Fuel filter ('88 3.2) | FerrariChat

Fuel filter ('88 3.2)

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by decampos, Aug 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. decampos

decampos Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 11, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I bought a fuel filter from Superformance (308QVUSFSK) and it is different from the one I just wrestled from the car. The hole diameters are switched (bigger hole is at the top on the new one). I reached out to them and they said 'The filter supplied is correct, if the holes are large / small on the opposite side this would suggest it to be run in an “upside down” state'.

What do you guys think? In my limited experience, fuel filters have always been particular about what direction the fuel flows through them, so I'm a little wary of installing this apparently upside down.

Any help, much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Aug 6, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    Kind of bad form to not have a flow direction arrow on it like the Bosch. Any other markings on it besides that (I assume) "SGP"? Are the thread sizes the same sizes as the Bosch (the hex for the upper one of the SGP in your photo looks quite large)?

PS Next time buy the Bosch 0450905601 = Bosch USA 71039 from Rock Auto -- way cheaper (even at the regular price):

https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=0450905601

3. decampos

decampos Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 11, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Thanks for your reply, Steve. There are no other markings on it. The thread sizes are the same as the old one, they're just on the opposite ends.
    Thanks for the link. I've had good luck with Rock Auto in the past.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The liquid normally goes from the outside to the centre of a filter and then leaves the filter. Does that match what you have.

5. decampos

decampos Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 11, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. Could you explain a little more what you mean?

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It really depends how the filter is made , where the inlet and outlet are. Generally the filter element has a central core which is a metal tube with holes in it, the paper element is built around it. The fuel enters the filter element from the outside and passes to the centre through the filter material. Once it passes through the central tube it goes to the outlet. Look up disposable oil filter construction as lots pics to explain

7. decampos

decampos Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 11, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Does anyone know if it's possible when looking into each hole, which is the in and which is the out? I threw away the one I took off the car as I thought I had a straight replacement. Thanks.

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you can see down the length of most of the inside centre, that is the outlet. The fuel goes into the outside of the element and flows toward the centre. as that has the biggest area. Again look at filter construction on google

decampos likes this.
  9. decampos

decampos Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 11, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Thanks for your reply, Mike. With that info I can confirm that the Superformance fuel filter appears to be not the right filter for my '88 Mondial, despite being sold to me as the correct part and confirmed as such.

I bought the Bosch filter from Rock Auto (the one Steve linked to) and that arrived today, and that one does fit, which is not surprising as it's the same one as I took off. I'll reach out to Superformance, thanks for everyone's help.

10. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I bought the last one from Rock Auto yesterday. Paid less than $10.00.

I need to figure out what else I need to replace - fuel hose related.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Does the bosch one ink up with my flow explanation ?

12. decampos

decampos Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 11, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ben
    It does, yes.

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk