Pista vs. 2018 (ish) Aventador | FerrariChat

Pista vs. 2018 (ish) Aventador

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by EFerrari34, Jul 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EFerrari34

EFerrari34 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 19, 2021
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    Good afternoon,

I have intentionally avoided posting this question for a months so I could ensure that I re-read every post & be confident that it was not answered previously, but it wasnt. I am checking myself due to the fact that I'm sometimes blinded by my own love of Ferrari.

My question is mainly tailored around the value of the vehicles & potential future values (i understand no one has a glass ball). With some of the 2020 Pista's currently in the $480-$560k range I wanted to get your personal opinions on if the value of an aventador in the similar price range would make you nervous purchasing vs. a pista. I'm not really asking about the pro's and con's of each car; but from more of your personal anticipated value perspective. Taking into consideration the cost of ownership. I admittedly have never owned an Aventador even though I've researched many of the repair & maintenance costs & I know some of you have or currently own them.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts or experience in the vehicles themselves & your thoughts on the values rising, lowering or maintaining the current market values.

Thanks very much in advance.

Tim

paulchua and JJ like this.
  2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Without any consideration for values, have you driven both the cars and if so which one is your preference?

paulchua, Shadowfax and Thecadster like this.
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Aventador has the potential to drop substantially. Pista has the potential to maintain msrp for the near term. No one knows for sure.

4. EFerrari34

EFerrari34 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 19, 2021
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    Thanks for your reply. I have Driven the LP 740-4 for around 250 miles in different conditions. I have driven the 488 quite a bit. I have never really driven the pista outside of driving down the road & back for 5 minutes. I'm having a tough time finding the exact color I want in the Pista (even though the main color is Rossa Corsa so I'm referring to the stripe), but I will wait & it will pop up b/c its not super rare.

The answer that you're looking for is basically that I lean towards the Pista, but they're close. I'm really a Ferrari guy, but it seems clear that the increases in value has risen more with Ferrari than The Lambo. I looked at a ton of cars around 2018 & the values now & my math looks like Ferrari values increased around 9-11% more than lambo's disregarding the specialty models. The bottom line is that I have the unshakable itch now & am not concerned about being able to buy any car in the future b/c I usually only keep them a year; so I'm really trying to research to the best of my ability if one is going to drop significantly more than the other one when inflation slows due to the feds seriously considering raising interest rates to slow inflation. I don't have a crystal ball either, but appreciate thoughts on the subject. I'm also openminded to other similar exotic cars in that price range or below that I may not be thinking about now. I admittedly am a complete novice on the Mclaren brand, but their NA HQ in 10 minutes from me & all of the McLaren guys share that their biggest frustration is the fact that they are basically locked in to the actual dealers b/c they refuse to license their tools & software to an "authorized repair center."

Thanks again.

paulchua likes this.
  5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    You are going to lose money in any car you buy. You just have to decide if you are ok with it or not. There is no feee lunch.

Caeruleus11, Alexcle, FFan5 and 3 others like this.
  6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Pista vs AV, I’d take Pista.
    Pista vs SV or SVJ, all day the latter.

Bas and Shack like this.
  7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Pista all day and I love the SVJ

EFerrari34, Shadowfax and Thecadster like this.
  8. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    What other cars do you own, or have you owned? What did you like about them? What didn’t you like about them? What kind of driving will you doing?

paulchua and plastique999 like this.
  9. +1

I know the OP was asking about "value" but if one were to take into consideration driving experience (which, I am not sure why it wouldn't be a consideration since we are talking about automobiles), the Pista is much much better driving experience.

While there is a certain old school charm to the Aventador set-up, with that dramamine-necessary single-clutch tranny, that gorgeous and raucous V-12 right behind your head, the pushrod suspension system, the awkward seating position, and clunky user-interface, there is really nothing quite like the Aventador that's currently on the market. There's a certain panache to driving an Aventador, sort of like cruising the street in an armored military-grade tank. Both are slow, clunky, and just too wide with just too much limited visibility for civilian roads.

10. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Impressive opening posts!
    Value threads as you say no crystal ball.
    May consider other options…
    What do you like driving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  11. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Hmm you are posting the question on the ferrari forum. Perhaps you should also post on the Lamborghini one and average the results

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #12 Shadowfax, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    The driving element must be of secondary importance. Looking pretty and not losing too much in that process appears to be the prime objective. Dusty will be able to give some good advice on this one :D.

EFerrari34 and Coincid like this.
  13. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Spent quite a bit of time in a friends SV roadster (I was in my 3RS) - couldn't wait to get back into the 3RS but then I had SV withdrawals within minutes. Something about driving a "tractor" that looks and sounds stunning. IMO if its your only car Pista all the way....

Napoli likes this.
  14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    This is a little off topic but one day I drove my Speciale to the Lambo dealership to check out a beautiful Aventador S they had for sale. I took it on an extensive test drive with the sales guy. It definitely was an experience to drive, but I told the sales guy it doesn’t drive anywhere near as well as my Speciale...and he agreed the Speciale was by far a better driver’s car.
    If you want one sports car/exotic to own and drive and likely have it hold its value reasonably well then IMO that would be the Pista by a country mile.

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Unless you get an SVJ, the Pista should be the best investment. Read as in cost you to least to own. Want an investment? Buy property.

But in all seriousness, the Pista is doing pretty well. It had a bit of a rough patch last year dipping below MSRP, but those days are gone. Where I am the regular Aventador does not do anything but depreciate, and the SV is also below MSRP. THe SVJ does well, but that's a bit of a different thing.

As a car you actually drive, I cannot wrap my head around the Aventador. I think it sucks! The words "clunky", "tractor", "slow", "awkward seating position", etc sums it up perfectly. Poster car, not a drivers car. Sure it looks wild and sounds cool, but that wears off quick when every damn time you take it out, you get annoyed. The engine and gearbox are carryovers that feel as old as they are, and the steering feels heavy.

Get a Pista if you want to drive, it's that simple. The only Lambo of a more recent vintage I would consider, would be a gated Murci. Now that's a pretty seductive and odd fella, especially in the ultra rare gated SV variant.

EFerrari34 and paulchua like this.
  16. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    And another thing…….

Italiafan told me yesterday the view in his Speciale’s rear view mirror is so much better than the Aventador.

Oh wait, I wasn’t in his rear view mirror, lol ……..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

EFerrari34 and italiafan like this.
  17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Taking a poll from anyone who wishes to waste their time answering these type of questions is definitely the best way to decide on which car to spend $500K.

Gh21631 and Shadowfax like this.
  18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Poll results-

1 - undecided
    1 - Aventador SVJ
    4- Pista
    1- Speciale

Pista wins.

jerrym likes this.
  19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    This thread is folly.

I can't get my head around how anyone has to ask advice what to do and what to buy from total strangers on line. Bizarre..

Rrr1, Gh21631, Coincid and 1 other person like this.
  20. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Hang on ... not that simple - if you through the Special in the ring u will get a different answer :)

italiafan likes this.
  21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    +1

Speicale > Pista > regular AV

Shack and italiafan like this.
  22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I prefer the 765LT. I’m kidding….I’m kidding…lol.

SECRET, SoCal to az and mdrums like this.
  23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Did you mention the 765.

cy0811 likes this.
  24. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Oh god. Here we go.

Lol.

Tech Nerd likes this.
  25. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Don't add the boring stuff from Porsche please :)