INDYCAR 2021! | Page 7 | FerrariChat

INDYCAR 2021!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Nembo1777, Apr 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #151 Nembo1777, Aug 5, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    Absolutely: anyone complaining about Indycar now is completely missing the point; a spec series allows intense competition and we have a level of talent now that is off the charts. What matters is the cars are plenty fast big beasts that are awesome to watch with lots of overtaking.

I enjoy Indycar races much more than F1 as so many could win whereas in F1 it is the two Mercs and Max most of the time and apart from crazy scenarios such as Hungary last weekend we get a lot of boring races because of the technological and financial gap between teams.

Back on topic: curious to see what this odd Nashville road course layout will provide in terms of racing.

Here are comments by the man who designed the course:

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/nashville-track-guide-challenges-design/4876375/

2. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Honestly that's an old message that may have been close to the truth a decade or more ago, but have you watched or paid attention to the series or racing over the last few years? Increasing entrants, increased race attendance and TV Viewers, more races on live TV each year and driver talent right up there with F1. No, they don't have Max or Lewis, but they have also got rid of the Mazapin type drivers. The money isn't as big, so the top line talent that couldn't get to, or stay in, F1 has a chance here. Have you watched Pato, Newgarden, Herta etc? The things those guys are doing with these cars is amazing. The only place the guys should be if not Indy car is in a Merc, Red Bull, Ferrari or McLaren. All of them are way too good to be wasted on the back of the F1 grid.

Devilsolsi and Nembo1777 like this.
  3. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Free country. Ratings and attendance would indicate different.

4. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    One man's opinion. When I see drivers handling 1000+HP, get back to me. Down force and technology have made the cars much easier and safer to drive. When records are broken (1 lap,4 lap and fastest lap) then you may see fans return. The purpose of competition is to determine both the ultimate performance of both car and driver. One can not distinguish one's self from others if neither the driver or the car have any real difference that separates the truly talented from others. Rick Mears was an example of that. From a virtual nobody to driving for a top team. His talent was what Penske Racing saw when he lumbered around in a 1972 Eagle chassis in 1977. I do not see any young talent being given that opportunity in today's market unless the individual comes with a rather large check book. The true test of an Indycar driver still is the Indy 500. The current records appear to be secure for years to come.

5. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    "I do not see any young talent being given that opportunity in today's market unless the individual comes with a rather large check book."

Isn't that true in every form of top teir racing? C'mon man!

375+ and Nembo1777 like this.
  6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    TV schedule for Nashville IndyCar -

Practice 1 (Fri. 3.10-4.25pm), Practice 2 (Saturday 12.00-12.45pm), Qualifying (Saturday 3.00-4.45pm) and Warm-up (Sunday, 12.00-12.30pm) will all live stream on Peacock Premium.

Coverage of Sunday’s race itself starts on NBCSN at 4.30pm, with the “Drivers, start your Engines” command being given at 4.38pm and the green flag waving at 4.45pm.

375+ likes this.
  7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    We agree to disagree. Completely. Our parameters are totally different. I could not care less about the technical side as long as there is good racing in fast spectacular cars and you seem to have missed the fact that the talent level in Indycar right now is off the charts.

Back to topic: can't wait for some video of first practice later today and what the drivers think.

pilotoCS likes this.
  8. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Which shows you haven't been paying attention at all. Indy cars are recognized as harder and more physical to drive than F1 cars. First of all they don't have power steering. They have fewer driver aids and there is a larger variety of types of tracks they run on needing more adaptability in driving styles. Those tracks haven't been sanitized and Tilkerized like most European circuits. If you think Indy car is easy compared to F1 go and see what Alonso, Grosjean, K Mags, Ericsson etc. have had to say about driving them. Your view point is your viewpoint and that's fine, but it's obvious you've made a decision regardless of the facts or feedback from those who actually drive these things and have relevant recent F1 experience too.

F1 may be bigger, better funded, bigger global audience and have the panache of of Monaco and the ultra wealthy partying at the track. But please don't mistake that as meaning it's a better series. A different series for sure, but better or harder, no way.

9. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    If you have Comcast cable, simply say "Peacock" into the voice remote. Then scroll through to sports and find the racing section. First practice 4 pm eastern.

10. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
  11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  12. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    polishhammer83 and GuyIncognito like this.
  13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

pilotoCS and polishhammer83 like this.
  14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  15. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    sad news, Bob Jenkins has passed away

RIP

375+ and pilotoCS like this.
  16. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    375+ and GuyIncognito like this.
  17. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Thus proving that talent is secondary to wallet size. I doubt that Derek Bell, Al Holbert, Rick Mears and others would be given any chance today. Hence the value of the driver is secondary to the performance of the car while well funded drivers of questionable talent get to play race car driver. Thanks, I prefer top tier talent showing their skill sets against the best the world has to offer. Not seeing that these days!

18. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    When the equipment remains effectively the same for over 7+ years you get what you have. True talent adapts to any race car at any time. I doubt any driver today could compete at the levels of Emerson Fitipaldi, Nigel Mansell, or Al Holbert. All ran in Indy Car and competing series worldwide. When you get talent world wide wanting to accept the challenges of LeMans, Indy 500 and other professional races, then you may have a argument. That is why CART was highly regard by IMSA,F-1 And WEC drivers. True talent accepts the challenges of any series. Emerson, Mario being several of a few true world class drivers! I do not see that presently in any series.

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    all three of the drivers you mentioned had family racing connections, and the Holberts owned a Porsche dealership

family and/or money have always been important in racing, there are very few who make it to the top without that.

Texas Forever and Devilsolsi like this.
  20. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Let you in on a little secret...Mario lives about 35 miles from my home. The former Holbert Racing shop...less than 7 miles from it. I knew both Bob and Al. I was asked about working for the Holbert operation. Both Bob and Al were dedicated to the racing and their dealership. As stated, I doubt they would be given a chance today without financial sponsorship.. Do you think a talent like Derek Bell would be given the any consideration without financial resources?

Texas Forever likes this.
  21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    almost nobody is given consideration without financial resources, then or now. either bring the money or find the money….

22. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Tell that to Rick Mears, Johnny Rutherford, AJ Foyt, Mario, etc. True talent needs no money.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  23. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Many of the current Indycar drivers compete in IMSA or WEC or have in the past. Several are former F1 drivers. I don't understand your argument.

24. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Simple. A true driver of talent gets paid to drive a race car. He does not need to bring financial backing. A true champion is paid for his value to the team he races for based on his success. In short...it just isn't happening. Just because a driver is competing in other series, is it because they are being paid or is it that they bring much needed for financial support. Current example ... Scott Dixon. He gets paid to drive whether in Indycar or LeMans. His talent got him in a Ganassi seat and the talent shows in those series he drives in. Enough?

25. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    What series is there currently where there are no drivers bringing money (either cash or sponsorship)? Even in F1 or WEC. It is only the top level full factory programs where they don't need to worry about sponsorship. Everywhere else, the money has to come from somewhere. Just because someone is bringing sponsorship with them to help fund the program, doesn't mean they aren't getting paid.

Here is the list of drivers from the GP...which ones aren't getting paid?

1. (18) Marcus Ericsson, Honda
    2. (2) Scott Dixon, Honda
    3. (10) James Hinchcliffe, Honda
    4. (14) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Honda
    5. (13) Graham Rahal, Honda
    6. (26) Ed Jones, Honda
    7. (9) Alex Palou, Honda
    8. (4) Felix Rosenqvist, Chevrolet
    9. (15) Helio Castroneves, Honda
    10. (12) Josef Newgarden, Chevrolet
    11. (17) Santino Ferrucci, Honda
    12. (20) Conor Daly, Chevrolet
    13. (8) Pato O’Ward, Chevrolet
    14. (11) Will Power, Chevrolet
    15. (6) Jack Harvey, Honda
    16. (5) Romain Grosjean, Honda
    17. (3) Alexander Rossi, Honda
    18. (21) Max Chilton, Chevrolet
    19. (1) Colton Herta, Honda
    20. (27) Cody Ware, Honda
    21. (7) Simon Pagenaud, Chevrolet
    22. (23) Scott McLaughlin, Chevrolet
    23. (19) Dalton Kellett, Chevrolet
    24. (22) Rinus VeeKay, Chevrolet
    25. (24) Takuma Sato, Honda
    26. (25) Jimmie Johnson, Honda
    27. (16) Sebastien Bourdais, Chevrolet

I will re-quote the post of yours I replied to. Your premise was that none of today's drivers were good enough talent wise to compete in multiple top level series on the world stage as they did before. I call BS on that.