458 - Corrosion on the engine lid? | FerrariChat

458 Corrosion on the engine lid?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ekosan, Aug 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ekosan

ekosan Karting

Apr 25, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    ekosan
    I saw this on my '15 Speciale earlier this year and was super bummed. Is this corrosion? I have heard about early 458s having corrosion in the wheel wells and I guess I could understand if something was kicked up and chipped the paint to raw metal, but this is the underside of the engine cover that has had no damage. I'm guessing Ferrari doesn't have the same type of corrosion warranty that BMW has. What do you do? This panel has the NART stripe...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Hard to tell from just a picture... Is that rust that is progressing under the paint, or just a poorly finished piece that's been that way since new? Is that a steel piece or aluminum?

3. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    I have a Speciale, will check mine to see if this is common but I think I would have noticed it already. Do you live in a wet climate and drive in the rain often?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ekosan

ekosan Karting

Apr 25, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    ekosan
    Sadly, I'm the...third owner, so not sure how well the previous owners took care of it.

5. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I'd get to work on that ASAP.

6. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    Ouch, doesn’t look good…

7. evo3

evo3 Karting

Apr 21, 2011
    Switzerland
    Is this not still covered by Ferrari warranty as the car is only 6 year old ?

8. ekosan

ekosan Karting

Apr 25, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    ekosan
    Unfortunately, no.

9. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I've read about Ferrari's famous 7-year warranty. Countless YouTuber's tout the amazing 7-year warranty. As an owner, all I am aware of is free oil changes for seven years. If I can exchange my oil changes for a warranty that corrects corrosion, please let me know how to do so. :)

10. Akajak1

Akajak1 Karting

Jun 24, 2020
    UK
  11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    7 year is a maintenance program not a warranty which is 3 year, unlimited mileage.

12. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Yes that is corrosion. Your color should be an easy blend & fix. Find a good body shop familiar with working with al.. Most Al. problems have to do with electrolysis & poor prep. Should be an easy fix.