458 - Pirelli P-Zero Catastrophic Tire Failure on Highway in 458 *photos* | FerrariChat

458 Pirelli P-Zero Catastrophic Tire Failure on Highway in 458 *photos*

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Aug 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    #1 FerrariCognoscenti, Aug 25, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    First, I’m okay and the car is fine. Today my right rear Pirelli P-Zero tire experienced a catastrophic spontaneous failure with the sidewall totally separating from the rest of the tire and the wheel at highway speed approximately 55mph.

The tire is approximately one year old and has about 5,000 miles on it. There were no punctures or any other issues with this tire prior to the incident and I never hit anything, it was an unexpected and spontaneous failure of the tire with no warning prior to it occurring.

The tire damaged the edge of the diffuser, which I consider to be quite minor and the car is otherwise fine. I do not know if the wheel is damaged and will let Ferrari evaluate the wheel. I’m very lucky that there was no other damage, no accident, and I wasn’t hurt.

I will be reporting this failure to Pirelli NA tomorrow as the failure was completely unexpected and spontaneous at highway speeds, which could have been deadly for myself and others. I’ll keep you guys updated on their response.

I now know how Max Verstappen felt in Baku.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Depreciating Asset

Depreciating Asset Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Wow, glad you and the car are (mostly) OK. And kudos for the great attitude about a near disaster!

LVP488 and Viperjoe like this.
  3. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    First, glad you are ok :)

That must of been quite a shock!

I have a theory as to what occurred.

Based on this image zoom:

I noticed the "red" marked area, the rubber is quite 'roughed up' but the "yellow" marked area is smooth.

The "red box" is the DOT date code, appears to be 1119, or eleventh week of 2019, that is when the tire was manufactured.

What would cause the tire to be roughed up on the "shoulder" but not inward.

Also notice, the "tear line" follows the wheel, that is a big clue as to what occurred.

Two possibilities:

(a) a lot of positive camber, besides that being intentionally aligned that way, positive camber can be caused by control arm problems, bad wheel bearing, bad ball joint, sagging spring, and other suspension problems;

(b) low pressure, tire pressure under 22 pounds would cause the tire to "ride on the shoulders", both in and outside shoulders and other than neutral camber, the tire "lean" will dictate which tire shoulder is worn (negative = inside tire shoulder; positive = outside tire shoulder)

In either case, for the blow out shown, it would likely take several hundred miles of driving that way, maybe even more than a 1000 miles before the tire would sufficiently fatigue and destruct.

I would encourage you to have your dealer thoroughly inspect the suspension at all 4 corners to ensure your car is coherent.

Let us know what you find.

4. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Glad you're ok. Period. Given it was at high-speed in Hw, the rest is minor...

Viperjoe likes this.
  5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Glad you're okay.

What tire pressure do you typically run and how often do you check it?

My vote also goes to low tire pressure causing the failure.

Ray

cole328 and Texas2step like this.
  6. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I once had a Michelin self destruct on my wife's minivan several years ago. The tires were fairly new, and no uneven wear. The best part is that I know 100% that it wasn't due to low tire pressure because we were leaving for a vacation that day, so I checked the cold pressures on all the tires before we left, and they were perfect. 10 minutes into the trip, on the highway, the sidewall self destructed. No puncture, and no low pressure. I'm guessing it was just a factory defect on the sidewall.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What does the date code on the tyre say? Age is not determined by when you bought the tyre, but rather when it was manufactured.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The PZero(not PZ4) is known for developing cracks in the sidewall on cars that see little and infrequent use. They are also notorious for flat spotting. But even after two years it is not uncommon to see small cracks due to static noading and drying.

I would never run a PZero for this reason and events like these are the result. Garbage tyres with poor quality control. Some speculate that this is one of the issues associated with Pirelli going Chinese a few years back. They are manufactured in Italy, but it is ChinaChem who's behind the wheel.

See what you can get out of Pirelli and move on. Get a set of MPS4S shoes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Glad you’re okay, very scary...would have been quite different Outcome on a tree-lined country road at 125mph. :eek:

(@JTSE30 your sleuthing skills are fantastic! :))

JTSE30 likes this.
  10. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Glad your ok! I had a tire pop on me in a work car and was quite scary

Forgive me for not reading it all, is the rim ok??

11. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    My shop called and said Michelin Pilot Soorts are sold out for the 458 Italia standard wheel size for the fronts! Does anyone know a source for them?

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
  13. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Ferrari&autoYear=2010&autoModel=458+Italia&autoModClar=&frontWidth=235/&frontRatio=35&frontDiameter=20&frontSortCode=59853&rearWidth=295/&rearRatio=35&rearDiameter=20&rearSortCode=60157

shows available in November, but Kumho's are available now...

otherwise you would need to hunt around to see if any tire dealer has them, might check Canadian tire dealers, they may have them

14. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Pirelli refused to discuss anything specific over the phone, took my email, and then sent me a canned email from their legal department basically absolving themselves of any responsibility.

They then sent a claim form that is longer than my entire estate plan that they want filled out, which would take days.

Extremely disappointed in how Pirelli is handling this. Their option to pass this off to their legal department and then stifle me with legalese after such an incident will guarantee I never spend another dime on a Pirelli product for the rest of my time on the road.

Out of genuine concern for my and others safety after what I experienced with this failure, I can never recommend a Pirelli tire in good conscience to anyone.

Streetsurfer likes this.
  15. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    That is disappointing, what exactly did you say to them? That is probably what sent you to their legal department.

However, given your photos, I think the failure is not in the tire, it is either one or more broken suspension components or severe underinflation... The tire simply did the best it could given the conditions it was subjected to. Any tire by any manufacturer would of failed at some point given the situation I believe occurred.

Even if Pirelli said "here's a new tire", it is imperative you do not drive the car until your Ferrari dealer has fully inspected the suspension and corrected all problems. Until you identify and correct the original problem that caused the tire to fail, it will happen again.

Now, for instance, if the tire had delaminated (treads fell off) then that would be a warranty replacement as that would have nothing to do with a suspension failure...

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No sure what in those photos make you think it's the case. Also for a suspension to be the cause, it would have to be SEVERELY damaged and pretty much render the car undrivable.

Like I said, the PZero has know to quickly show sidewall cracks, so that has to be taken into consideration. If it was caused by low pressure, it would also mean the car was very compromised to start with, looking at how "high" up the sidewall the failure is.

This look like a classic sidewall failure due to a weakness in the tyre.

But of course the alignment should be checked after this incident.

I do think you are being a bit presumptions when you so absolutely say that it HAS to be low pressure or a major problem with the suspension.

I don't like Pirelli for exactly their issues with weak sidewalls.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No surprises there. They don't give a hoot.

18. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I have no idea what happened, but, that does not change anything I wrote.

I specifically indicated the car must be examined and verified in good working order.

However, from the picture I zoomed in, I would say I have a high likelihood of being correct in my assumptions. The distortion in the surface of the tire is not the result of a defect in the tire construction (if it were the tire would much more likely wear unevenly, even to "come off in chunks" rather than a continuous abrased appearance). If the sidewall was going to "give way" it would do so regardless of the tire surface condition. What led the tire surface to distort in that manner suggests the problem that occurred.

Had the tire surface wear been entirely consistent across the tire I believe a defect in the tire would be the more likely cause.

AClark likes this.
  19. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    My car was inspected in depth by Ferrari this morning. Alignment and the suspension was perfectly fine, no issues with the car whatsoever.

pdxjim488 likes this.
  20. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    JTSE30 I see where you are going and understand your thought process.

Wouldn't one also want to see the condition of the other 3 tires?

The owner could be an aggressive driver and what we are seeing on the one tire is simply the results of a previous spirited drive.

I am also curious if the Dealership finds any foreign objects or signs of puncture during their inspection.

Ferraricognoscenti , wouldnt the Dealership have had to mount a tire on your rim to established that the alignment was OK?

I’m intrigued as well what the actual failure ends up being.

A

marknkidz and MANDALAY like this.
  21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Im glad to see you and car to be fine.

I can see your frustration with Pirelli.

But you haven't responded to the theories that could have caused this.

Have you played around with the alignment ? Have you done any modification ? Did the tires have flat spots ? These will all have effects on the tires.

IMO best to comment on that before worrying about others safety with regards to Pirelli dont you think ?

22. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Then the next step would be to work with the company the tire was purchased from and see if they can help, they should have more authority to deal with Pirelli since they directly purchase from them, if nothing else, get you a new tire at no cost.

23. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Did Ferrari of Washington also check the tire?

Looks like maybe it had a puncture (nail/screw):

24. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    The car is completely stock, I typically cruise in 7th gear and am not an aggressive driver at all, I have never adjusted the alignment or done anything to the car since buying it CPO from Ferrari 6 months ago, and I have never tracked the car. The tires did not have flat spots or any other damage.