres for lighter, faster more precise turn in. and progressive handling. However here are the best choices

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/308.html

worth baring in mind it will be nicer to drive on the P7 than on a modern tyre carcass. The P7 will also grip better than the majority of other modern tyres because they are made with bang up to date modern Pirelli compounds, but benefit of a carcass designed to suit your chassis it the real good stuff. Look how happy the Countach boys are with the P7 https://www.lamborghinichat.com/forum/threads/countach-tires-does-anyone-care.508651/page-16

20. SE328

SE328 Rookie

Jul 25, 2019
    Munich / germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Eicher
    built2grind, 308Dadoo and miketuason like this.