why are Ferrari buyers so hung up on low mileage? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

why are Ferrari buyers so hung up on low mileage?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by sunghyun7, Aug 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Well most is already written above, so not much to add except I see no point in just having a car standing still. Never worked before no matter which brand, it is just plain wrong.

I am closing in on 6 years with my FF - still going strong, and still no reason to change. I simply fail to find something that is as good as my FF is.

otakki, boxerman, 350MH83 and 2 others like this.
  2. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    Well 488 is a great car as long as u buy the late 2016 up which u already has update transmission.
    but 488 has an issue with Engine Sound, the Turbo steal the sound of it.. it sound like a normal 50k BMW around here.. it not a Exotic sound... lot of people in my country put exhaust on it, it only sound lounder but not nicer.. IMO, the 458 sound really nice but the car IMO look weirg .. 488 look much better.

so I think you should go with the Lamborghini, Aventador maybe, or even Huracan, they has different driving emotion, very reliable... I like the handling of the Lambo much more better than the Ferrari.

vraa and boxerman like this.
  3. Tienus

Tienus Rookie

Aug 14, 2016
    I think this is different in Europe. The cars for sale here have much higher mileage. The price drops after 20-30k KM’s aren’t that bad actually, maybe max 30k EUR. I did managed to get a 2016 with 24k KM this February. I’ve put on 6.5k KM since then. The enjoyment is much more valuable to me than the relatively small hit.

blkfxstc likes this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You're kidding right?

Compared to a 488, an Aventador drives like a double decker bus on marmalade wheels with a clunky transmission.

Then there's the obvious issue with bad ergonomics and lack of interior space in the Aventador. The Huracan is also lacking in interior space.

Reliable? The V10's are reliable, but I don't know any Aventador owner who have not had some kind of issue.

Sound? Yep, sounds like a BMW...:rolleyes:

5. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    You put approx/on avg 800 miles on each car?

6. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Yes, an average of 800 per car. My Dodge Viper ACR gets the least seat time at about 400 miles in the last year. It’s a little worrisome because I do have at least two more cars on the horizon (and STO next year, and a 812 GTS the following year).

vraa likes this.
  7. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    At that rate, you could go years without really understanding them, no? Savoring, not saving?

MidnightRun likes this.
  8. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    I'm thinking, every car got issue.. it just continuously happen .. or it cost a lot to fix or not..
    For me personally, I like the way Single Clutch trans do.. it just different style like u drive a old style manual car...
    for the Price of the 488, and for me personally, I really have bad experience with Aftermarket exhaust, I want my car sound nice right after it come out of the Factory. Aftermarket exhaust as I tried some car, they alway has Drone issue which drive me nut.. even my car.. I need to put back the original exhaust.. it lost F1 scream but at least it still sound nice.

one thing I don't like much about my F12 is it drive like old muscle car in 70's.. the car very easy to lost traction... other than that.. i'm really happy with it.. the quality and the craftsmanship of the car..and especially it dead quiet when you cruise it.. no wind noise.. I can make 350miles/day easy on hi way..

vraa and Napoli like this.
  9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I definitely understand them. I love my collection. There is no overlap whatsoever in driving characteristics between any of the cars (812, Pista, 765LT, 2005 Ford GT, 2017 Dodge Viper ACR). Each one has its unique bag of tricks. The low mileage is really a function of time. My drives are each around 50 miles on the backroads of NC. So figure 70-90 drives per year. That’s all the more I have time for.

10. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Didn’t mean you don’t understand what you have in each car. Maybe “get used to the nuances of each car” would be a more appropriate phrase. Cars at this level need seat time in order for the driver to wheel with confidence and know the unique temperaments and bounds within.

boxerman and -K1- like this.
  11. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    True enough! However, currently time is even more precious than currency. I am lucky to have the seat time that I do. Perhaps, several years from now when the nest is empty.

sandstrs, vraa, boxerman and 2 others like this.
  12. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Good point, though the single clutch gives a unique experience to the vehicle and is, especially on the higher degree iterations, raw and raucous adding to the experience viscerally. The 488 and Aventador drive overtly differently--no one can debate that. These are not even cars to compare as anything at all. Not even close on the same level of platform or cross shopping. One is huge, the other smaller, then the gearbox aggressive vs seamless, and then the sound differences. Perhaps the BMW analogy is going too far, but there is a difference no question on sound. And throwing any Novitec on any Ferrari or other make (even the turbo versions) will be a great add on modification, so the Novitec Pista is not exactly a stock to stock comparison. I know many do not mind the 488 stock sound, but many others do dislike it as they would the McLaren turbo sounds and either seek to mod it or choose otherwise.
    My own experience is that the interior space of a Huracan and Aventador is not lacking for the same purposes that I would use a 2 door Ferrari for. So I don't know what your typical mission profile is when driving your cars, but they are all compact in a sense.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well the sound is almost identical if you install the full Novi exhaust on the 488 vs. the Pista.

My point with the space has to do with the ergonomics. It's not about the practical aspects. The cabin in the Aventador is properly small, smaller than the Huraan, and if it's a Spider, both are pretty hopeless. I'm 181 cm and 75 kg, so not fat nor strangely tall. I fit fine in a 488, but best with race seats as the electric seats kind of makes me sit a bit high. Now the Huracan is kind of okay in the coupé but only just, and the Spider is a no-go as I need the seat all the way back, and yet don't fit properly. The Aventador is even worse, and I cannot for the life of me understand how they made such a large car so small. An Aventador drop top is just something I cannot ever fit in properly, no matter how hard I try. Sure I can scrounge down etc. but I can't "fit". I can actually fit in a 488 Spider fitted with electric seats while wearing a helmet, but I can't do that in a Lambo.

14. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Yes you are right on the Novitec on 488 vs Pista. It can do wonders on both and is a great setup.
    Agreed on the electric seats...those do cut down on the vertical for some, especially the taller of us. I think the helmet does start to encroach as you are talking about. Never done that in them so have been fine, but this can be a limiter. Thankfully I never use the cars on the track so haven't run into this, but can see the point. In most 99.9% driving circumstances, I haven't had a problem being 6'2" but different bodies can make a difference.

15. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    You do not have enough free time.

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

its an investment doncha know, and affirmation of sucess, not for really using, and mileage over 10k depreciates value faster.
    Plus your average new fcar owner wouldnt know how to add washer fluid let alone change the oil, in which case paying for service is expensive. Its ironic because many services need to be done yearly so you're not saving on that by not driving, its all about investrment value.

And yes there is a fiun value in driving which should easily exceed and percieved depreciation, but how many facars are really driven in such a manner.

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

the older ones if dirven are far more robust and reliable. Neighbours cali blew the dct at 17k miles he was told they all do that. A 308 Tr etc they can easily go 100k miles or more with regular maintance.

18. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    i doubt any actual owner buys Ferrari's for "investment". it may be a fairy tale you tell your significant other (or yourself) for misdirection. it may be something an aspiring owner may think based on popular youtube videos. if it happens, great. if not, it's expected. No soul ever said or thought I'm buying this Ferrari to beat the s&p500.

having said that, minimizing cost of ownership may be of interest to many. I guess I was just peeved when I learned my frequent trips to Homedepot in my F12 to buy and return pvc pipes to get $2 dollar back on my credit card costed me $30k in resale value and $60 in gas. was my drive to homedepot worth $30,058 dollars? it's hard to say. it ain't an easy answer.

RossoF8 likes this.
  19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Buy the car new and then run that scenario again..

20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I think of my net worth as my liquid investments; not houses, watches, art or cars. The moment I buy a car it is valued as zero dollars in my “number.” It is true that when I was grabbing keys to go for a drive I only infrequently grabbed those for the 16M because it is a numbered car, and that really bothered me.

21. Mark Blanchard

Mark Blanchard Karting

Nov 26, 2020
    UK, Oxfordshire
    Full Name:
    Mark Blanchard
    On the flip side, I bought my 360 for a good price as it had 43,000 miles on the clock. So thankful it had some miles on it, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to buy one.

22. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    The more you drive your car, the cheaper each mile costs you.

vraa likes this.
  23. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    i've always thought it was odd that americans were afraid of high mileage when the country is absolutely gigantic

24. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    #49 rumen1, Aug 24, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    Still, 95% of the people (me included) will have an Aventador over a 488 any day. There is just no comparison between an entry level Ferrari and a flagship Lambo (especially if they are these two). And I say that as a Ferrari fanatic.

As for the mileage - I always preferred high mileage cars, because they develop less problems and you get the same car for much less money. :)

Loxo likes this.
  25. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    Plenty of people buy as an investment or at least a usable way to enjoy money. Same with Rolex and Patek and art and real estate.