Quattroporte III catch-all thread | Page 74 | FerrariChat

Quattroporte III catch-all thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Quattroporte3, Jun 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fleetwing

fleetwing Rookie

Aug 17, 2021
    oregon and kuwait
    Full Name:
    John Hermanson
    i am looking for a PPG code so I can buy paint for my 1980 QPIII it is one of two cars painted in this color according to Maserati "Avorio" (Ivory) (Salchi code 5994546) according to the VIN number But I cannot find the ppg code I want to buy glasurit paint in the color to do a concourse repaint, been in touch with Fabio Collina at Maserati to get the Glidden & slachi code but can't find a modern paint PPG code for it it is one of two cars in this color
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    #1827 boralogist, Aug 19, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    You can't find it because no such code exists!
    5994546 can not be a Salchi number---wrong format.

The Salchi code for Avorio is 20-Y-153 and Avorio Safari 20-Y-546

Take a look at Avorio PPG 190 and other Salchi cross-references---and make your choice ;)

Enjoy!

fleetwing likes this.
  3. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    PS
    20. Avorio 20-Y-153

fleetwing likes this.
  4. fleetwing

fleetwing Rookie

Aug 17, 2021
    oregon and kuwait
    Full Name:
    John Hermanson
    the closest I could find was this Pastel Ivory 231.052 ppg code for Maserati, this is the message I got from Maserati " After a check in our historical archive I can confirm that your car was originally manufactured painted in "Avorio" (Ivory) (Salchi code 5994546). "

5. fleetwing

fleetwing Rookie

Aug 17, 2021
    oregon and kuwait
    Full Name:
    John Hermanson
    What I am thinking is since my car is one of two painted in this color and it is a California spec car, it may be a color from another car selection look at the table I provided above, or here I am thinking it may be a Detomaso color since detomaso owned Maserati at the time

6. fleetwing

fleetwing Rookie

Aug 17, 2021
    oregon and kuwait
    Full Name:
    John Hermanson
    the best thing to do for the ac compressor is updater it from a middle 1980's Maserati bi-turbo

7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I would remove something from the car that still has its original paint (perhaps the gas cap) and have the color electronically "read" at your local automotive paint store. The system will look for the closes match; which may be from a Ford Taurus. Use that formula and tell everyone it is Avorio :)
    Ivan

fleetwing likes this.
  8. fleetwing

fleetwing Rookie

Aug 17, 2021
    oregon and kuwait
    Full Name:
    John Hermanson
    most likely a Chrysler or detomaso color

9. fleetwing

fleetwing Rookie

Aug 17, 2021
    oregon and kuwait
    Full Name:
    John Hermanson
    you also have to use silicone grease on them when assembling to stop the squeak

10. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Lower trim under the door should be polished stainless steel. If I remember right there may have been plastic ends where it meets the front/rear wheel wells.

Thor

fleetwing likes this.
  11. fortee9er

fortee9er Karting

Jun 28, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jorge Garcia
    Hi it has been while since my last visit. I need some advice. I am moving and I can't take my car collection with me so I am selling it. Included in my collection are two QP3 and two Biturbos. These cars don't come up for sale often, in the US, so it is difficult to get market prices. And that is where I am hoping I can get some help. I don't want to over price or under price the Maseratis.
    All four cars are project cars because I have not run them in recent memory or I bought them as non-runners.
    1980 QP3 mileage @ 26k purchased non running California car. Top, hood, and trunk paint gone. Car was stored under a tarp and moisture ruined the paint. Interior is in excellent shape.
    1982 QP3 mileage @ 75k purchased non running but got it running after replacing both fuel pumps, emptying the fuel tank, replacing some hoses. Also had steering rack rebuilt. There were a few other things but I don't remember now. The carburetors need to be rebuilt. The interior is not in very good condition. There is rust atop the rear window and some on the wheel arches.
    The Biturbos
    1987 SI a rust bucket but good for parts as it is complete and has a beautiful set of wheels. Purchased as a non-runner.
    1989 430 In very nice shape but with a little rust on the wheel arches. Mileage @ 20,xxx. I drove several years ago into storage and it has been there all this time.
    I am sorry I don't have any pictures at this time. It is difficult to get good pictures when you have many cars close together.
    Looking forward to your comments.

12. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Maybe try putting them on BAT?

13. fortee9er

fortee9er Karting

Jun 28, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jorge Garcia
    Hi Bob Thanks for the suggestion.

14. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    Just bought a QP III at an online auction unseen. Wish me luck:) The car is an automatic and as I understand it is a standard Chrysler 727 gearbox?
    A quick google tells me that there are "ready to fit" upgrades to this gear box or even more modern gear boxes with four speeds and or overdrive that should fit. But I guess when they say fit, they mean american cars? Has anyone tried this? If so, which is the preferred option?

fleetwing and MK1044 like this.
  15. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Jorge, there is a for sale section here on F-Chat.

16. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    I've never modified mine, but at one point I was looking into making a conversion to a manual transmission. I tried to find the original application for this version of the Torqueflite. I think it is the LA engine version, as shown on the right below, but Maserati modified it by machining out a chunk on the passenger side to fit the starter and shaving the original starter extension on the driver's side to clear the steering rack. So - that means that switching to the A518 overdrive version would require modifying its bellhousing to match. However, Gearvendors makes an add-on overdrive that can presumably be added to the existing A727. I'd guess that internal modifications like shift kits and torque converter upgrades would be the same as for other A727s, but that's just speculation.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

fleetwing likes this.
  17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    We had a really crazy guy in the California Maserati club about 15 years ago who owned a string of grocery stores and was also a former drag racer. He bought a QP3 and fell in love with it then went about modifying it. He put nitrous on it then a supercharger and mad the thing run fast as hell. He also blew stuff up a lot but he didn't care because being a former drag racer he knew how to repair and modify everything for speed. Well he knew the torqueflight pretty well and he beefed it up quite a bit to handle the outrageous speed he got out of that car. I doubt he's available anymore, don't really know. At one point his retinas had dethatched from all the drag racing acceleration runs. He's probably in is 80's now. The point is there ARE people who can modify these transmission quite well. It's a very well practiced craft here in USA racing circlres. Here's one in northern NJ and I've been to this shop and they modify all sorts of trannys for racing all over the world. You might want to call them and see if they could help?

https://www.levelten.com/aboutus.asp

fleetwing and MrMark like this.
  18. FastFreddie

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    I haven't even got the car home yet so maybe it is a bit pre-mature. A few years back I owned a Khamsin with automatic gearbox, and that ruined the car. I know it is not the same and this chryster 727 is supposed to be better. Also the Qp 3 is a different kind of car. Maybe I will be happy with it the way it is.

19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well the Torqueflight can be tuned but it's still only a 3spd. The torque converter can also be tuned if need be.

fleetwing likes this.
  20. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    When I rebuilt the TF727 in my QP3 I upgraded with a TransGo kit (https://transgo.com/products/tf6-tf8-904-727/), offered faster shifting (less wear), manual shift mode and overall improvements to the stock valve body. Recommended.

Thor

MK1044 and staatsof like this.
  21. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    I'm pretty sure there's an overdrive option add-on for the 727, to add a "4th gear" on top for lower RPMs at cruising speeds. I looked into one that was a bolt on electrically controlled version designed for vintage Jaguars, but it required modification to the rear of the transmission tube so I dropped the idea.

F456M likes this.
  22. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    Gearvendors makes a couple for the 727, part numbers Part # 3DFS727A and # 3DFS731A.

fleetwing likes this.
  23. FastFreddie

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    Got the "new" QP home a couple of weeks ago. I like it a lot! I am surprised at how quiet it is at speed. It is also very different in feel compared to my other two. (QP-1 and Mistral) For now the earlier gearbox questions will have to wait. Some more urgent issues to sort first. Besides the gearbox is rebuilt just two years ago. It is not running cleanly so right now it is in the workshop for a thourough carburettor clean-up.

Unfortunately we discovered that one of the front springs were broke. Where to get them at a reasonable price? What I have seen so far is + 500 Euros for one. My car is a European car and I understand that there is a difference between Euro and US springs. Eurospares can only supply US spec. It is supposed to be harder. Will it work, or should I try to get Eu spec?

We also noticed that the propshaft support rubber bearing is worn and needs to be changed. I have done this many times on classic Alfas, seem to be a standard problem on them. The problem here is that it is not even in the spare parts catalogue. Only the bolts holding the bearing is listed. Very strange. Any ideas how to solve this?

24. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA