Ted goes 223 MPH in a Cobra - 2021 Idaho | FerrariChat

Ted goes 223 MPH in a Cobra - 2021 Idaho

Discussion in 'Social Media' started by Rob Chiang, Aug 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    NeuroBeaker and Robb like this.
  2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That is very fast! I like the tricolor on a cobra.

Rob Chiang likes this.
  3. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    #3 willrace, Aug 22, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    Potentially cool, even with the sound muted. Is there a version without the........ ahhhh...... "music"? Up to about 5 min. it was painful.

Edit: Finally came back to watch that last part. BIG balls for that last 1/4 mile rodeo.

Rob Chiang likes this.
  4. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    That is pretty impressive for both the car and the driver.

5. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    I think the tricolor looks great too. He is Italian and he's also building a Cobra-rarri. A 599 V12 motor in a cobra body.

6. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    Hi Willrace,

According to Ted, this required no hesitation by the himself, driver, and only one run with no practice. Isn't that like Bugatti Veyron fast in a kit car?

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    love it…a true sickness! We need more people like him in car culture

willrace likes this.
  8. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Better than Veyron-fast at this event. Can't find results posted other than the board at ~5:33, but from that I can see "Ludwig" in a '18 GT2 RS at ~218/219 (twice, 2 different drivers, same car?), and over on the left is a GT500 at 220 (can't see driver name). The vid shows a Veyron, a Ford GT and 2 Paganis (but didn't see them on the board), so Ted def. had the bigger cojones in a "faster" field that had much better aero than his "brick" (even modified, as it is). I was surprised that he was so off for his projected TS (218 @ 6200), though - 223 with more revs left (and still pulling!!). What kind of power is that thing putting out?

9. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    normv and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  10. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Cool project, back in the day (late 80's early 90's) I saw a cobra that had an old Colombo V-12 with 6 webers, it was also named Cobrari, I think a magazine also did an article on it.

11. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Thanks for the Sun Valley video link. 200+ mph in a Cobra? Not on your life. That guy is absolutely insane!

375+ likes this.
  12. P Zero

P Zero Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2006
    They Veyron had a problem. It went out of top speed mode during it's run.

willcrook likes this.
  13. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    The attachment limit is 5mb, so here is a tiny video clip attached. Not my footage, Sun Valley Tour De Force filmed and edited it. I just clipped a small preview to share here. This was more raw footage given directly to the driver.

I sat down with Ted Taormina for about an hour today and he gave me the entire rundown. Here is everything I can remember:

The "italian job" Cobra was built to beat the original Cobra speed records were 198mph, back in the day. This was done at the speed of 201mph by Ted a few years back.

The specs of the Cobra car:
    1. Superformance chassis, shelby continuation body
    2. 750 HP 427 v8 motor w/700 lb/ft torque
    3. custom wheels with lead hammer hubs, toyo r888 tires, not slicks they have some pattern.
    4. custom flat undertray, custom diffuser, front dive planes, the normal windscreen was actually removed for the high speed fun and replaced with a "plexi visor" lower than the chin of his helmet.
    5. Only 3 customer cars have been built to similar 200mph spec since.
    6. What's next? 230 mph unofficial? 223 mph official? They are seeking out time and space to go 2-ways on a spaceship landing strip 3 miles in length in Florida to legitimize the time set by him and the car. World record times must be done "both ways" to account for tailwinds.
    Here is also an old write up when the car 'only' went 187 mph.
    https://petrolicious.com/articles/this-italian-themed-cobra-holds-a-187mph-mojave-speed-record

The specs of the Cobra-rrari car:
    1. It's a protoype and it's not done yet. 2 Years into this project. Many more years beforehand thinking about it.
    2. Fun fact: he was able to source the same CA license plate as the original Cobra-rarri which was a Shelby body with a Ferrari motor.
    3. 599 Motor with tremec transmission.
    4. Superformance chassis for most of the rear and middle section. The front of the body was actually made with a 3D machine, 3D printers, and finally 3D printed blocks, then fiberglass molds. An aluminum chassis is possible if desired in the future, from Europe. It was an incredibly high-tech process involving 1/4 scale models, lots of 3D printing and then real world fitting and modifying. The profile harkens back to the nose of a 250 testarossa with the rear end of a cobra and a tall rear fairing. It's 4 inches longer than the cobra nose and the front fender haunches are higher and swoopy, accentuating that european chassis design.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

14. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
  15. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    its a really clever idea. put ferrari motor in cobra kit car with slight body mods to reflect ferrari design. much more desirable than regular cobra imo. they should try incorporate wrap around windshield though

16. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Starting to resemble a Scarab crossed with a Devin SS. I'd like to see it in Aluminum rather than glass........ but CF would probably be more appropriate for the era-bender that it is.

Rob Chiang likes this.
  17. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    Here are some shots of Ted painting the car with some special resin so it's visible when it gets 3D scanned.
    Then the first model getting printed and shaved down.

A couple of initial renderings as well, you can see the blue is the new rrari nose much longer and taller haunches compared to the gray cobra shape. The gentleman who did the renderings is an extremely talented and passionate man who works at Google, down the road.

Basically, anything is possible.

Yes, an aluminum body would be super sweet. And a raw, hand polished full aluminum body imho would be amazing.

Let me know any questions, I can ask the expert and relay back.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
  19. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has