Mistral 4000 Restoration | FerrariChat

Mistral 4000 Restoration

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by peterpaul, Aug 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterpaul

peterpaul Rookie

Dec 27, 2016
    Netherlands
    First thread for me on Ferrarichat and it will be to cover my Maserati Mistral 4000, 1968 restoration. I bought this German car recently as an interrupted restoration project which was started around 2000. The car has been totally disassembled, Alu body off and the chassis blasted, welded and coated by Hirsekorn in Germany. The Aluminium body fully restored by the owner whom sold me the car. The lower engine overhauled, new custom pistons and sleeves. The interior seats etc. done with black leather by CarTex. And spoke wheels fully restored to new. So lots done but still many hours to finish the project. The car will go to my fabricator nearby to fit and finish the Alu body which is still loose on the chassis and fit the contour of the bumpers to the Alu body. This will take place in the first 2 weeks of September after which the car will go the the painter. Image Unavailable, Please Login

qvee, 3500 GT, TBigs and 5 others like this.
  2. peterpaul

peterpaul Rookie

Dec 27, 2016
    Netherlands
    psw, 3500 GT and BJK like this.
  3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Body looks really good.

Ivan

4. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Very cool! Love to see people doing their own work. What is the original colur?

Waiting for more...

5. peterpaul

peterpaul Rookie

Dec 27, 2016
    Netherlands
    The original colour confirmed by Fabio is Argento Auteuil Silver Salchi code 106E1. The interior Black Connolly PAC 1560. Interesting, it is the same colour as my Sebring 1 (which I purchased march 2020), although that is stated as code Max Meyer 16.287. My Sebring I restored last year spring, down to bare metal, new leather interior, wiring loom, chrome, engine and gearbox, new thermal insulation, exhaust etc etc. The Sebring is my first 6 cilinder model Maserati and now I own 4! Can anyone explain please:confused: My wife needs to know.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The quality of the Alu body panel repairs is to a very high standard. All round the lower body parts new Alu has been welded in. The former owner did this and was very satisfied about the result of his work. And I must agree!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

At present only the roof is fixed to the chassis permantly. The front and rear body parts will be fixed in 2 weeks from now.

Rivets do the job.

psw, Mexico074 and JL350 like this.
  6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    What is the VIN of your car?

7. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Looks like a great project, keep posting photos & updates... & I'm loving your Sebring :)

I'd love to see some more photos of your Sebring, I have a Series II in Celeste Ardenza.

8. peterpaul

peterpaul Rookie

Dec 27, 2016
    Netherlands
    The body work is progressing nicely. Some items need attention like the fit of the rear door and potential alignment of the doors. We have found out the rear door does not align with the roof and we will also fit the window to be sure the rear door stays the same with the window installed. The doors are nearly a perfect fit now having tackled the large gaps. All the Alu body work is now permanently fixed. We will support the car by the axles and load it with weights to see what this does with the door gaps. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Also we manufactured a new surround for the ventilation inlet. The original did not follow the contours of the bonnet correctly. So we expect one more week of work before the Mistral goes to the painter. The painter needs some 3 months so progress there is slow due to the drying times of the different layers.

BJK and Mexico074 like this.
  9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What do you utilize to isolate the aluminum from the steel frame in order to prevent a galvanic reaction?

10. peterpaul

peterpaul Rookie

Dec 27, 2016
    Netherlands
    Because all the alu had been removed we blasted, restored. primed and coated the steel chassis. So when the alu is folded around the steel there is no contact. The rivets are alu themselves but it is very difficult, if not impossible to insulate the alu from the steel totally. Where felt was used we did the same. So we did all practically possible to prevent contact corrosion in the future. Any further advice would be welcome as this will probably not be the last project. Just in the final stages of a Maserati 3500 which I have with a friend of mine. Another project we started last year November, 2020. Maybe I will open another thread on this car. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

psw, staatsof, BJK and 1 other person like this.
  11. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    I for one would be very interested on a thread about this 3500. It appears to be one sourced from the SF Bay Area in California? Looks like some very high quality work!
    Many Thanks, RF.

12. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    The rear door/hatch on my Mistral also does not align well with the body, particularly the sides. The hatch is maybe 1-2 mm lower than the roof, with the smallest difference in the middle. The difference is much larger on the sides, where it curves from the roof.

This bothered me and made me wonder about the history of the car and if the hatch was not original, since each part was custom made for each car. But the paint history of the hatch matches the paint history of the body. The car is currently black, was delivered copper, but has gold underneath that, so presumable the gold was the original colour and the copper was a factory repaint before initial delivery (or perhaps a gold primer?). That tells me that the hatch was likely installed at the factory. I also don't see any evidence that the misalignment is age related.

I don't know why it aligns as it does, but I have since noticed the same thing on several other Mistrals. If they were delivered like that from the factory, then that would mean that it may not need to be corrected on your car. It may be worth looking in to. Or perhaps someone here knows the answer.

Very nice work, BTW. Looking forward to more! (nice 3500 too!)

13. peterpaul

peterpaul Rookie

Dec 27, 2016
    Netherlands
    The Mistral is now at the paintshop. The Alu bodywork is very straight according to the prep guy, he is pleased with that. He has been told this car must be particularly beautiful. We decided to modify the steel contours of the rear door to alighn with the roof and sides of the car. From all the photos on the net this seemed to be the most aesthetic.
    If all goes to plan the car should be paited by X-mas, so fingers cossed.

steel Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JL350, Beezztie and BJK like this.
  14. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Paint prep is such messy stuff and a ton of work. Especially on such hand made and not made all that well cars.