Michael Andretti to takeover existing F1 team?? Reports . . . | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Michael Andretti to takeover existing F1 team?? Reports . . .

Discussion in 'F1' started by pilotoCS, Aug 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    No better way to increase your ROI than a quick sale.

Bas, william and pilotoCS like this.
  2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
  3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Cheap if Andretti changes nothing lol. Nothing cheap about this. Haas if he sells won’t be looking to just toss it away.

5. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis

"Haas if he sells won’t be looking to just toss it away." Really? What's the price of continuing on at the back of the grid for naught? It's called cutting your losses.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This is not whether you "like Michael" or not. Its what happened when Ron Dennis picked him to join McLaren along side Senna and what he did in that period.

Michael blamed his poor performance on McLaren saying that Senna was getting all the attention and even accused them of sabotage to make him look bad. Senna fans took this as a slam to Senna claiming the only way he was winning was from preferential treatment or outright cheating. I can't say I blame them. Ron didn't like that (or his poor showings) and blamed it (along with the British media) on Michael's lack of understanding of International tracks and his lack of testing because he was always flying back home. They felt he was scapegoating his lack of performance on the team.

Look, you can rewrite history all you want but Michael was mocked and jeered repeatedly even before the season and certainly during. Michael could not handle the British press and his coming from CART didn't help as it was viewed as something crude and unsophisticated from "good ol boys" tinkering around. That was just the attitude back then. It may be different now since Alonso took a shine to the 500.

But there are still people in F1 who have a grudge against Michael, as there is for just about anyone from America being in F1.

tritone likes this.
  7. DF1

He has value in the operation. Access and exposure to world markets. There are significant intangibles along with his physical equipment. The potential of the operation will not be discounted in a sale.

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    My only guess was/is Haas.

I wonder if Michael is bidding against Mazepin Sr ??

9. DF1

Mazepin was already denied a sale once. Certainly there is no bias against corrupt Russian wealth at the FIA :)

With Liberty DESPERATE for gain more out of the US market, I sense another failed sale if Mazepin is serious and Haas is actually up for sale at all. I can see this going to Andretti over Mazepin and quite easily lol.

The little playboy Mazepin will be out of a job rather quickly as well.......

Nembo1777 and william like this.
  10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

AFAIK, the Haas team doesn't have a wind tunnel, or composite facilities.
    The design and contruction is done by Dalarra.
    Just like Eddie Jordan did years ago, Gene Haas started his F1 team with the minimum investment, outsourcing many aspects of the operation.

11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Non sense… it was years ago and he just sucked period

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LVP488 and Nembo1777 like this.
  13. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I remember that it was Michael's lack of commitment to spending the needed time in Europe that made him non competitive. I also remember all sorts of rumors of not getting equal equipment and other stuff. I don't remember hearing it from Michael, but that was 30 years ago. I do remember Michael saying that he just couldn't get used to braking so late into the turns. For several reasons, he never became one with the car, and that caused his failure and his exit. But would he make the same mistake as a team owner? And how is any new team going to get up to speed with the ultra limited amount of testing? You are forced to outsource your R&D to suppliers, or spend giant amounts of money...giants amount. But now with budget caps, I don't see how back marker teams can catch up. There are now A teams and junior B teams. The top three teams represent 60% of the grid. I don't consider Haas a "Ferrari team"...they just sell Gene stuff and hand the money to Alfa Romeo. The entire Haas team should be canned and eliminated from the grid. No one will ever notice their two cars not being there. After the first lap, 18 cars will look the same as 20. And raising $250 million is way to little money to go F1 racing. I don't think it will come to anything.

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    #39 375+, Aug 21, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    +1 Michael and his wife were not terribly sophisticated people and weren't comfortable outside the USA. Mario made a similar observation about Parnelli Jones regarding the 1975 season.

Nembo1777, Bas, tritone and 1 other person like this.
  15. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Mario, LIKE.
    Michael, CANNOT STAND.
    Marco, .... My reply would be P&R....

HotShoe and Bas like this.
  16. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Michael:....'can't get a decent cheeseburger in Gay Paree'. Dripping with sarcasm. That's what I remember.
    Hard to succeed with that attitude.
    Sent from my SM-A102U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    My thoughts also...

18. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    The article didn't seem to dismiss Haas, just indicated it was just an early conversation. It sounds like Haas, Williams or Sauber are the candidates. I would still say it's Haas, with the other two names thrown in for leverage.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Michael's approach was certainly clumsy and while he grew up in small town America perhaps Mario of whom I am a resolute fan, could have schooled him better in adapting to the old world and its MO's.

Ron Dennis was a great team manager but not a good communicator at all so he did not help the situation whereas a more urbane educated one might have turned things around.

I am sure Michael has a much better understanding of Europe and F1 now.

As to your perceived grudge against him among F1 people...you fail to take into account many years have passed; I lived in Silverstone in the late 80's when I was racing and saw some of that negative attitude towards the US in UK racing folks' mentalities but attitudes have changed, maybe old uneducated fans at the pub but who cares, not anyone with any power or brains in the paddock. To the contrary everyone now realizes full well the importance of the American market for the health of F1, how positive Austin has been, the second GP in Miami and now the need for either Haas to be more competitive or for another US GP team to appear or morph out of Haas...and for a US driver.

And yes Indycar is far more appreciated and respected in Europe now that the internet, live streaming and the passage of Fernando, the good results obtained by very good European drivers who never had the right car in F1 have had their very positive impact. More and more people in Europe watch Indycar because the races are so full of action and unpredictable.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I would offer Toro Rosso/Alphi Tauri as a suggestion.

A few years ago, Dieter Mateschitz wanted to sell that outfit, but couldn't find a buyer for his junior team.

Now, the Red Bull boss may need money to finance Red Bull Powertrains to take over from Honda.

I know it's a long shot .....

Isobel, Nembo1777 and ricksb like this.
  21. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    One thing's for certain: Dieter Mateschitz is in NO NEED of money! However, like any astute businessman, he might want to offload Alpha Tauri to somewhat offset the cost of Red Bull Powertrains.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  22. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    How much financing does Michael Andretti have available to him?

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    He may be the front man for a group of investors.

24. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I hope they have deep pockets. It is like buying an exotic car, the buy-in can be not so bad, but you need to maintain it.

william likes this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That's always the case when buying an ailing business: you have to plan funds for revamping and restructuring it. Often it's as much as the purchase price, if not more!
    That's where many investors fail.