812 Replacement Rumors | Page 10 | FerrariChat

812 Replacement Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Thecadster, Jun 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    I say it again, the replacement for the 812 will be V12 NA.
    You can sleep easy, at least this time:cool:

F2003-GA, ANOpax, Caeruleus11 and 3 others like this.
  2. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    I would love nothing more!

dcmetro likes this.
  3. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    unassisted N/A ??

4. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Skim read the thread this morning. A few thoughts of mine

1. While I think it is unlikely Ferrari would not offer a V12 in the EU there is a precedent in Ferrari's history for withdrawing the 12 from certain markets. The Boxer and 400 were never offered in the US market due to not being able to meet emmissions regs there, or more to the point Ferrari didn't see the business case for making them compliant even though it was the biggest market.

2. Not seen this discussed (apologies if it has) but I would imagine any new Ferrari V12 is going to feature cylinder deactivation technology. If they can make the car run as a 4 or 6 cylinder in certain situations it will be a big help (although not a magic bullet) in meeting emmissions targets. I believe the Bentley W12 already does this although maybe Ferrari can take the tech a step further?

3. A mid rear V12 replacement for the 812 is unlikely IMO. The 296 and SF90 cover that market in both price and performance and a V12 would create unneccessary packaging compromises without a performance gain over the existing cars.

4. The SF90 and 296 also could allow Ferrari to make the 812 replacement a bit more GT and a bit less supercar, maybe more of a big Roma? That might also appeal to GTC4Lusso customers that don't want the FUV/Purosangue. Certainly I can see the styling being more focused on asthetics than ultimate downforce.

Lukeylikey, italiafan and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

The new purosangue V12 will be a game changer for the whole Ferrari range.
    This is why i don't see a front engined V12 for the 812 SF replacement.

ingegnere and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. Maximus1977

Maximus1977 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2016
    Why put a V12 in a SUV? The mileage would be insane. Hybrid seems only logical option.

7. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Nowadays you just have to say the right things or the MSM will tear you up. I would take this with a grain of salt. This is 14 years in the future, a lot can change between now and then.

8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Might not all prove correct but this seems like good logical thinking to me.

Caeruleus11 and Daytonafan like this.
  9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Cylinder deactivation in a V12 extreme sports car? From the same mind that thought up start/stop no doubt.

Caeruleus11 and Bundy like this.
  10. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Already present for some time on Aventadors FYI….

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    ..because mileage is important.

12. gliazzurri

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Isnt that what we are talking about though? Not sure if I missed some other reason an 812 replacement would have this.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The gist of the thread (as its always been since the Enzo) is that the NA V12 has reached it's maximum. No way to extract another horse from it. Must go forced induction or electric assist or both. Yet rivals can do +11k rpm and 1,000 hp in a road car. The other concern is GPF for particulates due to DI which Ferrari should have no issue overcoming IMO. Sound also an issue since the F8 and now the 812C sound like crap. Fuel mileage is not something of a concern for the replacement and cylinder deactivation is moronic in such a car, also IMO.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    The Ferrari V12 peaked with the pre-GPF 812 Superfast and every iteration after will have ever more and more emissions cheating devices. First thing i do when i start up my 812SF is to turn off the Stop/Start which has now become so second nature it no longer needs conscious thought.
    The replacement will be faster on paper but will undoubtedly will be compromised due to this and will lose character and noise in the process. It will be a faster more modern car but in the process become physically bigger, heavier and quieter. Real shame but in many eyes will be seen as progress and help save the planet.

Caeruleus11, Eilig, 430jm and 5 others like this.
  15. gliazzurri

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    I agree with that being moronic but for the companies trying to find ways to get better mileage to keep it in regs to be produced still. I would rather have deactivation than a turbo and smaller displacement. Anyways the deactivation feature is only used under the most basic circumstances in the other model and in my experience is only turned on under the most limited of accelerator pedal pushing and low rpm positions and is readily deactivated when switching modes which at least preserves usual function.
    And as always my opinion, sounds like crap is a no go on these cars.

Caeruleus11 and Lukeylikey like this.
  16. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    Do you think over 4 litre?

17. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Cosworth's skill is in making race car engines, and never a road car V12, we'll see how often it requires a rebuild....maybe every 6000 miles...who knows. Ferrari makes engines to last (in road cars)...

18. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Si .

19. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Merci
    Moins de 6.5 litres ?

20. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Speak english freakin' frog:p

456-boy likes this.
  21. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    C’est l’hôpital qui se fout de la charité !

mepassione and Jonathan19 like this.
  22. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    That's my specialty :D

mepassione, jpalmito and Jonathan19 like this.
  23. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    I doubt mileage is a key factor when buying a luxury SUV or a Ferrari, let alone a Ferrari luxury SUV.

F2003-GA likes this.
  24. mycatisholdingmehostage

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The car that motor is in also costs $3M+. It’s not that Ferrari can’t make an engine like that, it’s just if they did the car would be ridiculously expensive, require tremendous overhaul costs and not be really what their broad market wants.

We all say we want a 1000hp v12 that spins to 11k (and of course we do) but how many are willing to pay the price, deal with it overheating at stop lights and requiring a overhaul every 5000 miles?

By far and wide, the market for these cars want something that looks flash, is compfy enough to take their date in, and get to the store and back without exploding.

The cosworth example is an apples to oranges comparison that for some reason people like to make because they think it proves a point. Why not just say, “hey Ferrari should just put their formula 1 engine in these things!” Again, sure we all want a 20000 RPM 1 litre engine that makes all that power but good luck with that.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11, F2003-GA and rossodino like this.
  25. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Are you speaking as an engineer? The 812 Competizione is the pinnacle of that F140 V12. In the LaFerrari it made the same specific power; this seems to be the end of the current V12. A new one is in order.