A5 Grade Wagyu Ribeye Steak.....from Costco? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

A5 Grade Wagyu Ribeye Steak.....from Costco?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Shark01, Jun 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Welcome Mark,
    Just checked the CC price to compare with what we bought....with 20% off it was still $13/lb more than we paid.....question for you, do they have free shipping?

But you can buy in less quantity, so we will consider it next time.

So you came for the steak, hopefully you stay for the Ferrari discussions

2. Focusyn

Focusyn Rookie

May 26, 2021
    They give free shipping at $149 for non-members and $99 for subscription members. Their prices do deviate a lot based on market, and that's really cheap for Costco; that Costco deal is usually $1199 where I live and goes on sale for $999 so $800 is a steal, but my last Kagoshima order from CC was a pair of A5 whole rib caps, and it came out to just over $40 per pound and shipped free. Plus, I paid for I think 4.5 lbs and what I got weighed out to 5.25 approximately.

I actually came for the cars. I rent them in Vegas constantly but havent owned one yet. Thinking about it one of these days so I'm lurking here to get a better idea what the real ownership experience is like. The 458 spider is my favorite car I've ever driven, period.

Shark01 likes this.
  3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Thanks for the intel......hope you can get the ownership experience someday. One of the cars I drove last year was a 458, but it wasn’t for me. Drove a Huracan the same day and that was just boatloads of fun. Lots of good choices in that $150-$250k power band.

Ended up buying a 2005 Ford GT before they exploded in price (again). Incredible car to drive, the last of a bygone era. Plus the money I saved can keep me in Wagyu for a lifetime.....LOL

tomc and Focusyn like this.
  4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Now that's how you do a first post! :)

Welcome as @Shark01 said, and as someone who jumped feet first into the F lifestyle a little over 5 years ago (1st gen Cali), all I can say is, go for it! It's been an awesome experience. 458 Spider is a gorgeous car, and there's a wealth of knowledge on F-chat, so you can go into the purchase decision with eyes wide open...T

PureEuroM3 and Focusyn like this.
  5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That looks awesome. What's in the top container in the 1st pic? Wasabi, flavored butter, ???
    T

sltillim likes this.
  6. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I was just at Costco today and saw they had Wagyu steaks. I think that's the first time I've noticed them. They were frozen but for some reason looked grey to me. I looked at a couple but close to $200 for two rib eye steaks was more than I wanted to spend.

7. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    Wasabi would have been great! One of them was a truffle butter - it was the only one that mattered!

tomc likes this.
  8. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    A lot to parse here...Japanese Wagyu is different than American Wagyu. Our Wagyu in Texas is cross-bred with Angus. The Japanese don't believe it's as good but the density of the beef and the marbling are similar. With respect to buying it at Costco or elsewhere I personally don't like the frozen cuts because when they thaw the blood drains out. My new favorite way to cook them is the reverse way where you slow cook at 225 degrees to 140 degrees (internal temp) or so (less if you like rare, more if you like medium+) and then sear them in an iron skillet a minute or so on each side. Tender and juicy...actually just had one tonight with a nice cabernet....

tomc likes this.
  9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Rick...Do you know if the akaushi offered by HeartBrand is also cross-bred with Angus? Thanks...T

10. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Bumping. Was at Costco this morning, and they had these A5 thin sliced chuck roll steaks. Since it’s my sons 18th birthday tomorrow, decided to grab a pack to celebrate. There will be 6 of us, so I think this should be plenty of meat.

First time cooking Wagyu. To cook, I assume salt & pepper seasoning and a quick sear (30 seconds?) in a hot cast iron pan?

Any other suggestions? I think you can also cook Shabu Shabu, but not sure I want to go that route.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Happy birthday to your son, Dom.

He's an 18 year old male though, and you think that's enough for 6 people? :p;)

Dom likes this.
  12. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks!

Lol, maybe I better go out and pick up another package…

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  13. Level7

Level7 Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    PA
    Full Name:
    Level7
    I am attaching the method from the Wall Street Journal that I always follow - the trick is to adjust the timing based on the size and number of steaks that you are cooking.

Happy Birthday to your son!

Attached Files:

Texas Forever and Dom like this.
  14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    thin? tough to cook without overcooking

Dom likes this.
  15. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks. Yes, that’s the technique I’ve seen used.

I know, that’s the issue. Unfortunately, this was the only Wagyu available at my Costco this morning. I’ve seen the 2 packs of A5 ribeyes previously, but they were nowhere to be found this morning.

I do have a big green egg, and wonder if it might be possible to cook them Yakiniku style in there. But I’m still thinking cast iron may be the way to go, but make it very very hot and very quick sear.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  16. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    With the pieces sliced that thin, it seems like Shabu Shabu or Ishiyaki stone grilled are the best options. Cast iron is probably the best proxy. Shabu isn’t my favorite way to eat this fantastic meat FWIW.

17. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Ok, we did it and it was great. Here’s my observations/experience for those interested.

Meat was sliced really thin, though there was a nice big piece, maybe 1/2 cm thick at the bottom. More about that piece later.

Searing was super fast because they were so thin. I put my pan on the biggest burner at highest heat for fast searing. I would put a piece in the pan, wait maybe 10 seconds, then flip with a spatula as soon as the pan released the meat. The downside is that some pieces could have been a little more “browned” and were cooked well done, but they were still good according to the wife, kids, and mother in law.

Oh what a mess. Grease splatter all over the place. Also, a ton of smoke that set off the smoke alarm a couple times. Even with fans and windows open. I wound up cooking the meat in batches to help with the smoke. I had considered trying to setup the pan in my grill outside, but was afraid I wouldn’t be able to get it hot enough due to the distance between the coals and the grill grates. Next time, maybe I will try it on the grill.

The big piece on the bottom I saved for last. Cut it in half to share with my son. This piece turned out amazing, since it had a chance to sear, while still having the inside medium rare. I would have preferred rare inside, but the piece just wasn’t thick enough.

2 lbs of meat was plenty for the 6 of us (me, wife, 3 kids and mother in law). Everyone felt “meated out”. We had just a tiny bit leftover, so the dog got very lucky tonight.

I wish Costco had the packs of ribeyes that I had seen previously. These were 2 ribeyes, vacuum packed like the stuff I got, and were selling for about $200. Maybe a pound each. But thicker than the stuff I just cooked. We’ve got some more birthdays coming up in a few months, so hopefully will get lucky for one of those.

tomc, Level7, TexasF355F1 and 2 others like this.
  18. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    For those of you in the San Francisco Bay Area, NIKU butcher shop and restaurant sells fresh A5 from several different areas of Kobe flown in weekly. Cut to order and imperial waygu from this country along 45+ days dry aged meats, Berkshire pork, Tsar Nicoliar caviar…. Check it out! Guy, the owner is great!…checkout the restaurant too!.nice wine list!…In dog patch area of S.F….

19. vegasoul

vegasoul Rookie

Apr 26, 2016
  20. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    Here is my $.02 on the Wagyu hype...
    I'll say up front I am a fan of SRF but acknowledge that what they sell is very different from true imported Japanese wagyu. I've done several comparisons and tastings across several types of beef and (like cars) each have their place.

That said, it DEPENDS on what you are looking for. If you want a "traditional" American-style grilled steak, I personally prefer a dry aged Prime beef cut. Real tried and true dry aging is a variable outside of the breed of beef, and adds extra flavor and tenderness. Yes, this technique can be applied to wagyu cuts too, but it becomes a matter of diminishing returns. I once dry aged a SRF gold grade strip loin with great results but wouldn't recommend it or do it again. That doesn't even get into "true" dry aging vs the Umai bags which are also popular. Another point here is that well established steak restaurants have access to the best cuts that you just can't get online. That doesn't mean you can't cook a better steak than 90% of what's out there, just that, unless you spend millions of dollars on beef you probably can't compete in that arena. Car dealers don't sell the most coveted slots for limited production cars to the guy that just walked into the showroom either.

I've found that as you go up in marbling the flavor and tenderness increases to a point. But at a certain point you need to change cooking techniques to best showcase the meat, and that is where things really become conflated. IMO throwing a piece of A5 (name your preferred cut) on a traditional grill would be a huge waste. Smaller portions are appropriate since they are terribly rich and are often described as "Beef flavored butter." I'd leave a true A5 graded beef experience in the hands of an experienced chef.

Sometimes you want a gourmet experience and sometimes you just want a good hamburger. They both have their place. Of course, there are those that believe "bigger is better" but I hope this post is helpful for those trying to decide what to try next.

NbyNW, Dom, tomc and 1 other person like this.
  21. Sparky49

Sparky49 Rookie

Jun 29, 2021
  22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  23. Sparky49

Sparky49 Rookie

Jun 29, 2021
    Cut it in 1 inch strips add a little bit of salt and pepper then you sear it for 1 minute on each side, then remove it from the pan and let it rest for three minutes. They recommend cooking it in either a cast-iron skillet or stainless steel skillet.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

tomc and Scudmsl like this.
  24. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    That is the correct method. Like eating little sticks of butter.

Sparky49 and tomc like this.