328 Spark plug lead extensions??? | FerrariChat

328 Spark plug lead extensions???

Discussion in '308/328' started by zebra308, Jul 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    Hi all,
    Been a while since I've posted.
    I have a question.
    I ordered 8 new spark plug lead extensions for my 328. The new ones are much shorter than the originals??
    I questioned the vendor and he assured me these are the correct ones? The only issue I can see is when seating them in the valve cover I really have to press down on the red plug cover to get them to seat properly.
    My fear is, since there's upward pressure now, will they work loose?
    Anyone else installed these on their car?
    Thanks,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Did you look inside ? maybe the new ones you need the round nut on the spark plug and the old without it ?

3. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    The 328 extenders are different from the earlier QV 3 litre engines (and the earlier 2V injected engines are different again, they used a black version of the shorter 308 QV extenders. There are quite a few references here in earlier threads, I went through them last fall when I was building new plug wires for my XDI-converted 308 QV. From the Ferrariparts.co.uk catalog, Diagram 42 - Ignition, part number 126699 is the correct 328 extender - notice the 3 flats below the top connector, like your old extender in your picture above, and they're 107 mm length. https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/part/ferrari/126699
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

If you compare to the 3.0 2V extenders like on the 308 GTBi/GTSi, diagram 37 Ignition, part number 116613 looks like the part you received - no flats on the top of the extender insulator, and as you've found, the length is different as well - 100 mm. https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/part/ferrari/116613

You want 126699, watch for the 3 flats on the top of the insulator part of the extender.

AW Italian shows both of these parts as listed for the correct models, mentions the different lengths.
    https://www.awitalian.com/product/spark-plug-extension-red-107-mm-long-126699.html/
    https://www.awitalian.com/product/spark-plug-extension-red-100-mm-long-fits-4-valve-euro-cars-only-116613.html/

There's also a black version of the 100mm long version, part number 115647 - https://www.awitalian.com/product/spark-plug-extension-black-100-mm-long-115647.html/.

No matter, for the 328 you definitely want the 107mm long red extender part number 126699. Your vendor sent you the wrong versions.

Cheers,
    Gordon

Smiles likes this.
  4. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    Thanks,
    I have an '81, 308 GTBi and you're correct, the extenders are black and shorter. The vendor responded that these are the "correct" extenders for a 328 and recommended I pull the wires through the red circular plug caps???? Doesn't seem right nor does it seem possible to pull the connection out of the red circular cap.

5. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Was my understanding that there were only two types of plug extenders. Black for early 308 Carb/injection and the red extenders for QV/328.
    I don’t think there’s enough of a length difference in the old red extenders versus the new red extenders to cause an issue. On a positive note the shorter extenders will keep the rubber boots seated snuggly around the openings in the cam covers. 2cts. :)

6. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #6 GordonC, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Would you mind naming the vendor? As I posted, there are definitely different part numbers for the 328 extender, and the extenders that vendor is insisting are OK are the 308 shorter version with a different part number. No question, the vendor is wrong.

If their suggestion was to make the shorter extenders fit by pulling the wire through the cap, that's... downright dumb. It is possible to pull out or push through the wires through the cap, but the right angle connector on the wire that seats in the cap wouldn't fit on the extender if it was pulled through. I re-used the cap and pulled wires through to make one piece plug wires for my XDI installation

Here's the wire pulled through the cap, Hemi rigid tube in place seated in the underside of the cap, wire with straight connector, the red spark plug boot fits inside the black tube:

Old boot, extender, plug on the left; new setup with re-used boot, hard tube, soft boot, on the right

One piece when assembled, from wire/boot/hard tube/soft boot clipped directly on top of spark plug. Eliminated the troublesome Magnetti Marelli extenders entirely. (Eliminated the distributors, too, and the failing Digiplex control boxes. I highly recommend the Electromotive XDI kit as sold by Nicks Forza Ferrari)

7. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Gordon,

WHERE did you get that cam cover cap in the last photo?

Oh, and back on topic, IIRC the internal resistance of at least the black (2V) and like-sized red (QV) extenders is different too.

The resistance MIGHT be different between the red QV and red 328 extenders yet again. IDK.

8. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    The distributor end cap was supplied by Nick’s Forza Ferrari as an option on his XDI ignition kit.

I read a bunch about the various extenders last fall when I was preparing to install the XDI, and while there are quite a few assumptions that there are differences in resistances, any threads where actual measurements were made to compare, nobody found an actual difference, they all measured the same.

9. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Gordon,

Thanx.

Question as I don't have a parts book handy.

Did the exhaust cam pictured originally have a pullie on it for the air-pump that feeds the air injectors on the exhaust side?

10. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Hi Mark,
    No, no air pump or pulley on this car - it's a Euro QV, so did not have the air injection system at all.

Cheers,
    Gordon

mwr4440 likes this.
  11. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Thanx, Buddy.