car design thread | Page 506 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I was under the impression that Mark's relationship with Alain Clenet may have been a partnership, at least later on when they were working on a Jeep type vehicle.

I have seen his original renderings he did for the magazines back in the mid to late 1970. Done on illustration board with marker and chalk.

rmnunez and jm2 like this.
  2. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss

Designers: sharpen your rapiers: Your opinion of my design critique: 2023 Z

The car world has been waiting for the new Z for some time. The Z started out as a simple car more than 50 years ago and evolved as tastes changed, at one time it was even a 2 plus 2.

It is aimed at a different market (or is $40,000 a low cost car now?) in that it is expected to be around 40K before you order a special limited edition model. The only engine talked about so far is a 400-hp. V6, achieving that power through twin turbos. There will be a 6 speed manual or automatic available.

The newer one is roughly 5 inches longer than the 370Z but to me still looks short and stubby. . It still has some of the design cues of the first gen and all the generations since. It is an exceedingly simple design.
    Doubtless it will be modified for markets in different countries and no doubt the aftermarket will be offering wider fenders, different spoilers and a host of other parts intended to take it in one direction or another.
    This reaction is based on the photographs--no doubt when I able to see it in person, and run my hand over a fender ridge or two, I will have a different opinion.
    But since the car won't have a press preview until 2022, that's a helluva long wait so, for those deciding to buy a car now or to wait for this one, here's my opinion.

FRONT A similar hood. headlight and fender relationship as the very first one. I wish they had picked a later model but at least it has modern in vogue headlights with two LED horizontal strips giving the car character. The first spy pictures didn't have a grille. This production one one does but it's an overly chromed grille, when I think cross hatch wire grille (like sporting Bentleys) would have been sportier. This grille actually looks like in an industrial kitchen, metal trays stacked on a shelf.

REAR The rear haunches are muscular without promising too much (like the 427 Cobra's rear fenders do). The tail lights seem generic--like "We'll take some horizontals" but aren't designed to fit in any carved out space designed just for them. They look simple in daytime but at night have a sort of interesting 3D effect--like they are floating. The rear spoiler is just tacked on, when the design could have included it as part of the body (though sometimes automakers go too far with that s in the BMW Z4)

SIDE The side is very clever considering it's got a short fat shape and is trying to look sporty. The side sculpturing is not exaggerated, and makes use of a small horizontal "rocker panel extension": for want of a better word to control airflow. The door handles are body color, much distracting as the outsize vertical metal one on the last 370Z. The roofline has a delightful bright piece that goes from the windscreen 3/4 of the way to the rear of the car, defining the shape.

INTERIOR
    All new with an optional set of gauges projected electronically. One interesting retro touch is three gauges in pods on top of the instrument panel-harkening back to gauges of earlier models.

COLORS There will be six two tones, probably with the roof staying black no matter what the other color. and a few solid colors and colors only for limited editions.

IN SUM:It is a child of the family, with many character lines that say "Z" but not a dramatic sports car per se say like the F-type Jag. It projects a modest image, but at least it doesn't go overboard like the 2020 Corvette which is hurt by overdone details (like the art deco influence on the coupe's rear window frame) . I predict it will evolve so fast that, five years from now, it will not be appropriate to call it "modest."

What say you?

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    54 Photos
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Texas Forever and jm2 like this.
  3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Here's another designer's analysis of the 'new' Countach
    NEW Lamborghini Countach: BAD or GOOD?! And why...? Car designer reacts! | Niels van Roij Design

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Wow, someone made a coupé version of a BMW Z8! :cool:

I am not a convertible fan at all, and the bolt-on hard top just looked naff, so this finally fixes the Z8 design for me. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

anunakki, Qvb, Tenney and 2 others like this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Not bad, not bad at all.
    A little 'bulbous' for me, but not bad.

6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Wonder if that new top is fixed or removable?

FantomWorks in Norfolk, VA made a removable 1963 Corvette Split Window hardtop several years ago.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

330 4HL, NeuroBeaker and jm2 like this.
  7. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm with him on the side treatments. The sill shape is kind of an add-on and the side intakes should have been NACA ducts.

Otherwise, terrific. I don't think the top intakes should have been the huge boxes he suggested though, it's much cleaner and more modern as they did it.

All the best,
    Andrew.

jm2 likes this.
  8. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I think it's fixed on the new Z8.

That's a neat solution for convertible hardtops. It's much more integrated than the steep-backed bolt-on normally applied, which looks out of place with the flow.

All the best,
    Andrew.

9. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Pretty cool - looks kinda 2+2 - back seats?

10. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Hey, I worked on that car :)

anunakki, rmnunez, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  11. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I think it's still a 2-seater.

All the best,
    Andrew.

12. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    On the original convertible Z8 or the new Z8 coupé?

All the best,
    Andrew.

13. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    The coupe.

NeuroBeaker, jm2 and Tenney like this.
  14. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Tenney, jm2 and Qvb like this.
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    anunakki, of2worlds, Tenney and 2 others like this.
  16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    are black wheels a result of design following culture?

jm2 likes this.
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Good question. Not sure where the black wheel thing first started.
    Racing cars were certainly an influence. My experience however was seeing black wheels on prototype cars driving around at the Proving Grounds, and cheap entry level cars with wheel covers. Not a good look, IMO.

18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Design wise? They coulda done better.

Car wise? 400 ponies for $40k with a warranty? I'm in.

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Race cars. For some reason, black wheels became the thing.

Tenney and jm2 like this.
  20. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Hides the brake dust in the winner's circle?

Texas Forever likes this.
  21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Frankly, you’d think less paint would be better on wheels, but what do I know?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Tenney likes this.
  22. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    jm2 and of2worlds like this.
  23. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I owned a Cadillac Escalade for a few months. It was structurally unsafe, required a replacement chassis, and would have cost twice what it was worth to do the bare minimum to make it safe to drive. I put less than 500 miles on it driving it home and to my local garage, before eventually being forced to (successfully) sue the authorized dealer who fraudulently misrepresented the condition to me throughout the sale. I did eventually get my money back and costs covered.

I actually appealed to Cadillac/GM directly to assist in meditating an amicable solution prior to the lawsuit, but they distanced themselves and said it was nothing to do with them. They kept referring me to the dealership's customer experience manager when the dealer principal had already told me to get lost.

I love the designs, which is what compelled me to seek out a Cadillac in the first place. The interior is particularly well-thought out in the Escalade with luxury, utility, and a great use of space. However, I dislike the business practices and ethics of the company. For those reasons, it was likely both my first and last Cadillac.

I can see why it would be thought of as a luxury collectible. However, if you do buy one from a dealership with the expectation that the dealership or the company will stand behind the product, caveat emptor.

All the best,
    Andrew.

jm2 likes this.
  24. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I can see that. Kids who grew up seeing Rappers and Athletes pimping Escalades will eventually, like every other generation, want to own a piece of that childhood.

Theres tons of real crap, from cars to clothes to video games, that have increased in value because certain generations grew up coveting them.

Thats how I make my living :D

jm2 and of2worlds like this.
  25. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    jm2 likes this.