Change to the 296 GTB | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Change to the 296 GTB

Discussion in '296' started by MANDALAY, Jul 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Change to 296 GTB ?

1. YES FROM 458

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. YES FROM 488GTB

12 vote(s)
    9.0%
  3. YES FROM F8

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. WILL BUY HOWEVER NOT CHANGING FROM THE 3 MODELS ABOVE

22 vote(s)
    16.4%
  5. ADDING NOT CHANGING

37 vote(s)
    27.6%
  6. MISS ON THE 296 GTB

51 vote(s)
    38.1%
  1. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    While you may feel that way now, I'm pretty sure the same feeling were expressed over beers in a garage back in the 50s/60s about carburetors vs. fuel injection. Same goes for turbos, canbus, non-single/double DIN radios, hybrids, electric cars, etc.

One thing that ultimately makes the auto enthusiast and tuner market thrive is the fact that governments ultimately require car manufacturers to make service manuals available for purchase (albiet for ridiculous costs sometimes) to the public, and perhaps more importantly, service parts to be available for purchase 5-7+ years after the last model years warranty year is up. It's pretty extensive and therefore stimulates a healthy aftermarket for vehicles that stick or have a cult following.

While it may be cost prohibitive right now (and not even fathomable that you would buy a replacement hybrid battery unit down the road), the average cost of components like batteries is going down. I suspect you are right that certain aspects of the 296 or the SF90 may not age well, it will be hard to predict which supercars/exotic cars will hold value in an era where every manufacturing is going to digital screens. For example, the LaFerrari seems to be doing fine despite the fact that it's display is technology from nearly a decade ago.

2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I see your point but with all the items you mentioned in your first paragraph they all can be remade. If a hybrid Ferrari owner gets told that the battery is dead and out of warrantee ( They might not even extend that as it will be classified as a consumable ) what happens next. Looking forward to see what a SF90 battery costs.

Ferrari is not like Toyota where I can by parts for any car even if its 35 years old. The evolution of the battery will continue and ill boldly state that with every new model there will be a new battery 100% for sure.

3. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The big battery on the LaFerrari is what, 150k? That scares me.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    IMO, there will always be a certain percentage of people who will never want a hybrid under any circumstances, and full electric even more so. There may be people in some Euro cities where electric is required but in America, its going to be all about performance.

Cost, complexity, long term reliability, obsolete technology in the future -- all add to some doubt in some potential customer's minds.

5. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    doesn't matter, if you've bought it at retail then it's appreciated well beyond a few replacement batteries (even though the La was expensive new at £1.1m vs £450k for the Enzo)

6. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I mean for how expensive it can be for the 296. I don't feel bad for the LaF owners :)

7. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    good point! not sure why I didn't interpret your post in this way originally

8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

MORE

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Looking at where the battery is

A) LOCATED
    b) ALL THE COOLING LINES

I would say the cost of only the change would be more than an engine out service > $ 20,000 Then add the battery.

Yet to see if the battery is added to the extra power warrantee ? Its a consumable so i would guess it wont . Even for a 296 expect well over $80,000 for a change. Pretty stiff

10. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    at some point they are going to have to add the battery to the warranty, esp when ferraris become all electric!

11. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006

Second disposable car with the SF 90 of this new brand which has become Ferrari.
    Which buyer in the used market will want to shoulder the cost of replacing the batteries, plus other issues?
    No one ! There is no second-hand market for this type of car.

BLUESL and MANDALAY like this.
  12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Really ? I doubt it . Look what Tesla has done

Because Teslas are not gas-fueled vehicles, there is no need for standard powertrain coverage. Instead, Tesla offers a battery-specific warranty. While Tesla used to provide an unlimited-mile warranty for its batteries, the manufacturer updated its term limits for 2020 and newer models. These are the current limits for the Battery and Drive Unit Tesla Warranty:

• Model S and Model X: 8 years or 150,000 miles
    • Model 3 and Model Y Standard Range or Standard Range Plus: 8 years or 100,000 miles
    • Model 3 and Model Y Long Range or Performance: 8 years or 120,000 miles
    In 2020, Tesla also announced that its battery warranty would cover battery deterioration and capacity retention. During the warranty period, Tesla batteries are guaranteed to work at a minimum 70% capacity. If they dip below these levels, the repairs or replacements are covered.

Once were unlimited-mile warranty for its batteries no not and frankly if i lost 30% capacity i would be pissed off.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  13. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    makes more sense to rent these cars over a shorter period then considering how worthless they'll be at 8 years old!

JTSE30 likes this.
  14. BLUESL

BLUESL Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    London
    I was at the launch of the 296 just 3 days after picking up my F8 Spider and I didn’t feel at all that I should have waited or indeed excited about this future direction. So I have ordered an 812 GTS which will join my F8 and two others in my garage and I’m getting off the “have to have the latest” train. I’m just going to enjoy what I have.

JTSE30, TR007, Astrid.Didier and 5 others like this.
  15. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    fair enough, there's plenty of people who weren't interested in the sf90/296 and such future cars.

ferrari has an incredible back catalog to work through though!

BLUESL likes this.
  16. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    Is it a joke? or I got it wrong?

17. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    There was no negative remarks regarding the F8!!!!!!!

18. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hah, guess you didn’t spend much time in the 458/488/F8 section when the car was first released …lol

DeSoto and LVP488 like this.
  19. VladimirB

VladimirB Rookie

May 16, 2016
    Moscow, Russia
    Interesting how the usual Porsche vs Ferrari battle will develop over time in this electric or hybrid-electric space

With the Porsche’s 15-year extended warranty option covering the drivetrain battery

If the 992.2/99X Turbo S will be a mild hybrid with 750 hp, these will be interesting times for the prospective owners

Napoli and Slicknick like this.
  20. jcaferrari

jcaferrari Rookie

Nov 19, 2016
    Full Name:
    JohnAbbott
    On the 296 GTB does anyone know the width, including mirrors, with the mirrors folded in? Seems the mirrors increase the width significantly??

21. PeterMac

PeterMac Rookie

Feb 28, 2021
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Peter MacDonald
    Have been told price in Australia for a reasonably specced version will be similar to 812 GTS - very difficult for me to consider a V6, albeit a 800HP V6 Hybrid, can command V12 812GTS level of coin. But I will wait to see and drive it before passing personal judgement

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No. Ordering F8 Spider and the SF90 is inbound. Why bother.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The 765 will blow it out of the water.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019