Fiberglass Hole In The Lower Bumper | FerrariChat

Fiberglass Hole In The Lower Bumper

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pauls, Aug 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    I removed the skid plates on a newly purchased 360. What I found was this hole in the fiberglass under the skid plate on the right side of the bumper. I am willing (but capable?) to fill the hole with fiberglass. I know I have to remove the center pan. I have watched some YouTube videos but I am leery to assume it is so easy. Can anyone give me some advice to someone who has not done this type of repair? Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Repairing fiberglass is very easy. I would remove the bumper from the car if you want to do it right. Are you planning on repainting the bumper when you are done, or do you just want to patch the hole and put the skid plate back on?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    #3 pauls, Aug 22, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    I plan to patch the hole and put new Hill skid plates back on.

4. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Is the original part made with a hard or flexible resin? If it is made with a hard resin, a fibreglass repair kit should do the trick. If it is a more flexible plastic infused with glass fibres, then consider using the glass fibres, but instead of using the resin in the fibreglass repair kit, use a two part flexible epoxy. I have done this many times to repair motorcycle fairings. Even better reason to use a black 2 part epoxy is that it would color match. I would try to patch it from the opposite side.

willrace likes this.
  5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Search West System fiberglass repair on Amazon and watch their instructional videos on YouTube. I've used their stuff to repair fiberglass on boats in the past and it worked well. I'd say spray with trim paint and you're good to go under there.

Ray

6. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Thanks for everyones input.

RayJohns likes this.
  7. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Forgot to add - if it is flexible a bumper repair kit should have the correct type of glue. Oh, wear thin rubber gloves.

8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    You may also use large packing tape (the cheap brown variant) in order to "mold" the fiber glass.

1) Apply tape to your fiberglass.
    2) Cut the fiberglass to the exact shape you want (the tape does help here as the fiberglass would otherwise be a mess)
    3) Apply this shaped patch of fiber to another layer of brown tape that is twice the size of your patch.
    4) Add a reasonable amount of epoxy to the fiber glass
    5) Apply the whole of it to your hole.

See before (pink) / after (yellow) :

Image Unavailable, Please Login

If you have access to thin carbon cloth or kevlar, the result will look much better.

(that's how I fix the kevlar wings of my RC gliders that have made an unexpected encounter with the earth)