How do you fix a broken side grill fin? | FerrariChat

How do you fix a broken side grill fin?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stekkefun4, Jul 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
  2. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    First you have to find out what plastic this is....to know the exact method.

ronfrohock likes this.
  3. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Go to the hardware store and pick up some ABS pipe cleaner and adhesive. Plumbing isle. Scrape off an area on the backside and apply a bit of cleaner carefully to the scraped off area. Wait a minute and then try to remove with a cloth. See if the cleaner “attacked” the material. If it did, it’s likely a styrene derivative and you can use the materials listed above.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    I think they're fiberglass. A quick search indicates either superglue or a two part epoxy. If it is just that little hook at the end, probably the superglue since it has so little surface. I like JB-Weld but I don't see it working on those little tabs, especially with how tight they are in the slots. Could some trim tape could be used underneath the strake?

I had some damage to one of mine and just got a new one on eBay. I may have been lucky, but I think it was $99 and it was already the right color.

5. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Man it so cool looking all by itself!

6. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    If it is plastic PP, PE or other it can be nitrogen welded : but that special welder is $$$$

7. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I just did this and it worked well.
    I took a piece of paper then traced out an existing tab. Found a scrap piece of plastic and “drew” the new tab on with the template. The. Cut it off with a dremmel tool making the base a little longer because it will have to fit in a gap that you grind into the grill end. I used the dremmel tool to make a little gap in the end and then epoxied the new piece into this gap. I used a special plastic epoxy that is super strong DEVCON plastic welder.

8. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Also I drilled small holes in the base of the plastic piece so the devcon would fill the holes and lock the piece in place.

9. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Thanks for the input guys, I'll post some pics of the repair later after I have found a good epoxy.

10. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    All right, it's fixed.

First, I tried to glue a refabricated hook onto the fin with some "plastic epoxy", but that broke off while installing the grill. You can't put much pressure on the epoxied pieces, so it broke off in a matter of seconds. This solution proved to be far from ideal and I'm sure that even if you succeed in installing the grill, chances are the hooks will detach while driving because of all the vibrations.

Then, I thought about taking a thick metal electrical wire, bend the tip, cutting out a fine sleeve in the fin, inserting the wire and covering it with epoxy. That way, the hook will be much more solid that the little plastic hooks. I cut the sleeves with a DREMEL, which took a while (I had to do 3) but once the wire installed and the epoxy applied: SUCCESS!

The first 2 pictures are the attempt I made with the epoxy glue and plastic hooks.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

When that didn't work, I constructed these metal hooks. You can see on the pics that the wire with the hook is inserted in the fine sleeve that I cut out. Then, after the epoxy has dried, I took the DREMEL again to smoothen the surface. Now, the grill is back on the car and looks totally awesome!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Richqv likes this.
  11. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Looks perfect....!!

12. Dr-Boost

Dr-Boost Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    IAN THOMPSON
    Great work @stekkefun4

Would anyone be interested in a reproduction run of these grills?

I always struggle to find replacements and their prices keep going up.

I am looking to have ones made. I am working on having them virtually indistinguishable from the originals.

Let me know if you are interested and I will aim to get the first set made and priced so you can see what they are like.

Thanks,

Ian

13. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I have been thinking of the same thing, but had it all calculated and it would just take a big investment without guarantee these would sell. For the typical issue of the broken hook, a solution is easy as you can see and this avoids having to pay 400 euro for a new or 2nd hand unit in good shape. Personally, I think a new grill should be priced below 280 euro, if not, it's better to repair. That's just my 2 cents.

14. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I’d give this some thought and proceed with caution.

I invested over $12K in making Mondial B Pillars that are better than the originals and priced them based on my cost and a very small profit.

While I enjoyed the experiance and helping fellow Mondial owners to solve a common problem, I still have four pair sitting on the shelf and a wife that gets to tell me “I told you so”.

JDBfreeheel likes this.
  15. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Same story with me with the Mondial rear windows. A strange thing. I had 10 made about 5 years ago. None sold within 3 years, then all were sold the year after and now I have another batch made. It's totally unpredictable, so you have to do it because of the love for Mondials :)

Richqv likes this.
  16. Dr-Boost

Dr-Boost Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    IAN THOMPSON
  17. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I have asked Santa for a pair of Ron's window trim pieces the last two Christmases, but no dice. Either Mr. Claus doesn't have Ron's address, or I have taken up permanent residence on the naughty list. Either is a distinct possibility...

18. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Be a good boy!
    [email protected]

greatscott73 and davem like this.