Is Hamilton the luckiest driver ever? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is Hamilton the luckiest driver ever?

Discussion in 'F1' started by pnicholasen, Jul 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    ALways has been the car... This season clearly demonstrates he cannot perform under pressure. The last time he was under pressure, he lost the WDC to Nico.

mcimino, SimCity3, lagunacc and 8 others like this.
  2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Toto & Co. are without peer, although RBR is a close second. Nobody else is at the same level.

furoni, Bas and william like this.
  3. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    ^ Exactly what success of Merc F1 team lies with Toto? I'd venture to say little or none. He's not the mastermind of the aero, or the engine. He's merely filling a role in the highest spending team in the sport. Put any other TM from any other team and you'd see the same success.

4. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    If Ham was soooo lucky, he wouldn’t have hit the Brake Magic button in Baku and lost a guaranteed 25 points. So no, he’s no luckier than anyone else.

Having said that, I would argue that George Russell is the most unlucky driver on the grid. Poor kid just cannot score a point without bad luck getting in the way…

Mark(study) and Terra like this.
  5. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    He had already lucked into a far better position with Verstappens tyre problems.

stavura, 375+ and Bas like this.
  6. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    So do you believe that all of his success is down to luck and none of his failures down to bad luck?

william and lorenzobandini like this.
  7. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    No but he is extremley lucky think Imola where a duck was the likely outcome.

stavura, Picchu88 and Bas like this.
  8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I would say that having your chief rival crash out from the lead with 2 laps to go through no fault of his own (tyre failure) is very lucky indeed. I would add that on the restart, taking the lead but due to pressing a button isn't unlucky but driver error. It wasn't a setting that re-engaged itself due to a computer reset or anything like that. It was literally hand positioning and physically pressing a button that did that.

It's lucky that running wide 29 times, winning a bit of time each time and extending tyre life and the stewards turning a blind eye.

It's lucky that despite spinning off and getting stuck for an entire lap, his teammate crashes and causes a red flag, allow Lewis to not only unlap himself, but also be mere seconds behind his title rival.

It's lucky that he crashed into his title rival, instantly disabling his title rival, and that the damage he incurred could be repaired in the long red flag period. It's lucky that he received a very lenient penalty allowing him to drop no lower than 4th....and his lapdog teammate rolling out the red carpet for him to pass. It's lucky that the driver ahead of him had car issues allowing him to pass for the lead with a couple of laps to go.

Yeah I'd count him pretty lucky.

9. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    What, and max or any other driver never has good luck? So Ham literally has a monopoly on F1 luck and all of his success, without exception, is purely down to this? Ok got it.

bmwracer, william and lorenzobandini like this.
  10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Really not sure how you get that from simply pointing out his luck from this year? Where did I say ANYTHING amounting to ''the only reason for his success was his luck"?

Read Post 22.

Nortonious likes this.
  11. 'Don't know if he coined it, but Johnny Rutherford made the statement after being asked "Do you feel luck played a part in your victory today?" after winning one of his 500s...............
    "Luck is where preparation and opportunity meet". :cool:

william likes this.
  12. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I think that’s from one of those inspirational posters they used to advertise in those cheesy airline magazines....:rolleyes:

schumacherf2006 likes this.
  13. Uuuhhhh.......E for effort, but no.

Try.....Roman philosopher Seneca, “Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ;)

14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Not Lone Star JR?

15. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    Easy to be lucky when you've sold your soul to the devil

Nortonious likes this.
  16. Elaborate, please do......

william likes this.
  17. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    And LH's luck continues; strong as ever...

william and fil like this.
  18. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Amazing isn't it? LH takes out MV gets 10 sec penalty. Gio speeds in pits gets 10sec. Does the penalty fit the crime?

I wonder if Merc will keep VB? VB is the best team player. He is no challenge to LH and He took out both RB's, nearly guaranteeing the constructors's championship for Merc. I bet VB gets a 2022 contract. Russel is too fast. The only way I see Russel going to Merc is if LH wins his 8th and retires for 2022.

stavura, 375+, Bas and 2 others like this.
  19. RobertJRB

RobertJRB Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Is Hamilton very lucky?

After today’s race, with all the mistakes he made still ending second (after they disqualified Vettel),Yes he is a very lucky driver.
    It’s almost unbelievable how everything seems to go his way

stavura, 375+, fil and 3 others like this.
  20. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    What? Explain please.

21. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Well Bottas today probably cost Max at least 18 points + whatever Perez was likely to score. Max's car was carrying massive damage all race - why would they not re-sign if he has a few more races like this?

Bas and Nortonious like this.
  22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes Amazing! Vettel's DQ is a harsher penalty than LH taking out and endangering the life of another competitor. Silly me I thought the Gio pitlane speed penalty was harsh. I stand corrected!

stavura, 375+, Bas and 2 others like this.
  23. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Might that be slightly premature? We're only halfway thru the season and Mercedes leads Red Bull by a scant 10 points in the WCC.

lorenzobandini and william like this.
  24. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    LH's ability to be on the receiving end of gifted points is uncanny; he's the antithesis of Chris Amon...

375+, Bas, william and 1 other person like this.