Traveling to Oahu | FerrariChat

Traveling to Oahu

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by rdefabri, Aug 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'll be visiting Oahu soon, but it looks like there is some speculation that non-essential travel will be halted.

Is there any truth to it? I know there's already some restrictions on outdoor gatherings and masks are required indoors, but I'd be shocked if they stopped all non-essential travel.

2. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
  3. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  4. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I do not believe Hawaii has ever 'closed' its airports to non-essential travel at all.

The most restrictive was the mandatory 14 day quarantine regardless, for instance

https://therealdeal.com/national/2020/12/06/hawaii-tightens-rules-for-visitors-to-kauai/

That's typically sufficient to prevent tourism, and probably the path that would be taken, so I doubt 'complete restriction' will occur.

rdefabri likes this.
  5. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Just you, or you and your family? Beware of large gatherings because the bulk of our Covid cases have been from community spread. Have a rental car lined up if you need one, because the market is overheated. The Gov is looking at transpacific travel, but really can't do anything about it. Plus, he really has no balls to do anything. Our Lt. Gov is asking for lots of things regarding Covid because he is on the front lines as an ER doc, but he and the Gov do not see eye to eye. There have been talks of a curfew, and shutting down beaches and parks.

Just come and enjoy yourself, but be careful.

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  6. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It's me and my family. We have a car lined up, and we'll mostly keep to ourselves. I'm not overly worried given I'm vaccinated, but my kids aren't. We all had COVID previously though.

7. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Then your antibodies should be fine. Have fun and enjoy. Don't be surprised if some attractions are closed.

8. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    rdefabri likes this.
  9. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    That's September 13. You will need to have a copy of your vax card to enter bars/restaurants/gyms/theaters... If you don't have a vax card, you will need a negative Covid 19 test within the last 48 hours.

10. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #10 Dicecal, Sep 6, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    Don’t bother, I’m here now. Never have seen soo much filth, marijuana use and homeless folks with their junk exposed. At least bypass Waikiki, leaving early…

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Anybody visiting Oahu with great expectations will be disappointed. I love the Big Island but even here we have homeless camps along certain highways. Thank the Church groups that buy one way tickets for vagrants to get rid of them.

nmcclure likes this.
  12. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Just got back and had a great time. Upload your vaccine passport to the state website, get the wristband at the airport and go! It's a breeze

13. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Things are tightening up throughout the state. Hawaii starts its digital Smart Health app tomorrow. On Oahu (Sept 13) and Maui (Sept 15) , you will need that to enter restaurants, gyms and attractions. You can also carry your vax card or Covid19 negative test result in the last 48 hours.

14. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Actually, you can go into a restaurant and stay for 15 minutes without a vax card. So this would allow carry-out presumably. What I've seen is that most restaurants have just closed their dining rooms altogether, so they can avoid checking for vax cards. They probably don't have the labor resources to do that anyway. That's a shame because many dining rooms had been closed all this time, and recently opened back up this summer only to close down again.

Also, Hawaii is one of those highly vaxed states that has seen a recent spike in cases. Most likely due to the vaccine itself, which is making matters worse.

15. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    JTSE30 likes this.
  16. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I've been to Oahu twice, last time just a few weeks ago. Waikiki is like LA. Get out of Waikiki and go to the North Shore - it's amazing. I have a new found respect for Oahu, and I'm sorry I missed it the last few times I've been to Hawaii.

JTSE30 likes this.
  17. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Make time to visit Velocity, the Ferrari dealership.

18. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Audi, Maserati, Lotus, Lamborghini... You can see some of our homeless right across the street fron Velocity. lol