2003 Lamborghini Murcielago - 12,900 Miles - Rare Blue Ely - 6 Speed Manual | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2003 Lamborghini Murcielago - 12,900 Miles - Rare Blue Ely - 6 Speed Manual

Discussion in 'Cars' started by SupercarGuru, Sep 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Porsche manual T cars are still rather affordable. Sadly, despite their awesome handing, there is nothing like V8 or V12 power....so Porsches are a distant second choice in that department.

2. GatedMurci

GatedMurci Rookie

Jul 12, 2020
    Only 191 manual Murci's were brought to the U.S.

Curated found "More than 50-60% of the Murcielago examples that made it to the USA have been involved in some sort of accident or were a total loss. Of the remaining examples left, another 50% have very high mileage". https://wearecurated.com/2003-lamborghini-murcielago/

People are realizing these are not only amazing cars but a great investment. And the sound with a proper exhaust :D

3. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    #28 rumen1, Aug 17, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    Still wonder why people think that early manual Murcis are a rarity, when all early cars (02-03) are manual only...

Jakuzzi and NuorderSG like this.
  4. redhammer

redhammer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2011
    Roughly 4100 total production for Murcielago all years, about 2200 are pre LP cars. Out of 2200 cars, under 1000 are manual. It’s estimated US has about 200 manual murcielagos.

5. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Well that, most of all, means, that the Murci is a rare car as a whole. :)

6. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Murcielago has a cult like following. Demand will far outstrip supply especially considering half or more aren't manual.

Adam812 likes this.
  7. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Not that I will ever consider selling mine, but hope you're right. However, not such thing is happening at the moment, at least in Europe.

8. GatedMurci

GatedMurci Rookie

Jul 12, 2020
    Bring a Trailer has a Verde Ithaca manual Murci, the auction ends in an hour if anyone is interested.

9. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Hah, this is absolutely an identical copy of my car - same color, same year, same gearbox, same everything... I needed to go to the garage to verify if my car is still there, thought it is the same car :D :D :D

For sure 2006 is the best option, mainly because of the bigger brakes, which really transform the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. GatedMurci

GatedMurci Rookie

Jul 12, 2020
    Sold for $520,000 after 5K Bring a Trailer fee added to $515,000 final bid.

I hope this one gets driven!

Boomhauer likes this.
  11. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    That has to be a record for a pre-LP?

12. goldlifter

goldlifter Karting

Aug 8, 2015
    05/06 gated Murcis are truly the PreLp cars to own as they have the much needed larger brakes, better suspension and updated ignition system(04's had this as well)

rumen1 likes this.
  13. P Zero

P Zero Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2006
    Insane. I don't understand the numbers they are bringing right now.

ralfabco and technom3 like this.
  14. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    I didn't read the date on the op and nearly had a heart attack.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Julia and GatedMurci like this.
  15. GatedMurci

GatedMurci Rookie

Jul 12, 2020
    There are more Porsche Carrera GT's than manual Murcielago's in the world. Those went from $350,000 to $1,250,000 over the last few years.

No other car checks the boxes V12, manual, mid engine, Italian, reliable and one of the best exhaust notes for anywhere under $1,000,000. After years of searching the Vinwiki list of manual first generation US Murcielagos shows 191 coupes and roadsters combined. There are probably a few more hiding in collections. The other issue is that many have been crashed, totalled or completely abused.

It is worth noting that 02-03 are the fastest of the first generation. 02-03 apparently need valve adjustment later at 40k miles while 04-06 need it earlier at 30k miles. Other sources in the know say 03 is the best year including Whiteout (reliable Murci source on L forums). Bigger brakes are nice on the 05-06. In 04+ the adjustable suspension was replaced with non-adjustable. Whiteout also says 02-03 is more comfortable. I think the first generation of all years are really very similar and I doubt brakes, unadjustable suspension and different coil packs make much of a value difference at all. 05-06 do have roadsters which could be more valuable to roadster lovers. I fear many manual Murcielagos will go from being driven every Sunday to being parked and preserved.

P Zero likes this.
  16. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Believe me, the upgraded brakes and suspension are making such a big difference when you drive the car as intended, that it almost makes it a different car.That is why when I searched for a car to buy, I only searched for a 04-06 model, as I really like to drive my cars as they are made to be driven.

And as for being parked and preserved - I am a member of a Facebook group for Murci owners (I think Ed Bolian is also a member there) and there are a lot of people, who are getting close to 60 000 miles / 100 000 km mileage with these. I had 6000 km with mine only this year and even have driven it on the track at Red Bull ring. I think that "low mileage" nonsense is mainly seen in the US and not so much in Europe and rest of the world. Curated are mostly responsible for this, I guess.

And to be honest - the CGT is definitely a better car than the Murci, but it is a lot different. And I doubt a normal gated Murci will ever become a 7-figure car, but honestly - as an owner, I really don't care much about going up in value. These cars are meant to be driven and money is definitely not everything in this life.

pchop and armedferret like this.
  17. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Carrera gt haven't been 350k for over a decade.

Adam812, AHudson and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  18. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    550 Maranello checks almost all of those boxes - aside from being a front-engine car. It's also nice looking. Relatively inexpensive cost of entry for a V-12 manual exotic.

Murcielago also used to be relatively inexpensive to purchase, for a V-12 manual mid-engine exotic.

19. GatedMurci

GatedMurci Rookie

Jul 12, 2020
    Another gated for auction on Bring a Trailer.

@SupercarGuru Do you have any incoming?

20. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Maybe... : )

JSinNOLA, Il Tifoso and GatedMurci like this.
  21. GatedMurci

GatedMurci Rookie

Jul 12, 2020
    Adam812 likes this.
  22. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    they were all the same color, resembling a color used on the Ford Probe, never understood that color choice for all of them, unflattering color choice, that may be why they are not as recognized, not to mention the "serial number" has no relationship to the VIN (unlike the SE30) and not to mention there is nothing special about the drivetrain, also unlike the SE30...it's just badge and specific interior trim for the 40th

23. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I personally like the color. The dark grey Speedline wheels are the main downside for me. These wheels only look good in silver and if it should be dark grey, then the wheels should be the Hercules model.

HtownFcar and Boomhauer like this.
  24. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I second "liking" the 40th teal Murci color. I think it is striking!

25. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Years ago the 40th was price as low, as 125K ask. The premium with this listing is for the mileage. The Probe looks great. My guess most wild colors work well with L cars. The opposite is true with the other brand.