Ristorante Cavallino in Maranello closed permanently? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ristorante Cavallino in Maranello closed permanently?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rumen1, Jan 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    It may well be.

A friend who is a wholesale furniture distributor was once lamenting how younger people were no longer buying quality furniture. I started giving my opinion about what looks nice. He cut me off saying, “Your opinion is irrelevant!” He was right as I did not understand the market.

I have the same feeling here; I may be too old to understand how this concept can work.

2. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I can see the "Lifestyle Store" being staffed by a small herd of useless (but stylish!!) "Serge"bots......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Need4Spd likes this.
  3. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    #53 rumen1, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Well today I have been in the new Cavallino for the first time and I really honestly can say, that for me this place is totally and permanently ruined. For a start - that red color makes the building look little bit like the Adams family's house, but most of all - inside the place looks like a modern interpretation of McDonald's. Yellow rounded chairs and white walls, no atmosphere at all and definitely doesn't look as luxury as it is supposed to.

And then there is the food - a very small selection of meals with ridiculous combinations of ingredients (snails, eels, etc) and not a single normal meal at all...

For me personally this really is the end of this place, which honestly saddens me much, as it was almost the only place I liked to go when spending my time in Maranello.

As for the store, I will not even discuss it now, as it will get my blood pressure so high, that I will not be able to sleep tonight. I just want to know who exactly has taken these bad decisions and what the hell was he thinking exactly...

Lusso123 and crinoid like this.
  4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Sad to hear they have gone that route.
    LdM had the right idea; have your own chef at work. I bet he was seldom disappointed at the dining table...

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I was afraid of this, that they’d go with some kind of esoteric haute cuisine instead of more authentic, even rustic, food of the region.

6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I absolutely totally agree.
    I was there a few weeks ago. Exactly same horrible experience.
    Both the restaurant as well as the store on the other side of the road (my wife and I needed less than 30 seconds to walk thru.....). A complete joke. Whoever did this needs to see a doctor.

Marcel Massini

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    when i was last there, all that was needed was better food.

8. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Really sad, can we see a fatal parallel with the evolution of the factory towards the electric? That is the end of a certain authenticity..

9. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    IMO this is the canary in the coal mine.

Ferrari has lost its way. Everything from our local "new" owners and events to F1 to Corporate and their social media is on a path contrary to what the company was founded on. They need a change of course asap.

Paradiso perduto.

10. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    "So sad to see true love go bad"

11. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    Glad I visited before the remodel! What a shame.

12. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    From out last trip to Maranello in 2018. I am glad I didn't throw the empty box away. Went to dinner with my wife late night. There was only two other customers in the restaurant, I was able to take many photos inside of the restaurant. Dinner was so so and the rolls were nothing to write home about.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Interesting that you mention the rolls. It's funny how we romanticize all things "Italian" here in the US, including the bread. When I ate the Cavallino (and most other restaurants in Italy), they served very bland dinner rolls, similar to frozen rolls that are warmed-up for Thanksgiving.

14. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Sounds like you went to wrong places.

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I'm referring to simple restuarants in Maranello (Cavallino and Montana) and Santa'Agata.

crinoid likes this.
  16. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul

Mrs. Rosso is gluten intolerant. Aside from the surprisingly large range of GF options available pretty much everywhere, she was shocked that so many restaurants brought her fresh baked straight from the oven gluten free bread. I tried it. It was better than the regular bread.

17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Yes I’m messing with you. My experience at Cavallino was good not great. I’m glad I went when I did. I don’t remember the bread though. I actually haven’t been to the other two however we thoroughly enjoyed Lo Smeraldo.

The funny thing is in France I’ve had both the worst and best food of my life. Some of my favorite food has been in Hungary.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  18. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Does anyone have a copy of the menu from the original Cavallino that they can post? We are having a "Taste of Maranello" dinner next year preceding our Concorso Ferrari show and want to take traditional selections from Cavallino and possibly Montana. This only menu I can find online is the newly reopened restaurant and its not the same.

I was able to secure these when I was last there in 2016.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

papou and of2worlds like this.