Pics from the Concorso Italiano (Monterey, CA) | FerrariChat

Pics from the Concorso Italiano (Monterey, CA)

Discussion in '308/328' started by miketuason, Aug 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    It was good to see all of you, it's been a while since all of us got together!

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Envious this morning! Looks like a terrific way to spend the day. :)

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  3. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Hate to pile on Kim but just encountered this special “cousin” and its owner on a 17 Mile Drive in Pebble Beach with my son. Having a photoshoot done. Very nice guy, and complimentary of our 308. Took the pic of us with our car. Saw the three seater several times last week but this intimate, personal moment will be long remembered.

https://www.autoclassmagazine.com/web/ferrari-365-p-berlinetta-speciale-the-three-seater-that-gave-birth-to-the-dino/

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

BJK, mcimino, ggjjr and 11 others like this.
  4. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Wow, that 365 P is fascinating. One of only two produced. It figures that it would take an event like this to see one. Do we know the whereabouts of the other example?

I once had a chance encounter on the road with an Oscar Meyer Wiener Mobile, but there are six of those.

5. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
  6. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim

That is a truly special encounter. My second favorite Ferrari behind the 85 288 GTO. Wow!
    That is a terrific father/son photo with the red machine! :) dang, this is when living in Montana really blows!

7. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
  8. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
  9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Here is a picture of Mark ("Thomas Magnum") rolling onto the awards stage with his newly restored 1985 Euro.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

He is clearly "livin' the dream" this year. Good stuff.

ragtop1, mcimino, Du_Man and 9 others like this.
  10. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thank you Brian.

GordonC likes this.
  11. SSA

SSA Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Cambria, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Allen
    In case you didn't catch it, the white 365 P Berlinetta Speciale was one of the four finalists for Best-of-Show at yesterday's Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. This car also appears in some of the Ferrari books such as Fitzgerald & Merritt's "Ferrari, The Sports and Gran Turismo Cars" and Leonardo Fioravanti's autobiography "Il Cavallino Nel Ciore". It was reported that the first car was built for the 1966 Paris Salon and a second car was built for Avvocato Gianni Agnelli which include a spoiler between the rear wings.

308 milano and Thomas Magnum like this.
  12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ha!

I noticed the Euro plate but at first I thought it was my identical USA version #22641 steel...
    Exact same colors!!

GordonC likes this.
  13. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I must be getting old, I remember seeing the 365 P Berlinetta Speciale a couple of times back in the early 1970's at Chinetti Motors, parked out in the line of cars along the road. It was spectacular then as it is now. It isn't a lost barn find, just closely held for almost all of it's life. It appeared on "Chasing Classic Cars" a couple of times, a large part of an episode chronicling it's preparation for auction when the Chinetti family decided to let it go. A small portion of the show is on CCC's facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/chasingclassiccars/?fref=mentions&__tn__=K-R

308 milano likes this.
  14. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Wow love it!!!

15. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I thought it might be your old car too.

308 milano likes this.
  16. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I see at least four complete replicas at Concorso Italiana.
    Not good.

My 2 cents only.

Marcel Massini

sherpa23 likes this.
  17. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I understand your position but appreciate what it takes to build a tribute/kit/replica. They never replace the real deal but still provide a niche in the car hobby. Look at the success of Shelby Cobra replicas. Maybe it’s the ultimate compliment to an original? Of course Ferrari is hyper protective of its designs and brand, but you have to admit, there are a lot of “significant” Ferrari tributes out there that didn’t start out as true spiders, GTOs, or factory race cars. Still appreciated by most fans of the marque.

18. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Alright, we can easily start another replica discussion here........
    If I showed a real and genuine Ferrari at some concours and right next to me would be either a 288 GTO fake, a 250 GTO replica, a NART Spider replica or a California Spider replica or anything similar parked/shown I would go home with my genuine car immediately and never come back again. Nobody should support such shows.
    Other story: Imagine you, and your wife and two kids pay, say US$ 1'000, for four entry tickets (without travel, no hotel, no food, just entry tickets) for a classic car weekend such as Goodwood etc and then you realize that most of the cars raced there are replicas and not the real deal, wouldn't you be pis.ed off? I would! It's about integrity and being honest or not.
    All over the planet I have met dozens of replica owners in the past 45 years and very very very very few are really honest and willing to admit that their car is fake and not real. That is where the main problem is. One can hear the wildest and craziest stories. People are deceiving themselfs. It's a real shame.
    And on top of that, using a genuine Ferrari as donor car for some normally horrible replica means that the real and genuine cars are becoming rarer and rarer (think 250 GTEs, 250 GT PF Coupés, Boanos and Ellenas, and the like).
    I could easily go on and on for hours.
    Plenty of such discussions in the separate section about replicas.

As said before, that is just me and my 2 cents here.

Marcel Massini

19. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    As much I love attending Concorso Italiano every year, I was kinda shocked and surprised only to see just one F40 and one 288GTO to represent the super car class at the show this year.. In pasted years, the show was three time bigger with huge turnout of both classic and newer Ferrari's up until 2017 and IMO, the show had slowly decided in both attendance, cars and vendors... Its extreamly sad to see a popular show "circling the drain"...

20. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Other marques, such as Alfa or Pantera, still seemed well represented. There were quite a few 330 GTCs which was cool to see.

I often wonder about the impact of local Cars & Coffee events on major annual events like CI. Both Cars and Coffee and Concorso Italiano are primarily social events so maybe the advent of Cars and Coffee has sucked some of the energy out of Concorso Italiano. Concorso Italiano is a major Ferrari Club concours event and that may focus many Ferrari owners away from the broad social aspect and toward the dust on their cars. Most of the owners of really old Ferraris no longer care about getting their car judged: their cars have all now been fully restored and they don't need the advice of judges.