why are Ferrari buyers so hung up on low mileage? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

why are Ferrari buyers so hung up on low mileage?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by sunghyun7, Aug 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    If you care so much about the money when buying an exotic, you either don't have them enough or maybe you don't love cars too much.

But I don't see how a high mileage car is not an investment anyway. You will probably still get the money you paid for the car. BUT you will drive it and enjoy it. And you can't drive a Rolex or a painting. But actually this whole mileage nonsense is a great thing, because people like me can get great cars for great money.

Shack and George Vosburgh like this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I'm sorry, but 95% of which group? Without any proof or actual explanation of who you are talking about, that first statement is total nonsense.

I personally know plenty of people who could purchase an Aventador along with their 488 or instead of it, myself included, who wouldn't even consider an Aventador. And? Proves nothing.

It's hard to know excatly how many of each has been sold, but the Aventador has been around as long as the 458, 488 and F8 combined, and yet the Aventador has sold about 10000 units this far. That's fewer units than 488's alone. Entry level Ferrari? Not really. That's the Porto and Roma segment.
    But sure, let's talk V12. Just between the F12 and 812 alone, Ferrari has sold more cars than Lambo has sold Aventadors. And that's despite all the dealer games the US Ferrari dealers played on their clients. Anyone can order an Aventador anywhere, but the same cannot be said for the V12 Ferrari. Lambo was not in a position to control demand of the Aventador, they sell it if you want one. Ferrari was in a position to keep demand higher than cars produced, and thus people were ready to jump through hoops to get an allocation.

Ferrari sold over 15000 488's in half the time it took Lamborghini to sell 10000 Aventadors. Let's be real. Most people who can swing a 488, or now F8, can also swing an Aventador, and yet much fewer Aventadors have been sold over an 11 year period.

Taking all of this into consideration, please explain how you reach the conclusion that 95% of ??? Would rather want an Aventador. Because if it is 95 % of supercar buyers who buy new, you are quite wrong it would seem.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Easy. Ask any person you want, no matter if it's a car guy, a Ferrari guy, a Lambo guy, or just a random guy, who doesn't understand anything about cars at all. Almost all of them would probably choose the Aventador. I don't see why are we trying to twist the facts here. Sold units prove nothing, as there are many factors to consider there, as price, availability, factory capabilities, etc. And no, the prices even now are not the same, as Aventadors are still much more expensive than 488s. That fact also proves a lot of what people prefer and what people are ready to spend most money for. Simple as that.

4. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    #4 & #6 are my reasons.
    I have some I drive and all are art to me. I like my cars PERFECT.

Solid State likes this.
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think there are several issues involved here and they are linked

I think Ferrari did a study and the typical new buyer has like 5 cars. Maybe its 3 cars but it wouldn't surprise me. One DD for him and the wife, and maybe a toy like a Ferrari. And as DD's, most Ferrari's are more of a PITA than worth the drive at 25MPH to the office. No place to park it, too nice to leave anywhere, worried about an accident, etc. So they are fun or weekend cars to be enjoyed and then back into the SUV -- unless its raining that weekend or snow or ice on the ground in which case, you leave it in the garage that week.

And as true cross country GT's, maybe you do this once a year by car or maybe once every 3 years. Most SUV's are far more comfortable for a cross country trip. Yes, the Ferrari is more fun but its also more of a hassle.

Lastly is visibility. Some don't like the attention. They like driving the car but don't like the attention it gets. You knew you were going to get this before buying but after a while it can be annoying or even alarming.

So what you end up with is a lot of low mileage cars simply because of the circumstances.

Then when you as an owner look at the resale of cars, they seem like they are all low mileage with just a few extra thousand miles discounting a car 10's of thousands. What other cars out there would be considered "high mileage" when they pass 10k in 4 years? So, those worried about depreciation from mileage or an idiot running into you causing a black mark on Carfax, they keep it at home more to protect it.

RossoF8 likes this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #56 Il Co-Pilota, Aug 24, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    Nonsense. You are making assumptions based off of your own opinion, not facts.

Also don't twist my words. I never said that they cost the same. I said that most who can afford to throw 375-425 usd after an F8, or 488 in the past, can also afford to throw 475-525 after an Aventador.

Reality is that whether you talk V8 or V12 cars, Ferrari sell more. And yes, sold units matter. Sold units reflect what people want. If such a large percentage of supercar buyers would prefer an Aventador, don't you think the numbers would look different? Those numbers represent those people you are talking about, including those who cannot afford the car, because the units sold represents what people buy when they can afford the cars.

Here's something else you need to consider when you include the majority who cannot afford these cars. There's a big difference between asking someone who are not playing with real money and someone who is. You may have all sorts of grand and crazy ideas when all you have is fantasy, but it becomes a whole different ballgame once you have to put real money on the table and live with the car. People go and see it, take it out for a drive, and then proceed to choose something else. Forget the 488 or F8 for a second and let us just talk V12. Then at least we are playing the same money game. Again people choose Ferrari over Lambo.

So V12 or V8. What actually proves that 95% wants the Aventador? Unlike Ferrari, people aren't fighting for allocations. If we were debating whether it was half, 60/40 or what ever number like that, I'd be more inclined to say perhaps. But you are saying 5% don't want it but everybody else do. Can't you see how far that number is in relation to actual cars sold? Ferrari sell the most no matter the price point, and yet you want use to believe that there are twenty times as many people who want the Aventador?

You can slice it and spin it which ever way you like, but that does not add up.

7. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    #57 rumen1, Aug 25, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    Since you obviously have been taken too many Red Bulls today and you obviously have too much spare time in your hands, I don't want to continue with this highly off-topic discussion , nevertheless it is obviously with worldwide importance to you. Mainly because you have nothing serious to say, actually. I hope that you will finally sleep well tonight after smashing my arguments with so many well documented and proven facts. As for me - losing so much time for arguing with internet warriors was never my specialty, so I prefer to do other, most import things, which are... everything else.

P.S. - The last time that I remember hating Lambo, because they are a Ferrari competitor, was when I was 10. Just sayin'.

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    What rubbish.
    @Il Co-Pilota is completely correct. No, “most people” of all walks of life do not defacto prefer an Aventador to a 488 (or similar). They are completely different cars that appeal to different people depending upon their tastes and intended use.
    That is so self-evident it beggars belief it needs to be stated to you.
    You say something patently foolish, Il Co-Pilota quite reasonably and rationally counters you and then you come back with ad hominem attacks about him drinking too much Red Bull, have nothing serious to say, and your time is so much more important because—you know—you do important things all the time. Despite that fact you started this off topic lunacy with precisely the kind of statement a 10 year old would actually make.

yorkshiredale, Oitbc, dcmetro and 5 others like this.
  9. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    #59 rumen1, Aug 25, 2021
    Hah, correcting me how? By stating V12 Ferrari production numbers or total brand's production numbers? Argument was about 488 and Aventador only (NOT "OR SIMILAR"). Not Ferrari vs Lambo. And it was about all people, not just people, who write in this forum. Most of the car enthusiasts can't affort neither, but they were the main part about what I stated in my comment. And they don't apply to the number of units sold, don't they? And yes - production is different for models, that have a 100 000+ Euro difference in their sticker price. The potential of the Lambo factory is also much smaller than Ferrari. Also as I stated - the fact that Aventador is still much more expensive than a 488 on the second hand market proves it all. Period.

Damn, I thought some people here are more open-minded. But you can believe what you want, really. It's not the most important thing in my life to try to convince anyone here about anything. And no, I didn't start the off-topic lunacy at all, but thank you for your valuable inclusion.

Loxo likes this.
  10. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    #60 430jm, Aug 25, 2021
    Why is an Aventador a comparable for a 488? Maybe an 812.

rumen1 likes this.
  11. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    "Now, back to our regularly scheduled program"

Thecadster likes this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You know exactly what I meant with my examples, and I'm not going to spend more time arguing. If you want to believe that the world wants a V12 Lambo, more power to you. I have time, but not for this.

Not all of us agree, I suppose we must be in the 5%.

As @KenU said "Back to the regular scheduled program".

Thanks @italiafan. Much appreciated.

13. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I'm not the one to ask this question. If you look earlier in the thread, I said the exact same thing - that they are not comparable.

Anyway, piece everybody.

14. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    I think it's becoming less of an issue as the cars have becoming both increasingly reliable and practically drivable with each successive generation. Personally speaking, I care far more about getting the right spec than having a car with less mileage. I would actually prefer to buy a car that has been regularly driven and well maintained.

430jm, otakki, GatedMurci and 4 others like this.
  15. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    As a rental, for the day.

350MH83, RamsHmb and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  16. Carl A

Carl A Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2021
    Surrey U.K.
    Full Name:
    Carl Abernethy
    When I was in the market for a car, I drove Ferrari's, Lambo's, McClarens to choose. I chose not to purchase a Lambo for the following -

1) Garners way too much attention for me. I get that for some this is part of the ownership
    2) I found the transmission and power delivery way too clunky
    3) Styling - Whilst I had one on my bedroom wall when I was 12, the reality was not for me
    4) Cabin space seriously compromised

Just my opinion here and facts as to why I chose a Ferrari.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Exactly. Dreams are great but it becomes a whole new ballgame once it gets real.

italiafan and ewright like this.
  18. NA_V12

NA_V12 Rookie

Aug 1, 2021
    FL, USA
    I chose Ferrari for the same reasons.
    For me, Lamborghini is fun as a rental and Ferrari is the one to buy and keep.

19. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I thought i was a lambo guy
    Drove a gallardo once and was shocked how ****ty the interior was and how uncomfortable the seats were
    Have had no interest since

Ferrari on the other hand, so much drama and emotion, loved it
    This is a drivers car!

italiafan, ewright, ag512bbi and 2 others like this.
  20. migg48

migg48 Karting

Jul 7, 2006
    To the original question…mileage…I have always driven my Ferraris (and my Lamborghinis). I’ve owned 7 Ferraris, all Enzo era cars from the 60’s and 70’s. I may just have the luck of the Irish, but my cars have all been extremely reliable. I used to take my 4-cam from SoCal to the Colorado River for the weekend. I drove a 330GTS to Seattle and back. Never thought a thing about it.

FerRrari, italiafan and Thecadster like this.
  21. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Don't know about y'all, but if I were in the market for a Huracan, I'd pick a R8 instead.

italiafan and SecretSquirrari like this.
  22. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    I've been thinking about this discussion for a week since reading it before. This raised some interesting buying tendencies among owners, in spite of the back and forth created about the two brands. I actually find it an interesting discussion, as I and a few others seem to have their feet in both sides of the aisles of these two car brands down the street from one another in Italy. I think the factors are that Lamborghini is a more polarizing brand de facto on the surface and thus garners a certain type of attention because of the styling and so forth, but that almost avant garde element also creates distaste in probably the majority of eventual buyers as it is so different stylistically. My personal account is that a number of years ago I never found myself fond of the brand or even the Aventador looks, probably in retrospect because of the reasons I just noted. Too brutal, too different, too much concept looking, only what ballers/NBA/musicians get. Until eventually I did like it alot and the rest is history I guess. It's odd as I reflect on it but my impressions were only skin deep and did not examine the driving experience or ethos of the experience, which was my error in judgment. There is no doubt that no one can say with certainty that one prefers an Aventador over an F12 or 812 etc. I think this gets down to population demographics and beyond, which is actually very interesting I would say. The Ferrari brand is well known to be one of the strongest identities in marketing, so higher volume is not surprising, and higher production capacity is also not surprising and resultant purchases over other brands. Too often this dialogue turns into a perceived competition between the two. It should not be. Design and drive and appointments are very different, yet surely have some common themes. I, too, had either wanted or had a poster or cutouts as a kid of Lambos/Ferraris. But I think that the reasons more buy Ferrari is a more complicated discussion than just dream vs. reality of making that decision. It involves many sources of influence, age of buyer, driving preferences, requirements of certain styling elements (interior in particular), heritage and love of certain flavors.

italiafan likes this.
  23. Carl A

Carl A Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2021
    Surrey U.K.
    Full Name:
    Carl Abernethy
    For me this was a big factor also in fairness....

If I could have afforded one in my 20's/30's I probably would have bought one. When I could finally purchase one, I was too old to circumnavigate getting in

24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Yes, the Lambo was on many boys’ bedroom walls at age 12.
    But, as mentioned by others above, when it comes time to put down money on a car you a) think is gorgeous, b) drives beautifully, c) your spouse may want to join you going to club/dinner/sight seeing, d) relatively reliable, e) has a history and a racing pedigree you cherish when watching F1 and GT racing, f) doesn’t single you out as a “look at me here, over the top” sort of person...then the Ferrari becomes the obvious choice for many highly successful professional type people in their middle age (when they have achieved enough success to afford one).
    It is not a simple calculus.

migg48, Texas2step, otakki and 3 others like this.
  25. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    1. I like the attention - Tick
    2. Transmission and power delivery on the Performante was fantastic - Tick
    3. Performante bonkers styling - Tick
    4. Nothing wrong with cabin space in the Perf but then I am not big - Tick

Guess I like Lambo's

Oh and I would have an STO anyday before an F8

Thecadster likes this.