Washing 458 | FerrariChat

Washing 458

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by KZEVO, Aug 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KZEVO

KZEVO Karting

Jul 25, 2021
    Hi folks, i have searched quite a bit but have not had luck. Apologies in advance in case i missed it. Reading thru the forums I’ve read a couple things that a) the paint is soft and b) sticky button issue.

As it will be my first F car, i wanted to ask if there are any things to avoid or be mindful off.

Regarding the exterior, I always hand wash my cars using adams products (2 bucket method using foam cannon and power wash). Wanted to understand if its okay to directly use the pressure washer to spray the exterior or should i avoid using a pressure washer?

For the interior, can i use interior cleaner to wipe down the buttons or should i avoid using any chemicals on the buttons?
    Thank you!

2. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Just like any other car.

Your methods are more meticulous then most, certainly mine.

3. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Personally, I would not use a pressure washer, just an opinion. If there is PPF, the pressure might cause the PPF to lift, emphasis on "might." Hand wash only.

Sticky buttons seem to manifest from exposure to hot climates. I don't think standard interior cleaning products would harm the buttons UNLESS they contain some sort of solvent. Something I would avoid.

4. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I use a water cannon with a neutral soap. A Micro mitt soaked in a bucket with a neutral soap. Air dry with the Master Blaster. Windows with the Ultimate Cloth,

5. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I personally do not use a power washer on any car that I care about, but that is just me. They are too risky in numerous ways to be worth it, IMHO.

Your two-bucket wash method w/foam cannon is sound. Start by foaming the entire car, letting it sit for a couple minutes and then rinsing to remove the big dirt before even touching the car with your wash mitt. Assuming you are using a high quality wash mitt/towel, the only thing that can scratch your paint is the dirt particles (which are typically much harder than the car's paint). Therefore, the more dirt you can remove by foaming (the soap will help break the bond the dirt has with the paint and loosen the dirt to then be rinsed away) and rinsing, before you even touch the car, the lower the chances of marring the paint.

The sticky button issue is a real pain if you live in a hot climate. I now avoid using any cleaners on the areas prone to the sticky issue, choosing to only carefully clean when necessary with a soft microfiber cloth and distilled water. I think all of the cleaners/conditioners that I have tried only made the sticky issue worse. However, I still have issues sometimes even using this careful method.

6. KZEVO

KZEVO Karting

Jul 25, 2021
    Thank you all for your responses. Will just use the foam cannon and rinse the soap with a spray from a regular hose nozzle rather than the blast from a pressure washer. Also appreciate the advise on how to clean the buttons.