Help with Talladega! | FerrariChat

Help with Talladega!

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by 3POINT8, Aug 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Hi -

I have never been to a Nascar race. I am taking my family (wife and four sons age 2-9) to Talladega in October. Any advice for a first timer? Where to stay? What tickets to buy? When to get there? Etc?

Thanks!

Jesse

2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    1. Hearing protection...trust me.
    2. Seats high enough to see everything (I'm speaking from Michigan and Brickyard 400 experience), and IMO turn 1. Restarts are awesome.
    3. It's a bucket list experience, enjoy.

Sorry I don't have more experience with Talledega specifically.

3. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I like turn 1 up high as well at Talladega. Lots of action and you can see the back stretch. Expect to stand to most of the race; wear comfortable shoes.

4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thanks guys appreciate. any tips on hotels?

5. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    Pack your patience for Rednecks.

Oh yeah and Kyle Busch Sucks.

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Believe it or not, I have lived 30 miles away from the track since 1973. I have passed by it countless times and attend various programs and dinners there all the time. And I have never been to a single race.

I have actually DRIVEN it in my Scirocco, but never seen a race there.

7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    IMO, a NASCAR race should be a bucket list thing. It's really quite the spectacle in person. The cars, the noise, the people watching.

Plus, I got to see it in the heyday of the mid to late 90's...it was pretty cool, really.

sjd

8. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Look at Hotel Final in Anniston, AL. Just down the road from Talladega. Its a quaint little place, bed and breakfast like, we use when we track at the small race track in Anniston. Just something a little different than going into Birmingham

430jm likes this.
  9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great thanks!

10. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    You will need to go to the rail at least once as the pack goes be. I was fortunate enough to go in 1983 when qualifying speed was 201. Lap against the rail as they screamed by at well over 200 in the draft was unreal. You could not watch them pass by as the wind was too much.
    Enjoy the experience, be prepared for rain.

V4NG0 and steved033 like this.
  11. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    ^— what Wade said. I went a couple of times in the 90’s. I don’t recall what the top speed was then but do vividly recall the rush of the cars screaming past while standing by the fence. It’s absolutely incredible.

12. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Restrictor plates started in 1988. Before that 212 in 1987 was the fastest qualifying lap.

V4NG0 likes this.
  13. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    sweet thanks!

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I've been to one NASCAR race - and well its was an experience!!!
    I have not been to the one at Talladega... so perhaps it will be different.

When I went I had a Garage / Paddock pass...so that was nice, but getting there was an experience. This was at Atlanta Motorspeedway. from parking - I was met by the host team, and they took me in using a golf cart... wow, the crown was ... friendly.. to the extreme. women... showing their boobs... guys passing beers .. along with other items, and this was 10 AM on a Saturday!
    once in the paddock it was just like any other racing paddock, practice started and it was LOUD. kinda deep rumbling loud, you feel it all over, the vibration is startling. they allowed me to stand behind the pit wall, and when the jacks and air guns go over, the hoses are like whips. I was amazed at the lack of safety ... other than a guy yelling overhead... as the hose comes flying by your face.

from that single experience - I don't believe I'd go back. I did meet Richard Petty, very nice man, he noted my Ferrari hat, and said I gotta couple of those!

15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    you wouldn't go back? your trip sounds awesome!

16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    No, I'm not a NASCAR fan... that was about as good as you can get, and it was no where close to going to Petit Lemans as a general admission tix holder.

17. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    good to know. lemans is on the bucket list as well.