JAPANESE GP CANCELLED | FerrariChat

JAPANESE GP CANCELLED

Discussion in 'F1' started by 375+, Aug 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Who's next?

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    shocked if its not Austin.

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Brazil -- they say they wont cancel so far. Reality is now the COVID situation is as volatile as last year. I could see no fans at many remaining races being the norm or severely reduced. What else can be done except to cancel.

The issue will be quarantine in the UK for team members and its 'red list' countries.

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Surprised considering they just had the Olympics…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  5. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Why?
    current "peak" is already past, next one probably in 6 months based on the history:
    (in 2 months, F1 race weekend, will quite likely be in 'stage 3' or less)

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/0ad7fa50ba504e73be9945ec2a7841cb

Image Unavailable, Please Login

and, this recent peak is substantially less than prior:

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bas likes this.
  6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    [AMuS]

Since a few weeks, a second race in the USA has been mentioned as a replacement for the Japanese GP. Austin could manage to host two race weekends in a row. However the Covid-19 situation in Texas is becoming more serious…

Some in the paddock are bringing up Indianapolis as a venue for the second race in the USA. But with Turkey still on UK's red list and the required quarantine, there would probably not be enough time…

Qatar could become the replacement Grand Prix for the cancelled Australian GP. As of now, Saudi Arabia and Abu Dhabi are on UK's "amber" list. But a lot can change in the next few weeks. In one direction or the other. That's why everything is complicated.

375+ likes this.
  7. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    My friend who lives in Sao Paulo said that 90% of the adult population are already vaccinated with at least one dose and 30% with the second. Therefore, I don't see how the GP, that will be held only in November, will be cancelled on Covid grounds, unless the UK decides to mess up by requesting a quarantine for teams returning from Brazil.

8. DF1

Thats the real key. The UK rules. Wisdom was Japan was safe with the Olympics. Not really. Government is un-predictable.

9. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Did the UK government request a quarantine for those returning from Japan? Because their vaccination rate is way behind Brazil's.

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    As others said - its not really us, per se but UK - EU and FOM on how they want to handle their bubble requirements. if they are going to do a race in the USA - teams need to ship equipment in early September, which means that is one of the first things they will be doing after Spa

11. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    I've been to Indy twice in the last month. Love that place. Would be awesome if Japanese GP replacement race is at Indy!!

Nortonious and Bas like this.
  12. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    so bummed the japanese gp and just general travel to Japan is a no-go...my reservations have been rolled over 4 times now...

do vaccination rates even matter at this point? seems like though vaccinated folks are less likely to fall seriously ill or die, they can still just as easily be infected, carry and continue the spread of the virus onto others all the same?

why can't events/travel just carry on but just require negative covid tests prior to entry?

Bas likes this.
  13. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Does anyone really care?

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I do, it's a fantastic race track.

15. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Top five for sure with Spa and Monza and the like. It deserves it's "senior" status.

jgonzalesm6, william and 375+ like this.
  16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Add Silverstone to the list.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    One of the greatest tracks!

jgonzalesm6 and pilotoCS like this.
  18. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    It's of the best race tracks in the calendar.

Bas, jgonzalesm6 and pilotoCS like this.
  19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Considering that I do not "follow" F1 as much as I did before the advent of the "power units" in 2014 (I refuse to call this things "engines"), cancellation of a Grand Prix is not a matter that I care about, especially adding that I think there are too many of them in a season nowadays; 16 was the "right" number to me.

BUT cancelling that one is a really pity, as Suzuka is a marvellous, proper, race track. They can cancel any of those on any "Tilkedrome" and I wouldn't matter, but cancelling that one...and for the second year in a row!
    A pity.

Rgds

20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

21. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    But who really still cares about the actual race? All the cars on all the teams lack soul, they are one step away from being a spec series. The drivers are making fewer and fewer decisions, the races are controlled and won in the pits. And almost all the R&D comes from the simulators. I watch F1 today out of some perverse nostalgic memory of what F1 used to be. Sure, there are good tracks and great tracks and dogs...but they are just pieces of tarmac...the race should be about the cars and drivers. Instead it is the Wolff vs Horner show. Everyone else are bit players in a video game.

nerofer and 375+ like this.
  22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    You make some valid points.

23. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It looks like the glass is half empty for some ...

24. DF1

I watch each race. We had compelling competition in some races this year. F1 has never been perfect. Its the future that we will need to be concerned about. ICE power vs E. Evolution occurs for us to see.

william likes this.
  25. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Good move IMO. They are still struggling with the post Olympics issues surrounding the pandemic. I've always thought they should have just cancelled the Olympics this year.

william likes this.