Bonnet liner | FerrariChat

Bonnet liner

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ewan, Jul 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Does anyone know where I can by a new liner/mat for the underside of the bonnet? My original one is looking a bit thread bare in places.

2. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I did a search for the same thing about 5 years ago. I got two type answers: a) I use some plan off black heat shield material or b) a guy in Netherlands said he could match the material and make it for 4-5000 Euro. So I added a little tactful glue where needed. If you can find something I will be interested at a modest price.
    Ken

3. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
  4. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    I just got a qoute from them and it was expensive. Probably first class product and result but at approx. $2200 + shipping and tax it was to steep for me. Will keep looking for other solutions.

5. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Interesting. Is leather the standard material? It would seem that with the heat of the engine and getting wet from rain that leather would be my last choice of material. Maybe for a garage queen that is driven once every few years.

6. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    They replied they had the correct fire resistant vinyl to replicate the liner. So no leather :) I have asked them if I can buy the material I need and have it made locally but so far no reply. I suspect they might not want to.

These liners and the materials for it is hard to find. At least I have had little luck so far. There must be a source for the material somewhere but it's out of my reach at this stage.

These guys can probably also help but I have not received a definitive answer yet : Re-Originals, Inc. - Restoration Headquarters - Upholstery (reoriginals.com)

7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    PVC (Poly vinyl chloride) is fireproof somehow. Just wondering if they were using specific vinyl or if it was the additional backing that made the linner fire-proof. The Ferrari material does not look special to me (?)

In any case rhe main hurdle is to have acess to a proper sewing machine...

8. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    This is HVL's description:
    "To make these hood pads, we use the original classic fire retardant foil (with a glass fibre in between). Stitches are made with fire retardant Nomex yarn."

9. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    WOW!

I'm pretty happy I purchased an original one when I did for 165 pound. :)

At these current prices and the number of people that seem to need them have you all put your name on the waiting list for Maranello to do a run. I have done this with a couple of parts over the years and when they get enough interest they do a run.

Cheers,
    Al

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Tifoso likes this.
  10. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    A little update. HVL very kindly got back to me and they do sell the correct materials needed by the meter. I will order what I need and have it fabricated locally. Price was not to bad considering it's a true replica fabric. I can order what is needed for about 550-600 USD.

I just stumbled over the HVL when searching for products and I did not know they where at this level. HVL has close relations with Ferrari Classiche regarding restoration of cars.

Ewan, Il Tifoso and Al Campbell like this.
  11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Al,

Thanks for posting the part number, as I could not seem to find it!

Cheers,

Sam

12. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Arvid,

Indeed HVK (Henk is his name) is a very nice fellow and meticulously researches, sources, and looks to remake a number of the materials used in vintage Ferraris, etc. I bought my Dash "mousehair" from him and he was very helpful and shipped very quickly. The only issue was submitting payment, as he was not setup for any form of electronic payment and so I had to do bank wire transfer which is a bit of a pain to do here in Canada. That being said this was about 5 years ago and so his payment mechanisms may have expanded. As for his connections to the Factory... well... he was selected to recreate the original materials and interior for the Daytona Prototype which is now in the Ferrari museum.

As for the hood pad... I started this project ... like most of my others... a number of years ago. I found some fabric that is used in the auto and marine industry that looked very close to the original. What I found was simply the outer surface material with the simulated perforations and it did not have the backed fabric/liner. To address this I bought some heat, water, oil, resistant thermal material used in Engine compartments. The idea was to stitch the two together via the "zig-zag" stitching like the originals. I approached a number of upholstery companies and most did not have the long arm machine that was needed. I then did some research and the sewing machine needed is used by people/firms who make bed quilts. I found a number of local quilters that saw no issue sewing this for me. Sadly, Covid hit and so my progress stopped. I have recently restarted my efforts on this and so hopefully I will have more feedback on my approach in the next few weeks.

As for cost to date... I spent about $120 for the base material and thermal pad. The labor cost to stitch everything is not yet known, but I suspect it will be about $200 to $300. I figured the cost was reasonable to give it a try and especially so, as I had not other options at the time.

Cheers,

Sam

13. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Hi Sam,

Very useful information indeed. Thank you so much. After I got the offer from Henk I thought maybe these things should be possible to source on my own. I have used a couple of hours looking online and it is an option. So I might do the same as you. I have found most materials but the fire retardant perforated vinyl is more difficult. I have a few leads and will email and see what they offer.

Can I ask where you found the vinyl and thermal mat ? I'm a bit worried of driving the car without the liner in place so there will be no driving until it's in place. These engines radiates a lot of heat and the fresh paint might not like it.

14. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Isn't this quite equal to the original ? Found it at iwantfabric in the UK. Both vinyl and foam backing is fire retardant. Can't be far off in appearance other than maybe a bit more structure compared to the smooth original.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ewan, raemin and Schumi like this.
  15. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #15 samsaprunoff, Aug 22, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    Good day Arvid,

You are very welcome! As for what material I found... I will go through my notes, etc to see where I found it. I do not think that the simulated perforated material is technically fire rated, but I believe heat resistant to some degree. To have an actual fire rating would require specialty fabric and/or approvals which would be pricey given the relatively small market where the fabric would be used. That being said I am not overly convinced that the originals were fire rated... Once I get my original back (it is with the seamstress) I will "test" it. My original is pretty ratty and melted in a few spots (probably do to heat) and so it is only useful as a rough pattern. The material I did find looks very similar to your most recent post, but the backing may be different. I can confirm once the seamstress is finished.

As for the thermal pad... I will need to check on this too. As I recall the pad was used specially in engine bays and the issue I had was to find one piece for the hood pad... which I did. It was not reflective lined, but I felt this did not matter, as the reflective portion is not seen.

I will go through my purchase folder to see if I can find the receipt, etc and will post up what I find.

Cheers,

Sam

<edit> For thermal materials...I found some references in my electronic folder of products from a company called "KoolMat":

https://www.koolmat.com/catalog-heat-protection/

I am still looking for what I bought...

16. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Arvid,

I think this looks to be very, very close to the original... and I think one would have a hard time differentiating this material from the original... unless they were side by side. Keep in mind that they current OEM replacement may not be 100% the same as the original, as the original material may no longer be available.

This material looks very close to what I found, but I do not think what I found was foam backed.

Excellent find!

Cheers,

Sam

17. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Thanks for the lead Sam. Probably a thin glas fibre mat will also work as a thermal middle layer. As I see it front layer will be the one from iwantfabric and some kind of thermal mat in the middle - possibly glas fibre - and then a third heat retardant thin material as backing. Problem is as you say to find a shop with a large enough sewing machine to zig zag the pattern.

As for the original liner I doubt the front vinyl was very heat resistant. Mine has meltet like plastic due to a fuel fire long ago but the middle layer that is visible is clearly fire resistant. I will receive my old liner in a week or two as it was left behind at the body shop. I need measures before ordering anything.

18. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Arvid - once you have sourced the various materials and found an appropriate seamstress, can you price up the finished article? I may want to order one with you, and it might be a bit cheaper if two are made together?

19. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    No problem Ewan. It looks like I will buy the front perforated vinyl and back material from iwantfabric. They have material in either wool or other fire retardant material which will fit nicely as last layer. Middle layer will be a 5mm fibre glass mat as thermal layer which I will have to source elsewhere.

20. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    A little update. I have collected prices from two different upholsterers in Europe and they range from 1100 to 1900 Euro for a finished bonnet liner in correct materials. This is not for me so I'm going to follow my original plan and have it made locally. If anyone is interested I can give you contact details for the shops. They are both very qualified for sure.

Ak Jim likes this.