05/06 Ford GT and Prices | Page 3 | FerrariChat

05/06 Ford GT and Prices

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Art138, Sep 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    You mean Shelby from Elite Auto? Which GT?

2. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    DIGMAN52 and Thecadster like this.
  3. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Stunning, but well worth the money. Automotive nirvana.

Art138 likes this.
  4. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Interesting to watch these auctions; similar mileage car as the aforementioned but went for 360 thousand plus fees.I believe this one had some paint touch up work too.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
  6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Not sure I would agree on best car of all time. Best car of the first 100 years of the American auto industry? Yes IMO.....

Best car of the 21st century? Probably not, but in the conversation at least...maybe an honorable mention. But you know, I bet it is the lowest priced car in that conversation by quite alot so still a bargain.

Kind of a shame that it is now (and probably always will be going forward) priced out of the reach of even upper middle class car guys. I saved like a mad demon for 6 years just to buy a high mile driver grade car under the old pricing model. I wouldn't even consider it under those circumstances now.

Boomhauer, Wikdstrate and Thecadster like this.
  7. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Hey Art,
    It's ironic that you replied to me since I've wanted to reply to your post on the 6,500 mile car with the $359k ask being a great price, but can't remember if pricing discussions were allowed. This pricing bubble for almost everything is just insane to me. Less than 18 months ago, I paid half of this or the yellow accident car at $361k for my 28k mile car, which while not perfect neither are these cars.

I don't think this market is sustainable, and I'm very bullish of FGT collectibility.

9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
  10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Wow, back when a good FGT was $200-225k, this would have been totaled, and someone paid $361k for this?

Thecadster likes this.
  11. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Even crazier, 3 different people bid over $350. That is mind blowing.

BJK, Shark01 and Art138 like this.
  12. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I believe it went that high because the repair work was done by the GT Guy, who was part of the original build team.

Many people on the fordgtforum ship their cars to him to get work done.

DRYHOLE, Art138 and Thecadster like this.
  13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I get that it was repaired by the best guy there is, but it was still a big smack and it got crazy money IMO, and will always carry that wreck with it.

You struggled for months to sell a nice one for $275k just 6-8 months ago, how do you feel about someone paying $366k for this?

Thecadster likes this.
  14. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I agree it is crazy money. Probably should have spent $2-4k to clean up a few rock dings behind the wheelwells, and then put on BAT. Just heard from friends about how long it took to get the ad up, and all the responding to comments by the peanut gallery. I think a bunch of these in the $350k range will have to be a long hold before you can make any money on them. I just got concerned with some texting driver plowing into the GT, and all that entails.

It still is the best driving, and least costly supercar to maintain out there, in my opinion.

DRYHOLE, Thecadster and Shark01 like this.
  15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    So while I don’t buy cars to make money (but I have been fortunate so far), I do want to preserve capital when I can (so I try to not buy cars that I feel are still high on the depreciation curve)..... I feel like this car (which after taxes, shipping, etc) probably has $385k in it, has the potential to be back in the $2XXk value area when this market shakes out, same with the 6-10k mile cars selling in the $350k area.

Crazy times in this hobby when even garden variety 488s are up 20+%, when they should be depreciating 5% per year.

DIGMAN52, Davesvt2000 and Thecadster like this.
  16. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Way out of my league now. I flip flopped on one for too long. Would have had to sell both Ferraris and did not want too. At one point, I thought I could swap the Boxer for the Ford, but here is the reality you wait a bit too long and the market changes.

The Ford is a marvel to me, but now I would not pay 300K for a car with the milesge some have and my gut tells me there is a bit of a frenzy with this car.

Drove a friends with a wipple on it. It was crazy, but in all honesty I can get the crazy acceleration rush from my 2013 corvette 427 with a couple mods. So, I can get my jollies from that and still have the 2 Ferraris until I hit lotto.

If the market comes back and I do have hope it may, then I can make another decision, but more than likely I'm not getting one. To those that have one "I hate you" ;-)

Key up "another one bites the dust" in my hunt for cars I coulda, shoulda, almost had.

Shark01 and Ak Jim like this.
  17. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I bought mine in early 2011 with little over 1000 miles for 172k out the door. It is the car I have kept the longest. Kept my BBi Boxer and Scuderia for two years respectively. Demand has driven prices to crazy levels; I do regret I sold the 82 Boxer; it was a fun car.

Shark01 likes this.
  18. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

My chase is long and disappointing for a GT. Started when it was announced and then saw it at the NY auto show.

I called several dealers on long island and no one knew anything. At 149K it was almost doable, at 225-250 which they were gouging it was never.

Then over the years I have seen them fall to 120s and even GT Joey (when he was pres of Jag club on Long Island and I had my e-type, TVR and 308) was giving me crap about them when they were 175 for a pristine one.

Glad I had a chance to drive one. Very memorable and maybe I can con, er I mean, get another chance to drive one.

If I hit mega millions and there is anything left over after buying a McLaren F1, there will be either a Ford GT40 MK1 or a 05-06 GT.

Enjoy 'em if you got 'em. Hate seeing under 1000 mile cars. To me such a waste.

Shark01 and Thecadster like this.
  19. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    By modern car standards, the GT is quite slow. If “crazy acceleration rush” is high on the priority list, there are better options, for a lot less money. I say that as an owner, and an unapologetic fan of the GT.

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Tell me about your Boxer......my FGT has 30k miles, has a carfax history when a previous owner bumped a curb (it is described on carfax as "damage", not "accident") a ton of good mods. It also has a replaced odometer display (true miles are kept in the ECU). Has seen track time by previous owners. Decent driver grade car (maybe a 2.5 on a 4 scale). Strong driving car....

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    But you are comparing it to your WAY more expensive cars. With a pulley, tune, exhaust, and suspension upgrades the car can hold it's own against almost everything....THEN you can go whipple and/or turbo and get a Texas Mile type stud.

Thecadster likes this.
  22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Depending on your definition of where the market would need to come back to, it may happen. The sub-$200k era is over, but I think a driver grade car with 30k+ miles and a few needs or a story or two at $250k might happen some day.

23. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I dunno Shark. At current price points ($350ish), tons of cars will crush even a souped up GT. I am talking 0-124mph, because at 0-60mph the delta narrows for all cars. Here’s a quick, short list: 488, F12, 812, all Huracan variants, GT2 RS, and basically all the regular McLaren’s (excepting the 765LT which is outside the price point). Each of those cars, bring with them a more modern 0-124mph capability than the GT, especially an unmodified GT. As you know, the GT is my favorite all time car, and the one I would part with last.

Shark01 likes this.
  24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    With basic mods and Bridgestone tires, I think it hangs close to most of these....win, maybe not but they are still not slow.

Thecadster likes this.
  25. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I have the Bridgestone’s, but not the mods. I had planned on doing the mods, but I love it just the way it is. I don’t know that the mods would take it from 11 seconds in the 0-124mph to sub-8 seconds like most of the cars I listed. The slowest on the list is the F12 at 8.8 seconds. Part of it is the manual gearbox versus super fast modern DCT’s. Once again, the GT is outstanding, and it’s super fun, and rewarding, to drive. The combination of manual gearbox, no nannies, and iconic look/feel is phenomenal, it’s a modern masterpiece. It just ain’t a dragster.

Shark01 likes this.