replacement wheels for 400i | Page 5 | FerrariChat

replacement wheels for 400i

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by stuarts, Mar 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Will that make them wear better or prevent flats ? :confused:
    I hear you and have same preferences, but it is and has been couple of decades nearly impossible to buy almost anything new for older/vintage vehicles "Made in USA". :mad:
    And this we thank consumers for choosing/voting with their wallets... :(

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Prevents a frown on my face.

TTR likes this.
  3. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I remeber the days when you occasionally had the words "made in England" written on things, but that doesn't happen any more

4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    My Nokian Hakkapeliittas on my Land Rover say "Made in Russia". My Goodyear MT/Rs on my summer Land Rover wheels say "Made in Germany" Maybe I'm just surprised a Made in Serbia phrase would cause a frown. Remember every plastic toy we had as a kid said "Made in Hong Kong"? Now that's something you certainly don't see anymore.

5. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Reviving this thread as I'm considering the 16" replacement wheels. Did this thread lead to any conclusive answers ? I have read through it but there is a few loose ends that I need answers on.

Lee,who had insight in what to get,is no longer active I think so no use sending him a PM. He talked about 245/50-16 with 3% smaller circumference and 245/55 as being equal to the 215/70-15. Neither is correct as first choice is 5% error and second is 1%. Equal tires would be 255/55-16 or 235/60-16.

Have any of you bought the 8x16 replicas and what size tires do you use ? What about the 1/2" spacer ? Was that only when using 7x16 in front or when using 8x16 ? Was it only for front axle or also rear ?

And then there is the tires. Neither of the equal sizes seems to be easy to find - in fact almost impossible. I agree with Lee that 225 and 235 might seem a bit "off" considering the bulky look of the TRX's. The TRX do look awesome on the 400. To replicate that look the car needs 245 or 255 - but again hopeless to find.

Please enlighten me :)

6. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I bought the Replica 16"x8" wheels from Superformance. I believe they are 328 rears. Superformance has no issue selling you four "rears". I had 12mm spacers made to my drawing; I can provide drawing but I think it is posted on this forum also. One thing I did not include in the spacer design is the extra small hole to hold the spacer in place when the wheel is not on; just one less hassle if I had done it. Tires: 235/60 -16 tires are within 1% of the rolling diameter of the TRX tires, so my odometer error is just as bad as it was before! This size tire is not available in a wide range of "performance" tires, but I had good success with Falken tires and I am currently changing to Goodyears; so called "GT Touring". Tires fit well on the car, in the wheel arches and they give a reasonable "period" look.
    Ken

7. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Thanks Ken. They are actually a replica of the 308QV rear wheels. Not a 100% correct copy but very nice indeed. Do you need the spacers to get the correct offset and look or to clear brake calipers or other ? Please send me some pictures of your car and wheels if you have a chance. Would be valuable to see how it looks with 235's

8. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
  9. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Thank you Ken. The 235's looks good. It has that bulky appearance which is a must on these cars. I'm not entirely sold on the replica wheels. They look good but they are painted in a shiny silver and also glossy clearcoat. The originals had a much softer silver and also mat finish clearcoat. If I order them they would have to be repainted.

10. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    When I'm ready, I'll just buy TRXes from Longstone.

Newman and Il Tifoso like this.
  11. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    I did 16x7 all the way around with the 225-60-16 in April of this year. You can see my results and story. I don't know how to do a link but search:
    A little 400i fun with 45915

12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
  13. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    Hi Everyone, just picked up a 1986 412, pictures and intro's to follow, but at the risk of making you all bang your head on the desk with my first post...

Can I just confirm that the Superformance 16 x 8 fit all 4 corners of the 412 without spacers...?

https://www.superformance.co.uk/308/wheels.html

Thanks,
    Rob.

14. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    No these di not fit: the 412 does have specific rims (more space for the ABS. Other Ferrari rims do fit though) .

This being said, I just bought new TRX tires for €380 (each), at this price it's a swaping the rims is not a big saving.

15. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    Bugger, I had it the wrong way round.

Does anyone know of a good source for the TRX? I'm in the US but expect I have to ship them from far far away...

Thanks.

16. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    Back the other way for a moment - the Superformance wheels will fit with a spacer, OK, but net/net does that push the tyre further out or is the shape of the rim itself different, so that the net effect of the wheel + spacer is that the tyre stays in the same place?

I have spacers on all 4 corners of my Maserati GT specifically for the purpose of pushing the wheels out: IMO the GT looks like it's up on its tiptoes a bit, and the spacers give the car a much broader, more planted, stance.

That's not what what I'm trying to achieve here at all.

17. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    They will fit a 400 but not a 412. Here are a few threads with alternatives rims (from Testarossa and 348) that fit the 412:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/412-wheel-options.310178/#post-140352559
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/412-rims.186313/#post-137491135
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/512-tr-8j-x-18-wheels-400-412-trx-upgrade.450374/#post-143174157

For "Ferrari looking" rims, you may try :

https://www.imagewheels.co.uk/f40-alloy-wheel/

You could also try to source some genuine 412 "non metric" rims (16*7.5), as these had been proposed on the latest 412. Sadly these are hard to come by (used to be $6k on Eurospares).

(Of all these options, I think the Testarossa rims are the best)

18. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    raemin likes this.
  19. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Longstone Tyres in the UK. Quick shipping too. They are a sponsor here.

20. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    Ordered from Longstone, shipped same day. Impressed!

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    What a brilliant idea! They're good enough for a boxer so they're good enough for my 400i and the set I just put on mine not only look right, they ride great and I'm good until 2030.

bjwhite likes this.
  22. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Ak Jim likes this.
  23. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Personally I like the look of the TRX thread. And they are available. Why buy wheels ? You won't save.

24. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    The TRX tread is good even though it looks like a snow tire. They got me home once in 2" of snow! Apparently Michelin has upgraded the compound since the '70's. If you drive a lot the wear rate is not bad, somewhat better than the alternates I have been using.
    As for saving money, I think you are wrong. I switched to 16" repro wheels and conventional tires. I only pay about $140/tire and I drive a lot, 3-6K miles per year.
    Ken

25. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    I'm running TRX from BMW 635M-series in size 240x45x415. They are a little lower profile but wider and with a more modern design. They do fit the original TRX rims.

Image Unavailable, Please Login