The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari | Page 10 | FerrariChat

The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ngcanada, May 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Could be a Manzoni comment as well..

The car does nothing for me and the sound is still not as good as a 458. But this thread is only about the sound and it is much better than any Ferrari turbo or hybrid or turbo-hybrid. Ferrari no longer has sound and that is very important for a modern exotic. A couple (few) years ago we were questioned by Ferrari as to the most important feature of their cars and the number one response was the sound. Just because the EU has gone lame doesn't change that fact.

G. Pepper and xfrgtr like this.
  2. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    even if it's not as good as 458 sound, C06 will be best sounding V8 on the market and that's something important in this sad times

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think it is hard to say exactly what it will sound like. The car is still being tested, so we dob't knkw what the finished product will be. I noticed something interesting from the video of the car, which was that the level ofcthe engine sound wasn't that loud. If you hear a 458 going around a track, the engine noise is much, much louder than the sound of the wind and wheels. But here it sounds like its the same. I wonder if the case is that it may have an n/a sound of a flat plane V8, but not a very powerful or loud one.

For those who would want the car in Europe the car will also feature GPF.

Just wondering what it will end up sounding like.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Is it direct injection? If not would it need GPF? Just asking because I don’t know.

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    From what I have read and understand, it's DFI. GM V8's have all been DFI since 2013 or so. Not even sure GM makes a gasoline engine at the moment which is not DFI no matter the size. Considering they are trying to do a technical tour de force on a budget, I doubt they would be satisfied with MPI. They have spent a lot of time developing DFI systems for their other engines, so it makes perfect sense that they use that know-how for the Corvette mill.

italiafan likes this.
  6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Okay, thanks!

7. Rembrandt

Rembrandt Rookie

Jan 26, 2017
    Everytime I see the new corvette C8 go by for a brief moment I think it’s a Ferrari. I get excited as then when I realize it’s a corvette I don’t get upset I just think that’s a beautiful looking car.

docf, Boomhauer, OSUferrari and 3 others like this.
  8. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That's exactly what happens to me too. At a quick glance, it's very Ferrari-like in overall form.

Also, that took a while from registration for you to make your first post. Welcome to the chat. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

Rembrandt and Thecadster like this.
  9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I am forever fascinated by first posts. It’s always interesting to see what pulls people off the sidelines and into the fray.

Rembrandt and NeuroBeaker like this.
  10. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Image Unavailable, Please Login One of my concerns regarding the C8 is quality. We all know GMs history. Well JD Powers Initial Quality survey reflects good news. The C8 was the best in its category

11. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Some of you guys need to learn the meaning of "Copy"...
    as in "GM copied the 458" , accompanied by much hand wringing and teeth gnashing.
    Really...
    How so?
    Construction? No. 458 is a monocoque, C8 is not. THAT alone shows that NO copying went on.
    Styling? No
    I guess they both have 4 wheels and are mid-engine.

The premise of this thread was the SOUND of the upcoming Z06. It then became a litany of uninformed, stereotypical "opinions" by people who more than likely don't own or have driven either a C8 OR a Ferrari.
    Sad...and tiring.

12. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    GM definitely copied the 458 styling and other features. So much so that GM even purchased a 458 Italia solely for their engineers to copy. Obviously not everything is copied, but the GM CEO even admitted the C8 was “inspired” by the 458. This is just not debatable, based on GM’s own statements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not really.

They have many technical similarities. Suspension, type of engine, type of transmission etc. It is common knowledge that GM aquired at least one 458. Do you think that was just a car for the employee of the month? Just because the C8 is not a carbon coly of the 458, does that not mean they didn't use it as a tool of reference. Considering how much success and development they have put into the LT1, LT2, LT4 and LT5, doesn't it strike you the least bit interesting that they choose to develop an engine with a flat plane crank, DOHC, DFI and variable intake? There's no doubt that they used that 458 as a source of "inspiration". There's nothing wrong with gettjng inspired, this is how technology trickles down. Part of why the C8 is so cheap, is because GM chose to use an already known technology rather than reinventing the wheel. That's just how it is, and there's nothing wrong with that. Do you really think they could have built and developed the C8 from a clean sheet of paper and sell it for 60 grand, without using some kind of proven designs and technologies? GM is a big company and sell more corvettes in one year than Ferrari sells cars in five years, but R&D is expensive for GM too. Ferrari has been a target for Corvette for years, don't for one second think they won't use any resource available. Get real, they do.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    You truly are delusional! The F8 is one of the most beautiful cars being made today. The C8 is ok but there are elements like the camaro taillights and ugly intakes that don’t work.

The C8 is a lot of car for the money and nice as a poor
    mans Ferrari.

Sound is defiantly an issue in the F8, I will give the C8 the win there.

xfrgtr likes this.
  15. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #240 jimmyb, Sep 5, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    Other than the silhouette of the 2 cars (which applies to MOST mid-engine cars), show me ONE styling element of the 458 that appears on the C8...ONE

Hood? Nope
    Side ventss? Nope
    Headlights? Nope
    Tail lights? Nope
    Front fascia? Nope
    Rear Fascia? Nope
    Anyone that mistakes a C8 for ANY Ferrari doesn't know what a Ferrari looks like. Now, coming down the road, it is possible to mistake a C8 for a McLaren because of the similar DRL's.
    So...Ferrari is the only company that uses:
    DOHC
    Flat plane crank
    Mid-engine
    DCT
    Mag ride (which, BTW, appeared on the C5 Corvette, LONG before Ferrari BOUGHT the technology from...GM... to use on their cars)
    Double wishbone suspension
    I suggest you get real, or take your Ferrari homer jacket off.

By Tadge's own admission, there was NO "tribal knowledge" within GM on the ins and outs of mid-engine construction. So they bought a 458. But to say that the C8 is a 458 copy is just silly. The cars share ONE common thing...both are mid engine. Beyond that, they couldn't be more different in how they go about their lives as cars.

PS. They are also benchmarking the GT2RS...do you think GM's making a rear engine car in the future?

16. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Brother, you’re alone on an island right now. No one agrees with you by any account.

This is an excellent article that is mandatory reading for this C8 debate.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xfrgtr and AD211 like this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You are kidding right?

Yes, GM has been doing DOHC for years, and? There's a big difference between doing your regular grocery getter and a mid engined sports car.

Look, I get it, you love your C8. I don't mean that as a derogatory thing, I just think you might be blinded.

I'm not in the camp that say the design is a copy, because the C8 looks nothing like a 458. That being said, I don't think that's a good thing as I don't really care for the looks.

Here's the thing. I can take it or leave it. I drive my cars and only own cars I like. I'm a Ferrari enthusiast, but that's not the same as being adverse to other brands.

I think you should embrace the fact that the bran you love have embraced what other higher end manufactures have developed, being it Ferrari or Porsche, or Lambo for that matter. Just know that your car while being a cool product, will not be of less value just because it's not an exotic. It's worth what you paid for it so enjoy it for what it is. That's the benefit of trickle-down technology, pure and simple.

18. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
  19. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. GM looked to the 458 to jump start its crossover into the world of mid engine super cars and they’ve done it using their tech using Ferraris 458 as blueprint in terms of form not necessarily substance.
    Remember GM stating they went as far with the front engine Corvette performance wise as they could and needed to go mid engine to bump it up? Well I guess they have never driven an 812 or MB GT Black series or they may have given the front engine another go around.
    I expect the Z06 and eventually the C9 Corvette to be even better which will push Ferrari to up their game again (which they will most assuredly)
    In the meantime,
    Everyone enjoy your ride!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I guess I don’t see how Chevy is necessarily copying Ferrari at all. Some of you guys seem awful upset about the C8. The hate is dumb.

21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    765LT anyone...any....one? Seven...six...anyone?....five...ellll...anyone?...teee...? Bueller? :D

22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    They aren't copying but like most manufacturers they test and study others to build a better product. Whether you like the C8 or not it has been a hit. We get them through our shop on a regular basis and the quality is pretty darn good and the paint is probably better than Ferraris. I'll reserve my my opinion otherwise amd to each their own.

23. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've had three older Ferraris (two manuals). This car new with a warranty would be the bomb.

24. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Wait...a guy, writing for a FERRARI magazine, has put me on an "island"?
    What a joke...
    I especially like the "mandatory reading" comment. Who knew a guy paid to write nice stuff about Ferrari would be such an unbiased reviewer? I look forward to his thoughts on the 992 GT3. I'm sure they will be equally "fair".

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  25. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What I’m getting at is, if Corvette is building a high revving Z06 and ones only interest is Ferraris then why care? Because they be benchmarked a 458? They benchmark a lot of cars. It will look nothing like a 458 inside or out. It was probably drive relatively dissimilar from a 458. And the 458 is almost 12 years old. Plus, if something is a good idea, like a high revving V8, then why wouldn’t GM want to do it if they have the ability?

In regards to the comments comparing back to back driving of an F8 and a C8. Of course the F8 is better. It’s 4-5x as expensive ffs. And yes if you drove them back to back you would notice a big dynamic difference. But that’s not how we drive cars. You buy one and live with it and either bond or not. The C8 is a car you can bond with. It’s inexpensive, exotic enough looking, decent sound, amazing ride quality, good performance and no fear factor of leaving anywhere.

Gh21631 likes this.