Testarossa pinout box | FerrariChat

Testarossa pinout box

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Guss23, Aug 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    After chasing gremlins in my car for 3 months, I am thinking it would be nice to have a pinout box. I have looked around and not had any luck finding one but I think I could build one. If anyone out there has a bad ECU I can take apart as well as a 25 pin connector from a bad wire harness. I would also like to find the male and female plugs under the coolant tank if possible. If there is anyone out there with these things please let me know as I would be interested in purchasing them

2. 4heid

4heid Karting

Jul 31, 2019
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was just reading some old threads about the prior equipment used to connect to the ignition ECU.
    The OTC 3226 is readily available on ebay but what isnt is the adapter used on the TR, the OTC 3226-17 which I believe was for the Bosch 55 connectors and related.
    We can grab the 3226 all day for $100 but the adapter would help even more if you had a way to make that.
    This is the tester without the adapter we need.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/154488330031?epid=1723832554&hash=item23f838d72f:g:x0cAAOSw7YZgwmOR

Would be great if someone built a complete unit and rented it around the community as needed.

There is also this old thread with a pic of a box Adrian in Germany built a few years back.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/repairing-a-marelli-microplex.503782/page-2

It would be great if we could rekindle this and find a working solution as I am surely tired of chasing gremlins with my DVM.

3. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    What kind of gremlins? I’m a new Testarossa owner and I’d like to be familiar with the things that can go wrong. Sorry if it’s too off topic.

4. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    That plug was used on a few cars using different kjet/jetronic cars. I bought an extra ECU but I dont want to cut is up as it is a good one. I have assembled/built a few break-out boxes for PCNA. It would not be that hard. I was thinking about doing specific sensor testers as well. I could mount the good ECU in the kit to use a proven "good" one as well

5. 4heid

4heid Karting

Jul 31, 2019
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I may have an ignition ECU as we speak and finding one to confirm that or swap in as part of testing would be highly of interest to me. A rentable package for those that run into issues I think would be a great way for everyone to more quickly determine issues without the incredibly tedious wire by wire approach.

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I would believe a good electronics technician could make up an adapter.

7. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    I believe I have everything on its way now accept the two plugs under the coolant tank. I will keep everyone up-to-date on my progress. So far the plan is as follows:

pinout box for 36 contacts
    First 25 will be for the fuel injection and ignition ECU
    Pin 26 and 27 will be for the two pin Bosch connector
    Pin 28-31will be for the three pin Bosch connector
    Post 32 and 36 will be ground and 12 volts from the battery supplied by a side fed cables with 12volt battery clamps
    I will have the male and female of all plugs so testing can be done live, when the vehicle is running
    I will ask PCNA to make me a labeled placard identifing each terminal
    I will attach my “good” fuel injection ECU to the package so comparison tests can be preformed
    I will construct two duel ended probes, one black and one red to transfer 12v and ground as needed

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    LOL! You can't be a new TR owner. There haven't been new TR's in 30 years. Just kidding. I hope you enjoy it. But, you need to be good with automotive electrical to own these cars. The gremlins will possess your car and you must learn how to perform exorcisms. Sometimes it can be messy. Image Unavailable, Please Login

barryr and turbo-joe like this.
  9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    for those messy things we have a well knowledgeable member: steve ;)

vincenzo likes this.
  10. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Formula Junior

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
  11. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
  12. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I bought the gold connector kit for my TR in 2011 from SRI. They include all the female pin connectors (and just about everything else). Car ran better afterwards, and still does 10 years later; I remember being fascinated how different systems would 'wake up' as I slowly and methodically went about replacing the connectors throughout the car. Seems that decades of being disconnected, reconnected and corrosion take their toll. If you looking to remove electrical system variables from diagnosing engine issues, I would consider the kit.

I too looked high and low for a breakout box (and a 'Jofatron' if I am spelling that correctly). If you make a few boxes, please PM me.

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    mouser may have
    https://www.mouser.de/
    I replaced some originals with better ones , so more tension and also gold plated

14. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Jason,

What ever happened with this?

Beard Bros. likes this.
  15. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    I did manufacture the pin-out box. I have sold the car since and am selling my diagnostic equipment

Beard Bros. likes this.
  16. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    I sent you a message

17. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008