Paint Protection Film removal question | FerrariChat

Paint Protection Film removal question

Discussion in '612/599' started by HOBE456, Jul 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HOBE456

HOBE456 Karting

Apr 27, 2012
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I don't know the material that was used, but does anyone have any experience with PPF removal on an early (2008) 599 GTB?

2. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Gently using a heat gun, set at low, or hairdryer. Don't put the gun too close to the paint, keep moving it don't let it sit on one spot.. Slowly pull. i did this w my 2007 599, no issues.

3. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I've taken the film off of my '08 with very hot water, gently, slowly pulling. I've also seen video of someone doing it with steam.

Mark Carbone likes this.
  4. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    You’ll need to take your time. It will be a very slow, painful process. Your fingers will hate you. If you have steam it will be better. Personally, I’d hire it out. You’ll run the risk of being impatient and the risk is repainting the entire hood.

Jim

Mark Carbone likes this.
  5. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Mine was so difficult to get off that I needed to use a rubber wheel. Attaches to a drill and basically melts the film and then clean up the residual with good be gone.

6. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I went the other way. I had 3M film that was put on in 2007 when the car was new. The film had yellowed and had a lot of swirl marks. I thought about taking it off but my paint was pristine and I wanted to keep it that way. So I had someone actually polish out the film and then apply a ceramic coating over it. It looked incredible. Got rid of all of the yellowing and swirls and looks like it doesn't have any film on and is also protected. From my point of view it is now good for another 10 or 15 years.

So depending on the reason you are removing the film, this might be a better alternative.