Carb Rebuild Question | FerrariChat

Carb Rebuild Question

Discussion in '308/328' started by gte619n, Aug 13, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    Hey guys,

I was able to get all the carbs off the car, disassembled, and soaking in the cleaner. I was going through the parts in my Pierce Rebuild Kits and had a question about the gaskets that are in there. The rebuild kits appear to have two top hat gaskets, then a bottom gasket to seal to the intake.

I had two questions:
    1. Why are there two top hat gaskets? Does it need a double gasket for some reason?
    2. The carb-to-intake gasket that was on the car is made out of thick fiber:

The new gasket looks like a regular paper gasket. Should I keep the original gasket or use the replacement paper gasket?

Thanks guys!!

E

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Are the two "top hat" gaskets identical? 40DCNF come in two different styles -- a 4-bolt top cover and a 5-bolt top cover (as used on 308). Maybe Pierce is supplying both in their 40DCNF kit.

Ferrari uses a thermal insulator (gasket+spacer+gasket assembly) between the intake manifold and the carb base -- which is a better thing than a simple paper gasket. They won't be cheap, but they are the "right" item.

3. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    Ah! Good point. I will double-check the top gaskets. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

On the carb-to-manifold interface, can I reuse the current spacer? If so, should I use the paper gasket as well? Maybe got intake>spacer>gasket>carb?

Thank you!

E

4. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Aug 13, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    I wouldn't -- the spacer should have fresh paper gaskets on each side. One time, I did strip the old paper gaskets off the spacer, cut new gaskets, and reglued them onto the spacer, but it was way more work/time than it was worth IMO. You're already investing a lot of time and effort (the SuperformanceUK price isn't too crazy) -- or spend the extra time/effort to rebuild them ;).

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wasn’t the carb to intake spacer is made of phenolic?

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That would be my guess, too, for the original material (but don't know if it has been changed to a more modern material).

miketuason likes this.
  7. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    Alright, boys!! She's alive!! I have the carbs back on, linkage set up, the fuel leaks addressed and we are running!!

Now I'm not saying that it's running well at all. She's idling way way too high, lots of backfiring through the carbs, etc etc etc... but for just firing on there and cranking big success!! I'm excited to get these babies tuned up and the car back on the road.

For my notes, I'm currently running 55 idle jets, 135 AC, and 200 mains. Just getting the accelerator pumps working right is going to be so great!! Thank you everyone for all the tips!

absostone likes this.
  8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    200 mains? arent stock 135 or 140?

9. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    Whoops sorry... 55 idle, 135 mains, and 200 ACs.

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Ah ha! Could of installed a moen faucet at 200 jets. Idk. Lol