Speciale Sound Crisis | Page 17 | FerrariChat

Speciale Sound Crisis

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by clar, Oct 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Hi Rick!

Fyi the mufflers only limitedly affect the sound when the valves are open
    because the exhaust gases largely bypass them then.

I have the oem sports mufflers on my Italia and she is as loud as a
    Speciale with a straight pipe F.I. exhaust, if not more, granted not the Ultimate Race
    version..

Just my .02

PS If you want a real performance upgrade go with full bucket seats, totally
    changes the car, my Italia is going airborne since I put the on the challenge diet LOL

2. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hi Carlo,

Good to hear from you. Are you back home now? Feels good to be home I bet :)

It's always been a little hard to understand how changing the OEM back box (mufflers) to something like Novitec, Frequency Intelligence, etc. could make much of a difference given that once the exhaust valves open you largely bypass the mufflers anyway, right? I asked James at Vivid Racing about this, and this is what he told me:

"Even though you bypass the muffler once the valves open, there's still sound deadening and insulation in there that can inhibit sound a bit."

Bit when I hear a Ferrari that has an after market back box (Novitec, etc.) it seems to make a significantly different/better/louder exhaust sound.

On a side note. Talk about ways to increase performance, I found one. Buy a home up in the mountains (say 7,000 feet) and drive your Ferrari up there for a few months. Then go back to LA and drive your Ferrari. BAM! An extra 100+ HP for free.

Maybe this is common knowledge, but do wind instruments behave or sound differently if an orchestra plays at high altitude venues? The lower air pressure at 7,000 feet sure has a big impact on NA engines.

3. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Ciao! Yes back home but super busy preparing for my performance this month, will
    send you concert info!

Hmm not sure if it's worth spending the $ for some aftermarket mufflers, aside from
    the weight savings, I would def. look into putting 100 cell cats, that will most likely
    increase the sound, might give it a try myself in the future ;)

Interesting about ww's playing at high altitude, I reckon it might affect tuning
    a bit if anything so the player has to adjust the reed accordingly.

xoxoxo

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I drove that car. Again, it's best yet I've heard in person. Not Italia sounding.

5. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo