Alfa Romeo Giulia | Page 77 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Nov 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I had a 2017 Lusso with the performance package...18 inch wheels, limited slip, ajustable suspension, and paddle shift. This time I went for a 2021 Base model...not a single option. I enjoyed the paddle shift and wondered how I'd do without it. Well, I just took my 2021 Base on my favorite piece of road in Los Angeles...Mulholland Drive from Coldwater Canyon, west to Beverly Glen. I've been driving this piece of heaven at least once a week for 63 years. I put my new Giulia into Dynamic mode and took off. I had no problem shifting into manual when I wanted to do some down shifting under braking or when holding the car in third gear for control of power. I honestly didn't miss the paddles at all. Would I have them if they came with the car? Yes. But I wanted this Base model and now I know that it is every bit as much fun without the paddles. If you watch World Rally Cup videos on YouTube you will see how all of them use the floor/console mounted shifter rather than paddles. The Base Giulia is the best kept secret on the planet. And that includes with the Base 17" wheels and run flat tires. The car simply went exactly where I pointed it...it was a perfect drive.

classic308, Makuono, ricksb and 2 others like this.
  2. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    greg328 likes this.
  3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    The non Quads come with them standard ... they are not as bad as I thought they would be, having had a little experience with them on a BMW 640i, that was like driving on cement tires. Granted, I do not drive the Alfa hard at all, that's what my F-car is for.

greg328 likes this.
  4. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    It's not performance....it's safety. When it's -20F, you're halfway to Houghton, and a tire gets shredded....bad things can happen. If they don't, it would take several days to get the car back on the road.

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Fair enough. Glad it doesn't get that cold here ;)

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I find the run flats just fine, the ride is good which realy the iisue with some run flats and with the grip is fine if you use all 4 tires equally which is especialy easy comming off an apex with the awd. To me the relative softness of the suspension near the limit gives up before the tires. I find pretty much all road cars are like this, somewhere around 9/10th of adhesion theyre just too soft and get a bit flaccid, you can feel it especialy on track. The notable exception tot hsi rule was a 4c I drove on track.

the upside is the Gulia has a fantastic well judged ride, it has real compliance and great body controll, its not like the ridiing on concrete feel of a German car which is no betetr at the limit anyway. I think the term is well judged suspension dynanmics.. My elise is better but for 99.5% of the time the Guila is just great on road and backroads(its still not small but most today are not) the steeering is just such a delight at all speeds it never fails to entertain. Have never driven a quad, i imagine its just better, more grip and power(not that more hp is really needed), maybe only downside is heavier in the front so slightly slower to react.

To me this cars party tricks are that fantastic steering/turn in well judged ride, walls of tq with excellent gearbox.

7. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Very x5 nice. Tell us about this model vs just the normale Ti Sport.

8. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    When I took my 2017 Lusso on the track, I was very pleasantly surprised by the Bridgestone run flats. My new 2021 comes with Pirelli run flat so far I have no complaints in spirited driving. Maybe I'll try them on the track after I've put some miles on the drive train.

jeffb99tx likes this.
  9. 250californiafan

250californiafan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2006
    Shawnee, KS
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It is a normal Ti Sport. Verde Visconti is the name of the color.

10. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Very handsome and elegant. A natural at a concours. Or just parked in front of a great restaurant in Rome or New York or Los Angeles or Tokyo
    or anywhere.

11. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
  12. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    John, nice shirt. where did you get that from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I bought a 18 Giulia quad about a year ago and really like it . Honestly don’t use the paddles much . This one has the carbon Sparco buckets which looks sexy but rub my left thigh . Kind of irritating . Tried to get my son to buy a used Ti for a great price but he was concerned about Alfa’s reliability reputation so ended up with a …..Camry . Car guy dad very disappointed . They were basically the same price . Groan !

14. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Hi, I designed it and had it made. Go to Allied Shirts (.com) and you can make up your own shirts for about $25 delivered (for just one). And they have lots of styles of shirts to chose from. I choose Hanes Beefy Tee-shirts.

15. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I am looking for a new daily driver and been reading all the posts on here about the Giulia. I am looking for a quadrifoglio
    I have a few questions since I am a newbie

1. Is the 2.9 twin turbo the same engine that’s in the Maserati Quattroporte

2. Does the quadrifoglio use a dual clutch like the Cali uses?

3. Looking at Q4 TI at the dealer today and some have paddle shift and others do not

Is there a certain option package that includes paddle shift?

4. Is the quadrifoglio worth the extra money
    It’s a hot looking car but it’s hard finding one with the carbon fiber seats

any other info or tips you like to add Would be very appreciated

16. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    1. The 2.9 is said to be the Ferrari v8 with two cylinders removed . Dont know about the Maserati connection but it seems reasonable.

2. Yes. So does the standard car. I don't know if its even the same transmission in the two Alfas.

3.Yes. Forgot the name. Also there is a better seat package which IIRC comes with the paddles.

4.Is an M3 worth the extra money over a standard 3 series BMW ? Each person has to make their own decision. For me it was a Quadrofoglio.
    You get 90% of the allure with the standard model.
    Also Carbon seats and ceramic brakes were a must to me. The CF seat are only optional on the quad as with the brakes.
    In retrospect the seats are very supportive but uncomfortable.
    The brakes shudder at times but I still like the looks and potential performance.
    Given the choice between a heavily optioned New Ti and a used Quad for 20K more IMO a used Quad is the ticket.
    But a standard "stripped" used Giulia is a bargain.
    Shop around and check the Giulia forums. be patient.

Dai Baracca likes this.
  17. Sims123

Sims123 Karting

Sep 25, 2016
    Svizzera
    I used to drive Lusso's as my DD. Just go delivered GTA as new DD and enjoy the car "almost" as much.....almost, as nothing can beat V12.

However: The optics and sound are amazing, the low weight is felt instantly, and she is hungry for curves. The engine wants to be driven...a long time since I ve used the paddle shifts so actively. Last but not least, the car is "socially compatible". It s definitely a keeper for me.

18. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The Giulias all have automatic torque converter transmissions, not DCTs. A DCT would have sold me right away but I think most prefer an automatic as it’s smoother for city driving.

19. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    I believe the Ti Sport is the trim that comes with paddles.

boxerman and ricksb like this.
  20. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Oops that’s right . The feeling in my quad is essentially the same as a dct IMO. I wish it were a stick but Alfa forgot to ask me .

21. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I haven't tried a Quadrifoglio but every other ZF auto transmission that I've tried just doesn't have the same direct feeling like a DCT has. Either way, an auto is better for city/daily driving. My previous generation RS5 is a bit clunky in stop and go and slow speeds but shines at higher revs. I really wanted to try the Quadrifoglio but I wanted a car with a big sunroof.

22. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    In response to the question about the Alfa QV engine and it's Ferrari roots.
    While it sounds nice to say that Alfa took a California V8 and simply cut 2 cylinders because of the similar bore & stroke, the guy responsible for this masterpiece says otherwise. In an article posted in 2015. Philippe Krief, tells how he was called by Marchionne to pull 10 Ferrari engineers and himself for an Alfa project and that he (Krief) had 2 years & 2 month to complete..LOL
    The engine was a ground up build for Alfa according to Krief. I'm certain that the father of the 458 and his merry men used a Ferrari block as their inspiration, but according to him (Krief) the engine is all Alfa, designed by the "Squadra Puzzola" that he was charged with putting together.

FORZA 62, Rags747, johnei and 2 others like this.
  23. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    The paddle shifts in my Ti Sport are pretty immediate, not a huge difference in feel between that and the DCT in my Cali T to me. However, that 5550 redline sure comes up in a hurry on the Giulia.

NYC Fred, niklas and greg328 like this.
  24. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Any ideas how to permanently turn off driver aids on a 2021 Stelvio..

greg328 likes this.
  25. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    if its a Stelvio QV, you would just turn the DNA knob to R "Race", but even then they are not 100% turned off, but def. enough to make you pucker.
    If you don't have the QV you can't.

greg328 likes this.