P0134 | FerrariChat

P0134

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 12659, Jul 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    Hi All;
    I am getting the P0134 code. I swapped out the downstream 02 sensor Bank 1 (driver side). no change.
    When i moved the car onto the lift, it was the passenger side cat that was hot.
    The driver's side was stone cold. I have not tried to start it since, the scanner continues to show the code when plugged into the OBDII, ignition on.

Any insight would be appreciated.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Isn't P0134 the upstream sensor (no activity)? Bank 1, sensor 1?

Anyway, it sounds like you have no combustion on the right bank. Check the basics (fuel pressure and spark), then go down the rabbit warren of possibilities.

I don't know what tools you have, but I have one of those cheap ($10) pen spark testers

3. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    Thanks for the insight. I scanned again and got another code: P1445, which has something to do with the Evap system.
    That's the next stop in the the rabbit hole...

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Not sure. I don't have any specific 550 codes. On the 360, the code is for one of the Thermocouple ECUs. These have the potential to shut down a bank. The ECU may be putting out a false overheat signal. Are you getting a SLOW DOWN light on your multifunction digital display?

5. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    Yes I did get a slow down light. I swapped Thermocouples side to side with no effect. Still, bank #1 which is the driver's side has no spark or fuel.
    Next I'll try disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery.

6. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    P.S. I ordered an evap solenoid.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thermocouples or thermocouple ECUs? I would also makes sure you're getting 12 volts at the Thermocouple ECU (green wire with ignition on).

How did you match the P1445 code to the evap system? Does your scanner decode the number? Is it Ferrari-specific?

8. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    The P1445 code is not Ferrari specific, but it indicates an evap problem.. You are correct, I swapped the thermocouple ECU. I'll check for power at the green wire.

9. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Mark, the best advice I can offer is to find someone with an SD 1/2/3

Using definitions of trouble codes other than those that start with P zero is a crap shoot and can be expensively misleading.

Ferrari, hiding behind a "Limited Production" Status was not required to publish Manufacturer Specific DTC's so they did not.

Ferrari intended that the car be diagnosed using a SD 1/2 using the diagnostic ports/interface cables provided, not the OBD2 port

Further evidence that Ferrari never intended a generic scanner to be used on 550's was the lack of a ground wire on the OBD2 port.

Qavion likes this.
  10. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    Thanks Dave:

Your wisdom is appreciated. It is certainly frustrating to hurl myself at this problem, knowing Ferrari intentionally designed in a serious of trap doors.
    I'll call around tomorrow and compare usurious rates for plugging in!

Cheers

Mark

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Really funny how P-Code information is readily available for the 575M, but not for the 550.

12. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ferrari lost its “Limited Production” status after 2000 so was from then on required to document the codes
    FWIW I got this information from Brian Crall and others.
    I, myself, have spent many hours and dollars chasing spurious 550 trouble codes before I realized this.
    The Audi DTC list is about the best I’ve found but I actually got one that said I had a faulty glow plug indicator light.
    The SD system works really well but they’re getting hard to find.

Qavion likes this.
  13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- Those Ferrari glow plugs are really expensive.