Repaint 88TR | FerrariChat

Repaint 88TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by OptimusPrime, Apr 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Formula Junior

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    My car was originally painted Blue Chiaro Metallica with black leather from the factory. When it was ordered, black was not available without a long wait so it was painted black with less than 3000 miles. I have decided to repaint original color. I have posted pics of Black car and stripped down prep and prime. I will post more as we progress. Does anyone know what satin black paint is used on spoiler and middle of strakes?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Looking foreword to the pics.

3. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Love that color. Curious what the cost of a paint job is going for these days.

4. OptimusPrime

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Estimate is $20K, I let you know where the final cost comes in at.

Tulammo762 and EZORED like this.
  5. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Have to say it looks really nice in black with the front spoiler and rocker panels also painted in gloss body color. Will these be returned to the original matte black?

MOSS likes this.
  6. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Color changes are so hard. Black was very nice. Blue is cool as well

7. OptimusPrime

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Well it took a lot longer to get all the grates parts and things painted back to original color. All original except for the chrome vents and chrome cavallino on back..I think. I like the black too, but also like this original Blue Chiaro Metallica. Change is good. Cost almost double what I planned, but I did not do it to make a profit but more as a challenge and a love for these cars. you can tell this is a cell phone pic as it looks better in person.

8. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Well done. Looks spectacular.

9. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Wow! Looks great, $40 Large! Curious why it got so expensive?

10. MGJBLKTR

MGJBLKTR Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    MGJ
    Beautiful!

11. OptimusPrime

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Got expensive because stripping paint was required everywhere as the black paint was flaking off because it was painted over the Blue without proper prep and therefore was not sticking so it all had to come off otherwise the new paint might flack off some day. Also, taking apart the grates and all the parts took a lot more time than anticipated. There are now three coats of paint and a lot of hours polishing the final coat to a glass looking finish. There were a few dings that were repaired and the car is now flawless with all surfaces clean and sharp the the eye. Everything was taken apart except the windshield (too risky). There were some gaps between panels, headlights..etc that needed alignment, Made doors perfect again, and all the little things that needed to be sorted out added up to more than 500 hours of labor. The good news is that there was no evidence of any accident or rust. I asked 2NA do the belt service before the paint job and engine now runs great as well. I previously put in a one piece diff, so all set to go.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  12. OptimusPrime

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Actually I paid $35K, but invoice was close to $40K. Shop was not happy and does not like it when they are so far off estimate so they dropped ~$5K off. Not the first TR they did, but there was much more going on with mine. There was also that sound max stuff that they had to remove and that was a pain to get into the windows to remove the grates. It's a well known small one owner shop that works on these kind of cars. They finished painting (or touching up a 1960's 250 short wheel base Ferrari when I dropped mine off. They don't pass over something that is not right, they fix it, I had a rattle inside the door and they spent a few days fixing that and cleaning up old green grease so both windows went up and down quick again.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  13. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Perhaps any chance of putting original wheels and removing the non-original non-factory fender shields?

14. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Thanks for the explanation! Enjoy, you are now over the hump and should have many years for enjoyment !

15. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Blue is where its at!

16. OptimusPrime

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I like the speed line wheels and still have the original wheels. I went back and forth on the shields and may remove someday..or not.

17. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Let’s see some more pics!

18. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    No shields! One mans opinion!

Jakuzzi and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  19. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Excellent choice to go back to blue despite the cost. IMHO it can’t be beaten on a TR.
    All the ‘little jobs’ like door alignment and gapping and really proper paint preparation are actually not little, they are what separates an ok ish job from a really great one. Paint itself is not cheap these days either.
    Now go and let the flat 12 SING.

best.
    Mark

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Looks great ! Looks like a fine job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Amen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. OptimusPrime

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Enzo Belair and EZORED like this.
  23. dickyb

dickyb Rookie

Feb 2, 2012
    UK
    Spectacular colour!

24. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    looks GREAT!

25. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    True, specially since it did not leave the factory that way. I would also go for original wheels/rims, but all of this that is up the owner; it is his car nonetheless. :)