Ordering a new 812 GTS | FerrariChat

Ordering a new 812 GTS

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by NA_V12, Aug 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NA_V12

NA_V12 Rookie

Aug 1, 2021
    FL, USA
    Hi all,

I'm new to the brand (manual GT3 guy here) and I am interested in getting a 812 GTS (SF is amazing too, but open-air NA V12 driving experience would be like heaven on earth).
    I'm located in the US. I cold-called a local dealership and was told I have to buy and sell a Roma after a number of months of ownership to have a shot at a 812 GTS. Did not seem realistic since GTS would be out of production at the end of next year (correct me if I'm wrong please).
    Called another dealership where a friend has done business and was told that I could put down a deposit and may have a >50/50 chance of getting a GTS. Maybe.
    Is this consistent with your experience? Is there a place you good people recommend?

Thank you in advance.

2. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    That sounds really odd.
    First, GTS vs SF is a no brainer as SF is not available anymore.
    Second, this is definitely a dealer playing dealer games. GTS can still be ordered, and in France at least, you can just walk in and place your order. No ******** Roma buying nonsense. Maybe there are too few allocations left for the US? That seems odd as it's probably the first market for the GTS...

F2003-GA and NA_V12 like this.
  3. Dubaicity

Dubaicity Karting

Nov 21, 2013
    Germany
    In Germany you can still order a GTS without buying a Roma - I guess they are producing more units of 812 GTS than initially planned.
    After telling me last year GTS are sold out my dealer called me a month ago asking if I´m interested because they are getting extra units.

F2003-GA likes this.
  4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You can still order a GTS.

Marcel Massini

F2003-GA, Quick1 and Thecadster like this.
  5. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    It's definitely dealer specific, so I would call around at least a few more to see what they can do. You may be able to get a GTS that is in/near production where the owner has pulled out (but you'd need to accept their spec, of course).

The Roma thing sounds like BS to me, but unsurprisingly the dealer will be more helpful to you if you bring them extra business. Depending on how badly you want the GTS, consider buying one of the used stock from a particular dealer, if it means a GTS allocation. Maybe a nice 458 speciale as a sister for the GTS? :) Other little things can also make a difference - offering to order LOTS of options on your GTS, and/or agreeing to finance it via the dealership, etc.

I have a GTS (just under a year and >6k miles). It is awesome and you'll love it if you can get one!

F2003-GA likes this.
  6. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Each dealer in the US got an allocation which is at or near fully subscribed. Call around and ask. The dealer with the 50-50 chance is telling you as it is-Ferrari plans to produce only so many(and plans can change) so you have a shot at it- the deposit is refundable if there is no car

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

RamsHmb and Gh21631 like this.
  7. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Newjoint: was told the same thing. If you read Ferrari’s second quarter release they talked a lot about ORDERS. They did open up the allocations for the GTS. The $64k question how many?My dealer said 50/50 chance.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

RamsHmb likes this.
  8. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    So Marcel what his your best estimate of production for the GTS? I have mine and love it, but would be nice to know. Too many issues with production numbers since they went public. Thanks.

9. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    In the US it is not that easy to get an 812 GTS allocation. The window closed a while ago, now dealerships are taking deposits in case of cancellations. I have made multiple attempts to buy a second GTS it is not happening.

10. NA_V12

NA_V12 Rookie

Aug 1, 2021
    FL, USA
    Thank you all for the replies. I put a deposit down and decided to give it a shot. I really hope I get it. I can't wait. If I don't get to spec a new one, I will have to wait for one in the used market.
    Are we still thinking that 812GTS will be the last NA V12 convertible for the "masses"?

11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    There seems to be little doubt. Maybe just a tiny bit, but...

Currently there is no successor to the 812 series, rumor is maybe a reveal at end of 2023, but, Euro7 finalizes late this year, so, we'll see what comes of that reveal, factory (Leiters) directly indicates a new V12 is being made, but, will it be for the masses, will it be hyper car only, will it be hybrid, will it be FUV only, etc...again, there is no current successor to the 812 series, that's never occurred before, where the next V12 is completely unknown when the previous V12 is gone (812SF coupe is gone, and in a year or so the 812GTS will be out of production)

12. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    To add to the general sense of uncertainty… I received a phone call that I could now send in a final spec for my new 2021 G63 AMG. However, the dealership told me that the final price of the car would be $50K over msrp. Apparently all dealerships where notified on Saturday that no G wagons would be made for the 2022 year and the next build slot is 2023… which, wait for it, might not be the current V8.

ryalex and Thecadster like this.
  13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    As I mentioned before Mercedes Benz now forces clients to downsize from V8 to V4 with some hybrid b.s..
    How to destroy your own customer base......... MB is absolutely stupid.

Marcel Massini

14. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Is it possible FNA think one is enough and would rather two folk each enjoyed one than one person has two ?

Avia11 likes this.
  15. BLUESL

BLUESL Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    London
    I have an 812 GTS on order and I was lucky to get one, pretty much sold out in the UK it seems. The factory will be switching to building the Competizione - all sold - after which who knows? Ferrari is moving from V8 turbo/N-A V12 to hybrid V6 and V8, I can’t see there being a V12 for the masses. They must have a lot on their to-do list.

Avia11 likes this.
  16. NA_V12

NA_V12 Rookie

Aug 1, 2021
    FL, USA
    So the consensus is: 1) yes 812GTS is the last NA V12 for the masses (especially for a convertible) and 2) it is hard to get an allocation in the US and the UK.
    But in Germany and France, you can just walk into a dealership and get one?
    I wonder if there are folks from Australia/NZ or Asia who can comment?
    Does Ferrari HQ monitor the demand from each country and adjust supply to each market accordingly?

17. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    The MB situation is quite extreme...and bizarre. If MB is having such difficulty supplying one of their (or THE) biggest market for them you have to wonder how long before production cuts hit "smaller" manufacturers like Ferrari/Lamborghini and even Porsche.

Mercedes-Benz Cancels Almost Every V8 Model For 2022 | The Drive

Thecadster, Avia11 and Marcel Massini like this.
  18. wb200

wb200 Rookie

Dec 26, 2013
    Tokyo
    I placed an 812 GTS order in Japan in June. Was told that order books are still open but expected to close in coming months.

19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #19 Marcel Massini, Aug 17, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    As said so many times before already Mercedes Benz is attempting/trying to educate (re-educate?) and instruct their longtime clients to downsize from V8 to V4 etc.
    The most stupid thing MB boss Ola Kallenius can do to their loyal clients. How to destroy your own market and ruin your brand. Complete idiots. It has only very little to do with the supply chain issues. I say this as a very loyal AMG V8 client.

Marcel Massini

Gh21631, F2003-GA, JTSE30 and 3 others like this.
  20. NA_V12

NA_V12 Rookie

Aug 1, 2021
    FL, USA
    Were you given an allocation because you've purchased vehicles from there before or was this your first purchase from that dealership?

21. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    My dealer definitely said they can't guarantee a car with a deposit at this point, they are basically sold out. I could have got one earlier but am really happy sticking with the normal SF.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  22. wb200

wb200 Rookie

Dec 26, 2013
    Tokyo
    While I had purchased multiple new cars from that dealership before, I was told it is not a necessary condition. My guess is that you could buy an 812 GTS as a new client, provided you were introduced to the dealership by another existing client.

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Call a few more dealers. Allocations may be hard to come by, but there is no rule that states you have to buy a Roma. In any case, don't use the dealer that told you the Roma sftory for anything. They are playing games and will use another opportunity to take advantage of you.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Gh21631 and NA_V12 like this.
  24. NA_V12

NA_V12 Rookie

Aug 1, 2021
    FL, USA
    Update:
    Apparently US dealers were told that deposits before the end of the year will be built.
    So..guess I'm getting one as a new customer.
    Have others heard something similar too?
    Now, if only I could find a way to get the high pitch F1 sound back from those pre-GPF days..

jamiew, Thecadster and plastique999 like this.
  25. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    Have you driven a GTS? I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the exhaust note if you have.