Pista-STO- 765LT- AMG Black series | Page 37 | FerrariChat

Pista-STO- 765LT- AMG Black series

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Nov 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    In no way should the STO be only comparable to the Performante. If it is not a tangible and significant upgrade over the Performante, the STO would and should be considered a failure.

Thecadster and Shadowfax like this.
  2. Mortarion

Mortarion Karting

Jun 6, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jase
  3. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I sold the Perf for the STO as a I wanted a "hooligan" for the road. I am sure when it arrives I wont be unhappy!!. Plenty luggage space - just remove the helmet holder and u will get another few inches :)

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #904 Shadowfax, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Agree totally. If it isnt up to the measure of the competition then its absolutely a fail especially when its sole usable purpose is for track.

Im surprised they haven’t released any track data on it at this stage. All this talk about ring times - where is it?

I recall recently watching a vid from Robert Apex taxis saying theyve spent enough time out there doing time trials so why such delay? He also mentioned the STO was being moved well off standard to produce so maybe that answers why. Weird..

I dont see it as a matter on whether the car will be a hoot to drive but more a case of does it actually stack up in the area where its claimed to be best suited for - track. Itd be embarrassing if it cant beat a base 992 GT3 when that car is a whole lot cheaper with more overall practicality. Maybe this is why we haven’t seem a ring time yet?

Coincid likes this.
  5. Mortarion

Mortarion Karting

Jun 6, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jase
    They got caught using race fuel and had some minor modifications that's not factory to the car I believe.

I'm personally not a fan of the other Huracan models, but the STO spoke to me. The aesthetics was one major factor why I purchased the car.

F8 & Pista is not really a significant upgrade between each other, but I wouldn't call it a failure.

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #906 Shadowfax, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    You’re missing the key point.

Also Pista most certainly produced the circuit times so i wouldnt be drawing upon that car as any means to excuse the situation. F8 and Pista are also both starkly different to drive as well but i guess it is easy - and typical - for those who havent driven them to make a proper comparison, drawing the conclusion they are one of the same.

At this stage its not even known what STO is able to best on a circuit and this is odd considering its marketing claim to fame is circuit use. Added to this confusion is the Apex story and then stories of race fuel and other off standard alterations and still no times.

Id say at this stage they have a problem in Heuston! And this new Gt3 has obviously thrown a cat in amongst the pigeons. God help Lambo once they drop out the 992 gen 1 RS! I think there will be more track goers opting for one of those over and above any STO and for a lot less money leaving this lambo to fizz out like sparkler.

7. Mortarion

Mortarion Karting

Jun 6, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jase
    "F8 and Pista are also both starkly different to drive as well but i guess it is easy - and typical - for those who havent driven them to make a proper comparison, drawing the conclusion they are one of the same".. What makes you think the Performante/Evo is not starkly different to drive than the STO? Both have the same DNA aswell as F8/Pista.

Mate, I know ur a Porsche guy and love to disparage Lamborghini its natural lol.

Boomhauer and Shack like this.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #908 Shadowfax, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Again youve missed the point made by Coincid which was what i responded to.

You’ve now resorted to protectionism over Brand preference rather than being able to see things for what they are and being able to comment on the points raised.

How would you even know what my intentions are with the STO? This is the funny thing which i see go on here from time to time where reality is ignored in favor of brand preference and the defence mechanism kicks in cancelling out the glaringly obvious. Ridiculous!

The fact remains, as previously stated, until proven otherwise.

To help you out the point is STO’s circuit/performance credentials, not just the difference between a Perf. As in where tf are they?

9. Mortarion

Mortarion Karting

Jun 6, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jase
    Brand protectionism? Honestly, I couldn’t give a toss mate. I love Porsche aswell, but It’s just a fact Porschephiles love to put down Lamborghini. To your eyes it doesn’t meet ur expectations, when you can buy a GT3 for almost half the price which probably performs better in the purpose it was built for I understand. But what you don’t realise is ur paying for the wank factor of it being Lamborghini a real head turner or as u call it poser mobile. Your assumptions just because JWW drove it on some crappy UK backroad u made up ur mind that it was a **** ride and will get sick of it quick when you haven’t even driven the car yourself. I’ll take the car to track, drive it anywhere I want and be a poser at the same time I don’t give a f mate.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Boomhauer and Shack like this.
  10. italytrotter

italytrotter Rookie

Sep 19, 2015
    World
    This is another recent video for the STO on track... it is in Italian and unfortunately this guy talks too much and covers the soundtrack, however from 12.00 there are few moments where you can hear how the car is revving up.

I agree with the comments above - the STO needs to be a better car overall than the Performante - but very difficult to tell from these videos, especially on the engine soundtrack. I really hope the sound quality is at least the same of the Performante as it is outstanding.

For the skipping over/ jumping etc. again very hard to tell, it really depends on the roads conditions, which i also experienced many times in some horrible roads with the GT3RS 991.2 which is a quite stiff car.

I guess we need to wait a bit more when the cars are delivered and/or some of the demo models are available to test drive, looking forward to that

11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I will offer a caution, since designing and manufacturing high end audio components has been my livelihood for almost 3 decades, do not expect to hear anything resembling the actual sound of a car that has been recorded by an iphone and then replayed on an ipad or computer. The frequency range will be extremely limited, especially in the lower frequencies and the dynamic range severely compressed.

12. italytrotter

italytrotter Rookie

Sep 19, 2015
    World
    Absolutely true - and on different note, i have plenty of videos of me driving and having great time, but when at home and watching the videos they are underwhelming especially on the sound department...

2006m5, Thecadster and Coincid like this.
  13. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    JWW the Youtuber who made the comment is not a "true driver" (like some of the others i.e. Chris Harris etc). I wouldn't take anything he says seriously ito of how any of these cars handle.

2006m5 likes this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I wouldn't assume Shadow doesn't have an STO incoming. Regardless he will call it as he sees it as he did/does with the Pista and 765LT that he owns. Regarding Porsche I think we can all admit that no matter how pedestrian they seem, they get it right just about every time.

15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The tendency is to applaud the car reviewers who are positive to the car (s) owned and criticize those who are negative to our car. Reviewers have their own preferences and priorities plus there exist covert motives that will impinge upon the content of their reviews. Chris Harris' driving credentials are beyond question. Yet his ultimate overall assessment of the Pista, SF90 was not positive. He actually stated that he would buy a F430 Scuderia over the Pista and the F8 over the SF90. When driving the 765 on the road, Harris felt the car was too much to handle. So much feedback that it required too much attention for the driver. Many on this forum would not share his evalutations of the cars referenced here.

Professional car reviews can be edifying in certain respects but it is clear that they remain a subjective evalutation which may or may not correlate to YOUR reaction to the same car.The only person who needs to be satisfied with the ownership of a car is the one who purchased it.

16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Perfectly describes my hopes when I decided to move from the perfectly awesome Performante to the STO. I want the car to be extra in every key category: harsher, tighter, lighter, louder, etc.

Boomhauer, Shack and ScrappyB like this.
  17. italytrotter

italytrotter Rookie

Sep 19, 2015
    World
    #917 italytrotter, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Thecadster and Ash Patel like this.
  18. italytrotter

italytrotter Rookie

Sep 19, 2015
    World
    here another video of the STO running in Vallelunga, - this time with a 360 degree camera hanging on the back of the car - the car pops nicely...

2006m5, Ash Patel, Mortarion and 2 others like this.
  19. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Insane sound - nothing compares !!!!!

italytrotter and Thecadster like this.
  20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Is this Forza?

Shadowfax likes this.
  21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    There is a problem with the suspension of the car or this is the bumpiest track I have ever seen. The entire chassis is bobbing up and down symptomatic of suspension tuning that is either excessively stiff without the capability of damping chassis motion due to irregular surfaces or alternatively is extremely compliant and lossy with inadequate damping to exert adequate control.

22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    It’s video game footage.

Shadowfax and Gh21631 like this.
  23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #923 Shadowfax, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    Yes it was hilarious seeing how it sucked in 4 people going by the reps! Just goes to show how desperate some must be just to believe in that LOL!

Jww's vid gave a far better insight overall as it was done on a regular back road which showed various behavioral traits of the suspension set up and, various demonstrations of engine sound. It's actually videos like this which give a far better (more realistic) understanding of a cars behavior in regular type driving environments, which is where most of these types of cars wind up being driven anyway.

On a circuit the full sound potential is more likely to be extracted along with handling/cornering characteristics as the car is being driven more consistently towards the limit.

It's pretty clear the STO is more suited to the track than the road.

And given STO's main purpose/suitability is for circuit I'm surprised it's taking so long for any track data to appear which may give rise to how competitive the car is vs the numerous alternatives - (competitors).

24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #924 Shadowfax, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    I suspect whoever is making these digital video's is trying the emulate the on road characteristics hence all the jigging around at the back of the car.

Another thing which I noticed on Jww's vid as well as all the porpoising going on - (which he called out) - was the camera footage showing the rear upper body panels flexing and moving around quite badly. It appears the superficial panel structure and rear wing is unable to remain properly rigid with the structural frame, which indicates inadequate fixings and/or panel strength. Certainly not comforting to watch all that distortion going on up there.. watch at @ 16:20.

25. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Hmmm….maybe it’s not video game footage after all. The driver is presented it as a real video, albeit with an unusual angle and unusual lens effect.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CR8iMsDKDJ3/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=38cc155e-41e1-4ada-8dc8-3be028e785e2