What happened to the suppposed 25 versions of the 512S produced ? | Page 53 | FerrariChat

What happened to the suppposed 25 versions of the 512S produced ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Kds, Jan 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    It would appear that indeed the slides stuck open…..

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    p gio, BJK, turbo-joe and 1 other person like this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    bet wishes to carlos monteverde
    at the car also there is not so much damaged as I see it

4. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Wow, that is a very ugly crash, scary!

5. p gio

p gio Karting

Jan 30, 2020
    Laguna Beach, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Giorgio
  6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    AtSomePoint likes this.
  8. Jimincov

Jimincov Karting

Jun 9, 2012
    Milton Keynes uk
    Full Name:
    James Woolley
    yes - out of hospital recovering at home.

Marcel Massini likes this.
  9. Aussiefab

Aussiefab Rookie

Aug 28, 2021
    Mount Barker, South Australia
    Full Name:
    Keith Burgan
    I am a little late to the party having recently tripped over this thread while searching for something else. I have some history with 512’s having worked for John Hajduk in the early 1990’s. I have recently moved back to Australia and once i can access the material i will post photos of some of the work that i did at that time.

Keith Burgan

p gio, miurasv, 375+ and 4 others like this.
  10. Jimincov

Jimincov Karting

Jun 9, 2012
    Milton Keynes uk
    Full Name:
    James Woolley
    that would be great Keith welcome to the thread - lots of 512 fanatics here!

of2worlds likes this.
  11. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Hi Keith,
    Did you also have a Kiwi mechanic in your crew at that time? I remember speaking to someone and I'm pretty sure it was you (unless you had a New Zealander there at the same time).
    I came in one June to pick up Tom Mittler's Lesovsky Indy roadster for a concours in Cincinnati. John Sr. graciously took me around and showed me a lot- including the 512 project(s) you guys had going at the time. After that I met and had a nice conversation with (probably) you before I left with the car. In the conversation the subject of McLarens came up and that's why I can't say definitively whether it was you or a ghost Kiwi wrench. :p
    At any rate, welcome to Fchat and this discussion and I for one will be interested to see and hear what you have to share.
    Cheers,
    Dave

of2worlds and 375+ like this.
  12. Aussiefab

Aussiefab Rookie

Aug 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Keith Burgan
    If it was when the Mittler roadster was finished it would have been me as I did quite a bit of the final fab work on that project. I did most of the work on the Dyson 512 project starting with the frames that were basically done when I started at Hajduk's shop in late 1990. I also built the Benton Bryan 512M clone, reskinned the Donner 512F that went to Hollfelder later in its life, did the chassis/body restoration on #1014 for Sheehan/Orbrist and built a 312 PB clone for one of Bob Wallace's customers. I later went back to Hajduk's shop and did some additional work on the real 312 PB and the clone when they were sold. At that time John Hajduk Jr was working on the Glickenhaus 330's and both the coupe and the spyder were at the shop.

375+, of2worlds and readplays like this.
  13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #1314 miurasv, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    They were actually the 412P #0850, the coupe, which has a 330 4 litre size engine, and Piper P4 Spyder Replica #DP003 which does not have a 330 engine, but a 3 litre 312F1 engine.

readplays likes this.
  14. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #1315 miurasv, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    My apologies, I meant to say above the 412P was chassis #0854, not #0850. The 20 minute edit time limit on this site is way too short.

of2worlds and readplays like this.
  15. Aussiefab

Aussiefab Rookie

Aug 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Keith Burgan
    Thanks for the clarification Steve.

miurasv likes this.
  16. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Then it was definitely you mate. On a side note, I was able to do about 200 hours helping re-assemble one of the other 312 PB's about a year before that. Small world. Back to the topic at hand... I have been around this website long enough to know I can speak for many others when I say we would love to hear about any of the Fcar projects you just mentioned. Whether it's the 512's, or any of the other respective cars in an existing thread or any of your own that you would like to start. You've come to the right place, Keith. Thanks for the great reply and look forward to hearing more about your experiences.

375+ and of2worlds like this.
  17. Aussiefab

Aussiefab Rookie

Aug 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Keith Burgan
    I finally managed to find my hard drive and get it hooked up so here are some photos of the Pete (not Rob) Dyson 512 projects at John Hajduk's Motorkraft Stables shop. When I started at Hajduk's the basic frames (less the side sponsons) had been constructed. Chassis #1014 (Walter Medlin) was used to make the fixtures as it had been used by Marauder Cars to create their 512 kit and was stripped down for that process. The late Gordon Barrett had started on the sheet metal in the cockpit but only a few panels were there in semi complete form. Over the next four years I finished off the sheet metal, mounted the body panels, made the suspension arms, headers, oil tanks etc to the point seen in the last photos. During that same time I built Benton Bryan's Daytona powered clone, cloned a 312 PB and did the sheet metal restoration on the Donner (now Hollfelder) 512F. I also made front control arms for most of the 512's racing in the US and made the front cooler ducting for Giordano's 512S and that was an interesting story. Hajduk had flown to West Palm for a vintage race ,mainly to have a close look at Giordano's car. One of the points of interest was the ducting for the coolers that ran up either side of the frame past the spare wheel. Giordano's wife basically ran Hajduk off and the nose never came off the car in his presence. Down the road a little when the Prancing Horse series on the build showed the ducting that I had created using the available photographs for reference Hajduk got a call from Giordano asking him to make a set for his car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Keith Burgan

BJK, franmort, 375+ and 11 others like this.
  18. Jimincov

Jimincov Karting

Jun 9, 2012
    Milton Keynes uk
    Full Name:
    James Woolley
    brilliant post! would love to see more if you have any... do you know if Motorkraft still have any tooling for these parts? I see John Hajduks son took the business over....

19. Aussiefab

Aussiefab Rookie

Aug 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Keith Burgan
    We had the components for the suspension (the unique ball joint pieces and sockets) made outside and the guy who did them is no longer with us. I am guessing that the table and fixtures for the frames may still be around. I have not talked to Larry in about 18 months having moved back to Australia just on a year ago. I will post some more photos later--I have some of the Benton Bryan build and also just a few of the 512F--I did the reskin in 14 days so I was a little too busy to take many photos. I also have quite a few of the 312 PB clone build. Here are a couple of teasers.

KB
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Aussiefab

Aussiefab Rookie

Aug 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Keith Burgan
    #1321 Aussiefab, Sep 9, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Here are the photos of the Benton Bryan 512 clone. When the car was advertised for sale it was stated that the frame was an exact copy of a 512 but that is incorrect as the upper tubes in the engine bay are lower to clear the headers on the Daytona engine configuration. The engine bay rear crossmember is also different because of the engine and the Hewland gearbox. Incidentally the ad also stated that the car has a "bulletproof Hewland gearbox". Maybe not as the box is just a DG 300 as used in F 5000. ;) The ad states that the steering rack and brake calipers are uprated and are from an Indy car. It is actually a Schroder unit that is period correct for a 70's Indy car. A correct rack was available during the build as Hajduk had three units cast and then machined by Jack Knight in the UK using an original rack for reference but the Bryan's did not want to spend the $.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

BJK, franmort, colombo2cam and 8 others like this.
  21. Jimincov

Jimincov Karting

Jun 9, 2012
    Milton Keynes uk
    Full Name:
    James Woolley
    great stuff thanks! Ive seen the daytona engined car race in the uk a couple of times not so long ago. looks like the fuel tanks are fabricated too. can you remember if that shifter in the daytona engined car is 512 spec or from something else? please keep them coming if you have more Im very interested.

22. Aussiefab

Aussiefab Rookie

Aug 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Keith Burgan
    The fuel tanks were made for the car from drawings that I created for Fuel Safe. They are modern style construction but with the access port and inlets in the same location as the originals however they do not have the cross over tube as per the original 512. The two cars that we built for Pete Dyson had original Firestone fuel bladders that came as part of the parts package. If you go back to the photos that I posted of the Dyson 512M you can see the side windows in the last shot. These too were original 1970's parts and IIRC we got around half a dozen sets in the package.
    As for the shifter it was not a genuine 512 piece as we only had two of them and they went into the Dyson cars.

colombo2cam and Jimincov like this.
  23. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  24. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil